BillC
Bazooka Joe
I understand we have a mental illness thread, and a Why does Tump lie all the time? thread, but I felt there was something to this topic that lay outside these two.
For a long time, I have wondered: does the man actually believe what comes out of his mouth, or is he knowingly lying? Despite him being one of the most studied, analysed and written-about individuals on Earth, I felt I was no closer to answering it, and I was sceptical anyone else really knew either. When he repeats long- and easily debunked lies, perhaps it was possible that deep down he knew them to be untrue. Or had he convinced himself they were true, and was repeating them sincerely?
Make of this next step what you will, but I put the following question to Grok:
Psychologically, can people who lie end up genuinely believing the lies they have told? Or can it be impossible to tell?
And this is what it replied with:
So much of this behaviour pattern we see from Trump that I have swung towards the idea that, yes, he genuinely does believe his own ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊. Maybe not at first -- it comes out as a direct and calculated lie, but over time, his mind pushes his words into (for him) the realm of truth.
For a long time, I have wondered: does the man actually believe what comes out of his mouth, or is he knowingly lying? Despite him being one of the most studied, analysed and written-about individuals on Earth, I felt I was no closer to answering it, and I was sceptical anyone else really knew either. When he repeats long- and easily debunked lies, perhaps it was possible that deep down he knew them to be untrue. Or had he convinced himself they were true, and was repeating them sincerely?
Make of this next step what you will, but I put the following question to Grok:
Psychologically, can people who lie end up genuinely believing the lies they have told? Or can it be impossible to tell?
And this is what it replied with:
Yes, psychologically, people who lie can — and often do — end up genuinely believing the lies they have told. This phenomenon is well-supported in psychology and is closely tied to self-deception, motivated reasoning, cognitive dissonance reduction, and memory distortion.
Here's how it typically works:
That said, it isn't universal — some people (especially calculated or "natural" liars) remain fully aware their statements are false and experience no belief shift. The difference often depends on:
- When someone tells a lie (especially repeatedly), holding both the truth and the lie in mind creates psychological discomfort — known as cognitive dissonance. To reduce this tension, the brain often reshapes beliefs to align with behavior. Over time, the person may come to accept the false version as true, particularly if the lie serves self-esteem, avoids guilt, or justifies actions.
- Self-deception mechanisms help this process. Research shows people engage in biased information processing: they selectively seek/interpret evidence that supports the lie, discount contradictory facts, and even distort memories (e.g., misremembering events in a self-serving way). Evolutionary psychologists argue this ability may have evolved partly to make deception of others more convincing — if you believe your own story, you show fewer tell-tale signs of lying (like inconsistent body language or hesitation).
- In cases of habitual, compulsive, or pathological lying, belief in one's own fabrications is especially common. Many such individuals repeat elaborate stories so often that the boundary between truth and fiction blurs; they may defend the lie passionately even when confronted with clear evidence. Studies on pathological lying note that people can develop a "weak grip on reality" regarding their falsehoods, genuinely experiencing them as accurate.
- Everyday examples abound: someone exaggerates achievements repeatedly until they "remember" the inflated version as fact; a person in denial about infidelity convinces themselves it "didn't mean anything" or "never happened"; or politicians/scammers who start with strategic lies but grow to sincerely believe their own narrative.
Can it be impossible to tell? Often yes — from the outside, and sometimes even from the inside. A person who has fully self-deceived will appear (and feel) completely sincere. They pass lie-detection cues because there is no internal conflict left to leak out. Therapists or close observers might spot inconsistencies over time, but distinguishing "genuine belief in a falsehood" from "knowing deception" can be extremely difficult without deep insight into their history and thought processes.
- Motivation (self-protective lies are more likely to be internalized than purely manipulative ones)
- Repetition and emotional investment
- Personality factors (e.g., higher in narcissistic or borderline traits)
- Individual differences in self-awareness
In short: the human mind is remarkably flexible at protecting itself from uncomfortable truths, and repeatedly lying is one of the most powerful ways to recruit that flexibility.
So much of this behaviour pattern we see from Trump that I have swung towards the idea that, yes, he genuinely does believe his own ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊. Maybe not at first -- it comes out as a direct and calculated lie, but over time, his mind pushes his words into (for him) the realm of truth.
Last edited: