• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Does the soul exist?

It looks to me like you thought I was being serious. The wink smiley was meant to apply to the whole paragraph.


When I wrote my reply, I did think you were serious. My apologies. After reading over your previous posts, however, I realised you were being sarcastic, but didn't post a clarification out of laziness.

...like asking how many fairies on ends of needles (I think the original was angels on head of pin, but nice literary twist, actually, whether accidental or not, reminding us that angels are just fairies and even poor men don't fit through the eye of a pin.


It was accidental, but I'll take credit for the clever literary twist anyway. :)

...I see belief in mathematical principles and scientific proofs as only relatively more reasonable. All systems of understanding are incomplete.


I only partly agree with you here. I agree that all systems of understanding are incomplete, but mathematical principles and scientific proofs are accepted based on evidence... which I consider a very reasonable approach. It is unreasonable to pray to god to give you the power to fly and then jump off a cliff, but it is very reasonable to jump of a cliff if you have a hand-glider and know how to use it, because based on the evidence hand-gliders generally land safely, while cliff jumpers do not. And they land safely because their construction is based on understood scientific and mathematical principles.

Robert Oz.
 
Toady, I agree that if there is a soul or afterlife it might be beyond comprehension. I am less comfortable with statements like "It's frustrating that we'll never know before we die", though. It is, I think, one of those ideas that subtly persuades us that it is as reasonable to believe in an afterlife as not, or rather, it allows those who are inclined towards that magical belief in the first place to believe that there's nothing silly about it. Reason would tell us that the statement, "There may be a secret realm of invisible dragons running the world, which is why we can't always make sense of it" is exactly on a par with "There may be an afterlife", only we don't tend to make up endless possible but unlikely things like that just for the sake of it...and then fail to overcome our belief in them.

Furthermore, of course, if there is no afterlife, it is untrue to say we will know the truth when we're dead, because we wouldn't know anything when we're dead, which condition is supported most strongly by scientific evidence and commonsense. I may not believe in an afterlife and be surprised to discover I'm wrong, but it seems impossible to believe in one and be surprised to wind up really dead.

I also changed 'would be' to 'might be' in your statement about an afterlife. Again, the common idea that an afterlife, if there were one, must naturally be incomprehensible or even unknown disguises the same mistaken thinking. It is not at all incomprehensible, for one thing, and can be readily understood, and I could explain a secret realm of dragons just as plainly. Both are unknown, and from that lack of evidence, combined with a willingness to believe, springs the odd attribution of incomprehensibility. There's no reason it should be unknown. There's no reason dead people don't tell us they're enjoying another life, is there? Apart from the same reason my dragons are invisible.
 
Toady, I agree that if there is a soul or afterlife it might be beyond comprehension. I am less comfortable with statements like "It's frustrating that we'll never know before we die", though. It is, I think, one of those ideas that subtly persuades us that it is as reasonable to believe in an afterlife as not, or rather, it allows those who are inclined towards that magical belief in the first place to believe that there's nothing silly about it. Reason would tell us that the statement, "There may be a secret realm of invisible dragons running the world, which is why we can't always make sense of it" is exactly on a par with "There may be an afterlife", only we don't tend to make up endless possible but unlikely things like that just for the sake of it...and then fail to overcome our belief in them.

I was making the point that there's no evidence of an afterlife in our physical world, so the only way we'd discover there is one is by dying.
 
Last edited:
I was making the point that there's no evidence of an afterlife in our physical world, so the only way we'd discover there is one is by dying.
Yes. I didn't intend to criticise your point at all, it just made me think how that self-evident truth is often used to rationalise a belief in God, an afterlife, etc.
 
I stopped believing in souls when I realized no one has a good definition for it. As for everything you mentioned, it's just an arguement from incredulity. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it has to be this nebulous "soul" thing that can be whatever you want it to be. It's ok to Not Know. Not Knowing now doesn't mean Not Knowing later.

my two cents:

The Greek word for soul is 'psuche' (puh soo kay). http://online.ectaco.co.uk/main.jsp...tus=translate&lang1=23&lang2=el&source=psyche It has various meanings such as life energy, mind, emotions, and "heart" (kardia). It generally refers to the inner being which is an amalgam of thoughts and emotions. The English word for psyche is derived from the Greek work psuche and its meaning(s). Therefore, if one can conclude that the psyche exists, one can also conclude that the soul exists being that they are the same phenomenon though understood through differing paradigms: the religious, the psychological, the metaphysical, etc.

Oh yeah...

I almost forgot...

check Jung quote below
 
Last edited:
my two cents:

The Greek word for soul is 'psuche' (puh soo kay). http://online.ectaco.co.uk/main.jsp...tus=translate&lang1=23&lang2=el&source=psyche It has various meanings such as life energy, mind, emotions, and "heart" (kardia). It generally refers to the inner being which is an amalgam of thoughts and emotions. The English word for psyche is derived from the Greek work psuche and its meaning(s). Therefore, if one can conclude that the psyche exists, one can also conclude that the soul exists being that they are the same phenomenon though understood through differing paradigms: the religious, the psychological, the metaphysical, etc.
Yes, ruach1, I think I see what you mean. It's a good point and I have some sympathy with it. I think it's good to be reminded that there are different paradigms from which to judge things. Certainly, from a personal-psychological perspective, I can say that the soul 'exists', that I can define it (for instance as "an amalgam of thoughts and emotions"). I can say that I have a 'mind' and define it exactly the same, or, if I wish, make some distinction between that and 'soul'. The deeper question, however, concerns what qualities we attribute to something we define, or, to put it another way, in the context of this discussion about 'soul' how we define it. Some immediately think 'soul' means something immortal, but an 'amalgam' doesn't have to include that quality as part of its definition.

From an onlological or philosophical point of view, there's a flavour of this that concerns whether something is 'real' (but, problematically, 'real' is another word and can be defined in different ways). Take 'rainbow': everyone knows that rainbows 'exist', if we take a simplistic view, but we might argue about whether they are 'real' (or even if they exist, since again that is just another word we can define as we like). However, the point is that we can analyse the causes of rainbows and realise that they are not made of strands of coloured sky, as a child might assume, but the diffracted light reaching the viewer from different angles within a cloud of water droplets or similar (you don't need water or sunlight or 'sky' to make them). 'Rainbow' is not what we'd describe as a physical object in and of itself, but an effect of other physical objects. It is a similar perspective that many scientists and sceptics would bring to the 'psyche', 'mind' or 'soul', i.e. that when we experiment and dissect and analyse and probe and think about these things, they show all the signs of being rainbow-like, figments, effects. And just as people once thought that rainbows were solid realities, and must have asked 'Where did it go?' when the effect ended, they did the same natural thing with the thought-emotion amalgam.

Furthermore, the hardest bit to get my head round, but I'll try a bit longer yet, some say that even the observer, the 'consciousness', which we can probably agree has to 'exist' phenomenologically for us to see a rainbow or discuss psychology, is likewise a transitory, inseparable, non-'real' effect, one that has the curious quality of being able to become aware of its 'existence' through strange loops of self-referential computation.

Oh yeah...

I almost forgot...

check Jung quote below
But I don't understand. What did he mean? How could/did he "demonstrate empirically the existence of a totality supraordinate to consciousness"? What is that? It just sounds like 'the universe' to me...but I'm afraid I recognise Jung as just another dreamer nowadays, making up theories about collective consciousness and reinterpreting ancient superstitions about ghosts and qualia.
 
FROM JOHN FREESTONE:

Yes, ruach1, I think I see what you mean. It's a good point and I have some sympathy with it. I think it's good to be reminded that there are different paradigms from which to judge things. Certainly, from a personal-psychological perspective, I can say that the soul 'exists', that I can define it (for instance as "an amalgam of thoughts and emotions"). I can say that I have a 'mind' and define it exactly the same, or, if I wish, make some distinction between that and 'soul'.

Well that was refreshing. Though a .5/day poster, I've been on this site for years now, and that was a very cordial, humane response to my post. Not quite what I'm accustomed to when posting in the "Religion" threads. Thanks. (Jeesh Ruach, you want a little cheese with that wine?)

The deeper question, however, concerns what qualities we attribute to something we define, or, to put it another way, in the context of this discussion about 'soul' how we define it. Some immediately think 'soul' means something immortal, but an 'amalgam' doesn't have to include that quality as part of its definition.

Yes, yes, yes. When posting, I usually concern myself with the OP (original post). The question was not "What are the qualities/faculties of a purposed soul?" but: "Does the soul exist?" From my point of view, the soul does exist because of my understanding of the word soul coming into English from the Greek. However, certain questions do come to mind pertaining to the established existence of the soul due to seemingly obvious associations with religion, metaphysics, art, science, psychology, etc. As of this moment, I do not have the time to write an exposition on the properties of the soul. However, I can say that attitude plays a great part in the quest to understand the soul. If one comes into the search with preconceptions that are held to with unwavering confidence, the search to find the human soul will be a short one in numerous categories.


But I don't understand. What did he mean? How could/did he "demonstrate empirically the existence of a totality supraordinate to consciousness"? What is that? It just sounds like 'the universe' to me...but I'm afraid I recognise Jung as just another dreamer nowadays, making up theories about collective consciousness and reinterpreting ancient superstitions about ghosts and qualia.

That's a tall order to fill, JF. What he meant by demonstrating the existence of the Superconscious through empirical means is that quest/search I mentioned earlier. You can only do it on your own, and from what I know, I can't and won't give a blurb of an answer on a website and think I've answered the question in the manner fitting. I can, however, point you in the right direction and say, "Have fun!" because it was a sheer delight to have sought after the meaning of the human soul through the Jungian perspective. Here is an excellent start:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1222639520/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=jung&rh=i:aps,k:jung&page=1
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...&field-keywords=joseph+campbell&sprefix=Josep

Have fun!
 
Last edited:
I'm very pleased you found my response cordial, ruach1 (I'm not always, I regret to admit). This is such a difficult point to discuss, because you are (I mean, seem to be) appealing to a search and a corresponding realm of knowledge that is private. There is nothing wrong with that. It is a reasonable and defensible philosophy that most, if not all, religions and mystical philosophies include somewhere in their canon. The Ultimate Reality, Truth, or even just a discrete aspect of reality such as the human 'soul' might be knowable only individually by such an internal quest, meditation or whatever.

The difficulty is that here we are (a group of people reading a thread on a forum, or a whole species) trying to increase our understanding and knowledge though discussion, argument, comparison, persuasion and reasoning, and if some important aspect of reality is not amenable to such forms of collaborative education, but only privately contemplated, discussion becomes either pretty useless or just a helpful introduction and pointer towards the real, internal search (as you have pointed me to some work by Jung, and those words he wrote would be pointers, but eventually I would have to look into myself and 'do the work').

All of that was my own philosophy for many many years, but recently I have begun to doubt it. For one thing, it strikes me as rather odd that an aspect of reality (such as the soul) - even if it can only be known intuitively and non-verbally - could not be pointed to in more rigorous linguistic terms and related to the enormous edifice of scientific knowledge that we already have. If that sounds confusing, I mean that those who have seen this internal truth should still, I think, be able to say fairly clearly how it behaves in relation to outside matters, what causes it, or if it causes all else as some say, and how so.

Now, of course, that is what a great many religions do say, but each tells it completely differently from the next. This is an important indicator, in my new sceptical mindset, that what has been 'seen' internally is likely to have been imagined, i.e. scientifically approachable (non-internal) bio-physical phenomena that are translated through cultural filters into myths of spirit, soul, magic and other non-physical dimensional inventions. It is possible that each religion expresses a great unifying truth beyond their different linguistic interpretations (which is what I hoped), but we must at least consider the sadder alternative. ...and in passing, it's also worth noting that the fact that it is a sadder alternative (who wouldn't want to have secret depths of intuitive understanding at the end of a 'spiritual' quest, if not indeed a benificent ruler of the universe?) also stands in the place of motive for self-deception and (usually innocent) cultural indoctrination. Soul myths and God myths keep things sweet for us and between us. [EDIT: I mean, that is their biological function within a like-minded community - of course, between disputing factions they seem to have the opposite effect.]

So, as a concrete example, if Jung is right in proposing such things as archetypes, that is fine, but it seems that there is such an enormous amount of evidence for the evolution of human beings through all the vaguaries of chance mutations and natural selection that, as a scientist, I require archetypes to have some relationship with this physical reality. We can describe them as 'memes' (ideas), such as "Sage", and propose that we all have them because they are somehow inherited in the patterns of brain development. We can consider 'soul' in the same way - a word for an idea that has certain meanings, repeated though our evolution with such importance for survival that it becomes 'hard-wired' as it were into our brains. The idea that I am a (soul-like) person inhabiting a body, rather than a body having the idea, might be another such bio-archetypal meme. What I'm not prepared to accept is (as I understand Jung to have proposed) that these archetypes come higher in the scheme of things than human thinking about them, that they are primary patterns of reality of a 'spiritual' nature that human lives reflect. The truth of a soul or a sage or a god is, to me, memetic, an effect of human brain function.

A further problem I have personally with the Truth-is-Internal argument is that I am tired of looking within (on the advice of people who, like you, suggest they have seen something 'real' and important there) and finding no reliable way to distinguish my own imagination (illusions either deliberately induced or spontaneously arising) and 'intuitions' or 'insights'. This, really, is the single problem on which all the rest of my ignorance teeters precariously, that I do not know how to know truth...except...

There is a mode of experiencing that I would dare to say comes close to being direct apprehension, without interpretation because thought has stopped (through practising meditation). Then I am in touch with reality in a very primitive way: light and heat and pressure impact my body and I respond without thinking at all about anything. The problem is that it doesn't actually yield 'knowledge', but is merely a temporary regression to the animal state. It's wonderful, delightful, freeing for a while, but it has nothing to say about where we came from or the nature of the world, nor does it solve personal or global problems. Actually, I take that back, it has something to say about where we came from and the nature of the world, because it gives the meditator a taste of brain activity approximating that of a pre-human. If anything it ought to teach us how secondary are our 'archetypes' and other linguistic constructs. I believe that people have traditionally added mystical interpretations when they 'wake up' from samadhi rather than scientific ones. They are demonstrably filtered through their previous cultural expectations. Often the people who attain such mental states live in monasteries, and they spend as much time learning dogma by rote and working towards 'discovering it for themselves' as they do meditating.
 
Last edited:
"They are demonstrably filtered through their previous cultural expectations. Often the people who attain such mental states live in monasteries, and they spend as much time learning dogma by rote and working towards 'discovering it for themselves' as they do meditating. "

Yeah, man.

Sounds like the best of all possible lifestyles.

(Do they get to have female companionship?)

hmmm.....
 
Yeah, man.

Sounds like the best of all possible lifestyles.

(Do they get to have female companionship?)

hmmm.....
Hmmm.... only the female ones. You've made me notice my sexism there, talking about monks and forgetting 'nuns' (?) or whatever female monks are called in other systems. Then, of course, the common rule of separating men and women in institutions is based on sexual-preference-ism (er, homophobia?), i.e. the assumption that same-sex groups won't get distracted from their studying/slaughtering-the-enemy or whatever is meant to be their task by sexual attraction to their peers, or that peer pressure will minimize this. (I suppose it's also used for other reasons, and homosexuality may be accepted or encouraged to help the group bond. In fact, homosexual sex has a long tradition in military strategy, and might even have its counterpart in hon-human animal societies.)

I don't quite understand your response, and I feel slightly irritated, because currently I'm going through a certain amount of grief about the amount of my life I wasted due to the influence of mysticism and religious dogma. I accept responsibility for this choice, although the opportunity was put in my way. I wasn't brought up with a lot of pressure to believe in reincarnation or eternal souls (just a background of C-of-E rote mumblings, which I thought rather silly and circular, but perhaps thought there might be some truth behind ). Later I gradually began to reject (or, I'd have said, 'transcend') the mainstream scientific view when I got into yoga.

I'm not too bitter. I made my choices and they actually gave me a great deal. Secular materialism is almost devoid of philosophical depth, moral education, emotional intelligence or even humanist common sense, and I gained a lot in these areas from religious ideas, meditation and a particularly new-age therapy training. I regret some of my unnecessary asceticism, and excusing my laziness on the grounds that there is all the time in the world, rather than the usual span of a human life.

