Really. No aspect of personality is innate.Really? Sexual orientation is not innate?
Weird question. I've never needed to be told what's abnormal. It's unmistakable in my experience. I suppose a statistician or psychiatrist.Who do we go to tell us what is abnormal?
I'm a skeptic. I don't have a church.Your church?
The word games are tiresome, I'm not playing. Actors in costume obviously aren't sexually aroused by the costumes. They aren't prostitutes.Would you let your children see Mrs. Doubtfire? Or do you deny that Robin Williams performed in drag? How about Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies? Jack Benny in Charlies Aunt? How about Nathan Lane in The Producers and Birdcage?
Again, what you think has no bearing on the matter.By the way, I think hateful bigotry is not innate. Bigots were taught to be ignorant.
This is sexually alluring? https://dinamartina.com
I'm going to be very clear here.
Drag shows are not inherently sexual.
They certainly can be, just like other kinds of stage performance. But there is nothing inherently sexual about wearing the clothes generally associated with a different gender.
Not all drag shows are burlesque.I'm referring to the content of the shows,Edited by zooterkin:<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.Edited by zooterkin:<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
Really. No aspect of personality is innate.
I'm a skeptic. ....
I'm referring to the content of the shows,Edited by zooterkin:<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.Edited by zooterkin:<SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12.
LMAO! Dude, leaving aside the overwhelming connotation of 'fetish', the conversation you were responding to besides being about people wanting to restrict all drag events to people over the age of 18 was specifically discussing Warp12's view and WWBDD's that the reason to do this is that drag is sexual. Indeed WWBDD's, deeply wrong, argument that drag is all transvestic fetishism as listed in the DSM removes all ambiguity as to what way 'fetish' was being used.
And it's pretty damn funny for you to think that there aren't a lot of people who do have sexual fetishes for the things you listed.
If you really meant to argue that drag is all a non-sexual fetish, well...
...then you're just making another deeply silly argument. This is akin to saying 'why does this character have to be gay/black/a woman'? Reading events have many different themes and drag ones became popular because kids like the colorful outfits and characters, and get a lot of news because of the unlit candles who oppose them.
If the best you can come up with is 'you'd have to be a fetishist to combine these', that still leaves my objection intact. Your motivations and assumptions are not universal. No, one does not need to be a fetishists of any kind to happen upon that theme. Obviously.
I cosplay. One of my costumes is Freddy Fazbear from the horror jumpscare video game 'Five Nights at Freddy's'. Every time I've worn that outfit, of an animation bear haunted by the ghosts of murdered children who come alive at night to brutally kill more people, kids come up and love it. Absolutely adore the costume. Can you see how someone could say, 'hey, that'd be a great thing to read to kids in!' without being a fetishist? No?
Again, that's a you problem.
But since nobody here is doing that ....Dictionaries are descriptive in use, yes. We normies often get colorful in our use of the language, and get annoyed with those who fetishize dictionary definitions to the point of exclusivity. .
For those of us who aren't anal retentive ******** who spend all day jerking it to dictionaries,, fetish commonly means something you get weirdly hung up on.
It's the classic troll tactic of "words mean whatever suits me".Actually fetish means what the dictionary says.
But even using it with your definition it doesn't make sense on the context. Who are you saying is weirdly hung up on what? Why is it weird? Just because you don't like it?
It's why the adult promoters/organizers say "no, we don't want colorful people to engage children when reading stories. We want specifically men in pantyhose and stuffed bras. That's what does it for us". Ya that's a bit odd.
I grew up in Britain. Every Christmas we all got taken to be entertained by men in pantyhose and stuffed bras.
Have to say when I first learnt about the "Drag Queen Story hour" I was somewhat bemused, couldn't see a direct link to reading, but if it gets more kids interested in reading, books and the library by making them all seem fun (of course there is no "seems" they are all fun but often adults make them seem like chores or boring) then why ever not?
I'm kinda in the same area. My issue is that I can't make a good case why this should be a thing and I can't make a good case why this shouldn't be a thing?
I think Robin sums it up well just above with the "Let's have people from a highly popular, time honoured form of entertainment reading stories."
It's not honored in my neighborhood, bro.
Your neighbourhood is not the world bro...