I'm guessing that parochial schools are special circumstances. Ad hoc rationalization.
No need to guess. I have addressed this issue repeatedly. The topic is ultimately what government activity in any sector has to contribute to society (split from "Liberal Fallacies", remember). In the case of the education industry, what effect the assumption of responsibility by government actors has on the education industry.
Contrary to Randfan's assertion, every point that Randfan raises above has been addressed. Again:
Compulsory, unpaid labor is slavery. This was not central. The issue is the effect of compulsion on incentives.
Attendance at school is compulsory (for many children).
Compulsion is a matter of degree.
Compensation is a matter of degree.
Every expansion of education options available to children and parents potentially reduces compulsion and enhances compensation, by allowing parents and students to better fit curricula and methods of instruction to individual children's interests and abilities. Expansion or contraction of the range of education options also has systematic effects on the incentives that institutions present to system insiders. We have been over this repeatedly.
There is nothing cogent I can find in Malcolm's arguments.
Naturally, given Randfan's problems with reading comprehension, amazing ability to forget or dismiss without consideration points that occurred in the argument short steps before, and wild misrepresentation of the argument.
He attacks the notion of school...
Nope. State policies that limit the range of options available to children and parents.
... and copies and pastes claims that children would be better out of school than in.
I cite professional literature, against Randfan's "no evidence" claims.
When it's pointed out that school is critical to becoming gainfully employed he dodges and points out that there are other ways to get an education besides state run school.
How is this a dodge?
At one point he supports parochial schools and then attacks the idea of coercing children to be taught by strangers. Which is precisely what sending children to parochial schools is doing. School, he argues, is slavery because it's unpaid labor. It's the very same unpaid labor as parochial schools or home schooling. He then says that in those instances parents reward their children with love. I point out that most parents take an interest in their children when the children go to state run school and reward them with love also. He doesn't explain how poor children would be educated if we accepted his thesis.
I have addressed all of this. Randfan attacks a fantastic strawman he calls "Malcolm Kirkpatrick", not the arguments I actually make..
I've said numerous times that his arguments are incoherent for the very simple fact that they are...
If one ignores or misrepresents all the connecting dots.
Randfan's argument is all made up ad hoc to rescue his thesis. The problem is that making stuff up as you go along has the unintended consequence of not being cogent or coherent.
After all of this time the only thing I'm certain of is that Malcolm doesn't like state run schools. I could not confidently tell you anything else about his position because it is so contrary and convoluted.
After all of this time the only thing I'm certain of is that Randfan worships government and will wildly misrepresent arguments against State provision of goods and services where opponents see no need for compulsory processes.
I could not confidently tell you anything else about his position because it is so contrary and convoluted.[/QUOTE]