So, 'the best of all possible lifestyles'? - to hide away from the rest of the world, learn dogma by rote and work towards 'discovering it for yourself' (you seem to have missed the irony of that)... Well, 'each to their own' would be a forgiving stance. It's hard to decide where to put the line between being humble about other people's cultural traditions and getting indignant about their insidious schools of brainwashing. It might seem at first sight that a monastery belonging to an established ancient religion is benign, and very different from what we usually consider a dangerous cult, but actually there can be similar psychological pressures and - I would argue - many victims. Buddhists, for instance, are taught to enter trance states, in which the mind is arguably very suggestible; they baffle and exhaust their reasoning with paradoxical puzzles (koans); when nicely zonked out, they are lectured authoritatively about the Absolute Divine Truth; they are expected to show great reverence for scriptures and teachers; their activities are regimented and severely restricted; they are either very strongly discouraged from rational argument and questioning altogether, or they are strongly encouraged to accept the established 'answer' to debates; often they are required to renounce worldly concerns, and all too often they are required to turn over whatever worldly goods they own to the sect (hmmm, interesting paradox, you don't need money, but the 'church' needs masses of it). While they may be 'free to leave at any time', they might have burned their boats by then. I wonder how many monks and nuns live with the daily torment of doubt, but don't dare to consider alternative lifestyles and don't have anyone neutral they can talk to about it.

I never joined a monastery, but I thought a lot about it and if I'd met the wrong person at the wrong time I might just have ended up in one. I got to thinking of my home as a personal ashram, and elevated sitting on my butt doing nothing to great spiritual heights.
 
P.S. Rouach1, you seem to have sidestepped the issue of Jung's assertion that he could 'demonstrate empirically the existence of a totality supraordinate to consciousness'. Your answer seems to have been "Go within: seek and you shall find". That is not empirical demonstration, it is the invitation to another to make their own private experiment. The nature of imagination is such that if I suggest to a sufficiently large group of people (and sadly, it doesn't have to be very large at all) that they can 'go inside' and will 'discover' that they are aliens from Jupiter, some of them will thank me sincerely afterwards for the empirical demonstration. Forgive the nagging, I just don't like loose ends.
 
I've been becoming more skeptical lately, but one of those ideas I've been having trouble with letting go of is the soul, mostly because it is a really scary idea that there may be no soul.

For those who used to believe in such, how did you come to think that there is no soul?

I really have no argument right now to point to the possibility of there being a soul. But i'm curious how those who have previously believed in it, came to discard that belief, as well as some things that come with that belief, such as stories of hauntings, for example. These things can sound quite convincing sometimes if you don't know what can actually be happening.

I did think of a few things, but am not so sure I can express them very well. For instance, does science know yet specifically which part of the brain is responsible for consciousness? It doesn't seem like a localized, single focus sort of thing. For instance, if I ask myself where exactly my consciousness or awareness is located, I can narrow it down to the region of the head, but that's about as far as it goes.

Further, one could ask what exactly the self is. I don't think the thoughts are it, just because they are so transitory. I would argue that the self is this consciousness I've mentioned above, that I don't exactly know the location of.

It's hard, because I don't think anyone really knows yet what creates consciousness. That is, we've not been able to recreate consciousness, or to break it down in any meaningful fashion, except that it seems that we know now what part of the brain is probably responsible for the personality, and so forth. But that's not everything there is to consciousness.

Like I said, I'm still on the fence with this one, but am completely open to any arguments either way. I just want to find the truth, no matter what that might be.
If you truly want truth then you must seek God in your life for He is spirit! I heard one of the best teachings on the soul years ago by the late Adrian Rogers. He even goes in depth how animals have soul, but human being are made in God's image. So if humans are created in God's image doesn't it make sense that we must have a spirit too? Adrians teaching elightened me years ago on how the soul is made up of 3 part...mind, spirit, and emotions. All 3 make up who we are. The more you endevour on this subject it is quite fascinating but I would not seek non believers on this topic unless you want the lies instead of truth. God will reveal his truth to you if you seek him. Not only do we have a soul but our souls go on forever, one place or the other. Christ promises heaven to those who believe in him and his finished work on the cross

Another great teaching I am listening too on God is Spirit is on one place.com... http://www.oneplace.com/common/play...Refresh=&AdsCategory=MINISTRY.RYM&Show_ID=233
 
Last edited:
to the OP:

please at least read my thread..."the atheists soul"

I believe in the simple idea that we are part of the universe. As such, we cannot be created nor destroyed. When we are born, we are not created, it is the part of the universe,which is us, that helps form a human conscioiusness, and we live the life of that consciousness. When we die, the part of the universe that is us is not destroyed. It simply forms other things, eventually forming another consciousness and again we "live". this goes on eternally as I believe the universe is infinitely old.

Many laugh at me and berate me for this belief....but it is the usual gang of misfits that populate these type of forums, more interested in making their buddies here laugh than actually taking things seriously and trying to understand anothers ideas.

Maybe you could be different and read the above thread and PM me and tell me what you think...I too am fascinated with this subject and would love to here other serious opinions.
 
When we die, the part of the universe that is us is not destroyed.

Tell that to the man that turns the knob in the crematorium.
But that's about the truest bit of reberebison's whole post! We're breathing, eating and drinking our dead ancestors all the time. 'The part of the universe that is us', if taken to mean the matter from which our bodies are composed, is indeed recycled and will form part of other living entities later. If instead you mean 'us' as in our consciousness, that, as far as we can tell from real experiments, does not get recycled, transmitted or anything else. It dies. End of. It is an emergent function of the matter that forms the body (particularly, the brain), and stops working when the body is too damaged to sustain it.

Science also suggests very strongly that the universe is not eternal, but began about 14 billion years ago and will end something like that sort of time in the future.
 
Re-animating dead threads can be semi entertaining.

Indeed. :)

The bioelectricity is in no way synonymous to a spiritual soul. I had meant that what some people refer to as the "soul" is what I refer to as the bioelectricity. When the body dies, and physical functioning ceases, I postulate that some amount of that electricity, or any other cellular or atomic particles for that matter, dispurse into the deceased's immediate surroundings. They dispurse as the particles that they are, not carrying any particular coding of the individual that they came from. But, those of us who are still alive can "sense" the deceased's "presence" in those objects out of a belief that some of those particles that used to be in the body might be in that object now.

I have no idea if I'm making any sense. LOL I use quotes around the words because I don't know what other words to use to describe what I'm talking about.
 
Last edited:
I believe in the simple idea that we are part of the universe. As such, we cannot be created nor destroyed. When we are born, we are not created, it is the part of the universe,which is us, that helps form a human conscioiusness, and we live the life of that consciousness. When we die, the part of the universe that is us is not destroyed. It simply forms other things, eventually forming another consciousness and again we "live". this goes on eternally as I believe the universe is infinitely old.

Like the electricity that fades out into other objects, which then might be kept by other people, thrown away into a landfill, burned, recycled or otherwise physically altered. Or the body (or ashes, as the case may be) that decays into fertilizer and is consumed by plants, then maybe other animals, etc. It is transformed into other things.

The existence of life could be a byproduct of how things arranged themselves in space. The planet's conditions were right. Whether there is a collective conscious in humans is not a testable theory, but what people can do is make a difference to other people, in their own corner of the world, in their own way, while those mental processes that are responsible for thinking and behaving are still sustainable in the body.. That legacy, to me, is the part of our "consciousness", as you say, that doesn't change, no matter what happens to the remains.
 
I will tell the Forum why I've ressurected this thread. A good friend died recently, and I was not able to find peace with it until I came in contact with something that was hers. That something ended up being her parrot. The parrot was in the friend's home at the time of the death, had been handled by her earlier the same day, and spoke in her voice. There could have been electricity in the bird, I don't know. That's not really a testable theory. It certainly would not be the friend's anymore, as it would have integrated in with the bird's. But, there might still have been some skin cells on her feathers from having been petted, and both the bird and parts of the bird's cage smelled like her house. Smells come from airborne particles. There's the physical part. The bird certainly had the voice, which was the legacy part.
 
If you truly want truth then you must seek God in your life for He is spirit! I heard one of the best teachings on the soul years ago by the late Adrian Rogers. He even goes in depth how animals have soul, but human being are made in God's image.

If we are created in god's image then he must be an mingin' ugly bastard.Quit the evangelising Kathy,you are preaching to the unconverted and unconvertable.You may be happy wallowing in your delusions but please leave us in peace.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom