I live in a place where there is open enrollment region-wide and an abundance of charter schools. The charters receive a per-student subsidy and are exempt from certain regulations, such as the requirement to hire certified teachers. They are not typically unionized. Malcolm seemed to think they are an acceptable middle ground. If the argument is that compulsory education is slavery, that seemed to amount to an acceptance of slavery, as long as parents (and plenty of grandparents - some parents flake out, apparently) are given a choice as to slave master.
Malcolm, I'm speaking of you in the third person, but not to disparage your point of view. It's just that you are the only one putting forth the "slavery" argument, so instead of saying "people who believe compulsory education equates to slavery" I can just say "Malcolm."
It used to be a crime to teach a slave to read. Why, I'm not sure. Now, apparently, it is a requirement. On the whole I think that's an improvement. Ditto with basic numeracy. There is more accountability built into K-12 education than there was 20 years ago, and in my state at least, there is more choice. But it is still compulsory and still primarily government-funded, which is on the whole a good thing, IMO.
We have this crazy idea to give kids equal opportunity in education, even though they don't all wear the same shoe size. Truly, I've never met a teacher, or even an administrator, who believes what Malcolm claims they believe. Maybe it's different in Hawaii.
As someone who came into education after a lifelong career in the private sector, I do see "corruption" of a sort. But it's not crooked unions extorting taxpayers' hard-earned funds. It is much subtler than that. If we were having a serious discussion on public education I'd develop this thought more, but I will go for the short version. Teachers, in my experience, are so dedicated to keeping things upbeat that we end up believing our PR. We tell kids, "We know you can succeed." Privately we may believe the kid is as dumb as a bag of hammers, but we are so used to projecting a positive outlook that I'm sure we kid ourselves. We cheerfully assure each other, ourselves and children that we are all working hard and that we will succeed. That's the corruption I see, but I'm not sure what the alternative is. We have to try. So we decide every kid has to read at a certain level, has to have a decent grasp of decimals and fractions, has to have some grounding in history, civics, geography, etc.
I'm working now at a school that recently changed its focus to "college prep," and I have mixed feelings about this, because college itself has gotten so bureaucratic that we end up emphasizing the importance of learning to jump through hoops. But, there are hoops in a lot of real life, in all sorts of careers. I was lucky to thrive in a field that placed basically zero importance on formal education, but even then, to narrow the field, a B.A. was useful since it demonstrated an ability to stick to something.
I'd love to have a conversation about how we kid ourselves, how we could stop doing that, how we might funnel gifted plumbers into apprenticeships, for example. But despite all this dog-human overlap etc., I believe that teaching kids to read and figure, on the public dime, is a duty, and one that most teachers take seriously, and a standard for which both teachers and students are now held accountable. (I'm using "standard" in its common usage). There have always been the self-taught, the privately schooled and the tutored, and perhaps there always will be. You can deride public education as "one size fits all" or you can exalt it as "equal opportunity in education." I'd love an honest discussion about all this. The slavery argument has apparently convinced no one, and there are more productive lines to pursue, IMO.