• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Dr OZ Redux / Scientific evidence that he's a quack

I do so hope that if someone dies from one of that ***********s crap advice thast his ass can be sued for way more than he's worth (and in one sense he is worth jack **** ) and the suers will win - with an add-on million or ten just as pure punishment. And the broadcast outlet for it also sued successfully and hard.

I am quite certain this will never happen. Dr. Oz's recommendations are vague enough that it would be pretty much impossible to directly link them to any death. Or to any outcome, really.

And I doubt it is accidental.
 
Is an MD a master? It's a three year college, which can be followed up with a PHD. in a specialty. I read some where years ago that we just respectfully call them Doctor. So I don't know which came first, the PHD being called "Doctor". or the MD being called the same, but I know MDs used to apprentice for the job.

But click my heels and get back to Oz, does he actually practice some where? Has he got a current state cert?
 
Last edited:
Is an MD a master? It's a three year college, which can be followed up with a PHD. in a specialty. I read some where years ago that we just respectfully call them Doctor. So I don't know which came first, the PHD being called "Doctor". or the MD being called the same, but I know MDs used to apprentice for the job.

But click my heels and get back to Oz, does he actually practice some where? Has he got a current state cert?

He is something like the vice-chair of Cardiac Surgery at Columbia Medical School.

He was actually a very well respected and accomplished cardiac surgeon, and, he probably still is. However, as an overall doctor, he's lost a lot of respect.
 
Oz is an MD. .

Are you sure he doesn't also have a PhD? Med school faculty generally do (I don't think he's just a clinical professor)

ETA: I don't find a thesis for him in dissertations abstracts, so maybe not
 
Last edited:
Are you sure he doesn't also have a PhD? Med school faculty generally do (I don't think he's just a clinical professor)

ETA: I don't find a thesis for him in dissertations abstracts, so maybe not

He is a surgeon and supposedly quite good at it.

Being a TV star is very seductive. I have no idea if he went full bore in the BS or if it was a gradual slide but at some point the pursuit of ratings will win out if you want to keep your show.
 
He is something like the vice-chair of Cardiac Surgery at Columbia Medical School.

He was actually a very well respected and accomplished cardiac surgeon, and, he probably still is. However, as an overall doctor, he's lost a lot of respect.
To say the least. Why would anyone do this being in such a position already? Can't be money. Excessive desire for fame (which also baffles me)?
 
I am quite certain this will never happen. Dr. Oz's recommendations are vague enough that it would be pretty much impossible to directly link them to any death. Or to any outcome, really.

And I doubt it is accidental.
Never saw his show but I'd bet he's also careful about how he words things for similar reasons a la Mercola, like "could" and "may" do this or that/ad nauseam.
 
To say the least. Why would anyone do this being in such a position already? Can't be money. Excessive desire for fame (which also baffles me)?

What do you mean, "Can't be the money"? A cardiac surgeon at Columbia might make $500K a year.

How many millions does he make now?
 
Dr. Oz doesn't vaccinate his children. Not his choice, his wife's choice. That's right, America's doctor has no balls, and lets his crank wife make that kind of decision. WOW. She's also the one who introduced him to Swedenborgianism. That's right. Dr. Oz is a big fan of the dude who astral travelled to Venus and found people living there. Mars too. Amazing.
 
Not surprising for someone who promotes reiki (laying of hands) faith healing, homeopathy, psychic communication with the dead, and allows psychic healers to interrupt his surgery sessions to come in and wave their hands over the patient while the surgeons are forced to stand by. Despite his stupid beliefs, he's still considered one of the best cardiac surgeons in the country.

I suppose there's always the risk that the smarter you are, the more likely you are to believe in BS, because you won't let anyone challenge your views.
 
What do you mean, "Can't be the money"? A cardiac surgeon at Columbia might make $500K a year.

How many millions does he make now?
Good point. How could someone get by on $500K/yr? What a ripoff, all that training to work for peanuts.
 
People need more evidence that Dr Oz is a quack? The first time I ever saw a bit of his show on TV by chance, his peddling of weight loss pills (or supplements or whatever it was) was such blatant quackery, it made my baloney detection kit explode. I had to contact Dr. Carl Sagan's estate to get a new one.
 
People need more evidence that Dr Oz is a quack? The first time I ever saw a bit of his show on TV by chance, his peddling of weight loss pills (or supplements or whatever it was) was such blatant quackery, it made my baloney detection kit explode. I had to contact Dr. Carl Sagan's estate to get a new one.

My most recent exposure was while giving blood. The phlebotomists were all in awe of how smart he was and I was very nervous about the skills of the people poking my veins. Very nervous.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom