• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Did SNL go too far in mocking Paterson?

I think the line gets drawn at what people can help doing or being. Mr. Patterson is blind, which he can't help. However, making fun of Dan Rather's pomposity, for example, is fair game because he could learn not to be pompous.
 
I think the line gets drawn at what people can help doing or being. Mr. Patterson is blind, which he can't help. However, making fun of Dan Rather's pomposity, for example, is fair game because he could learn not to be pompous.


I snickered when he held the chart upside down, but other than that it was extremely boring because its jokes had nothing to do with the actual Paterson. There's just not much in his public persona to mock other than his blindness. The skit should have been 20 seconds.

Complaining about how SNL isn't funny anymore is an American tradition dating back to 1981, so I won't even bother.
 
Blind activists seem to always be easily outraged. The most offensive thing about that skit was Amy Poehler's heartfelt goodbye being interrupted by 'Paterson' accidently walking into the camera frame and quietly talking on his cell phone.

Speaking of John McCain many jokes were made about his age and the related possibility of senility, even though, his age is something he can't help. Were these jokes out of line too?

What about humor based on racial or cultural stereotypes; is that ever funny?
 
"Humor" based on attitudes that reflect prejudice that's very damaging shouldn't be on network TV. As Paterson said, the biggest problem the blind have is not their blindness, but attitudes about blindness. The rate of unemployment among the blind and other disabled is 37% per Paterson. The main reason that's 6 times higher than the rate of unemployment for other groups is attitude.

I thought that the skit about Paterson failed on a lot of levels. It mainly failed because the comedian's so called imitation of Paterson -- simply wasn't -- except for perhaps two lines when he mocked his past affairs and drug use.

Paterson is a very capable man who has a good sense of the space around him and has easily memorized and delivered speeches up to 40 minutes long.

If not being blatantly prejudicial in a way that really damages blind people makes SNL writers have to work a bit harder than 8 year olds -- so be it.

BTW, here's Paterson on the Colbert Report:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/180286/september-05-2008/david-paterson
 
What about humor based on racial or cultural stereotypes; is that ever funny?


In my own humble and lowbrow opinion, the answer is YES. That's not to say at all that LCD stuff is automatically funny by any stretch, but if someone can make it work, there's no such thing as a topic that's so taboo it can not be funny regardless of how well the joke comes off.

I'm sure many think otherwise, but comedy has always been my thing so I'd prefer to judge something on the cleverness of the payoff than running it through a sensitivity filter. If the joke itself is funny, I can laugh at religion, child abuse, rape, racial humor, whatever (someone mentioned Michael Richards earlier. To me as much as anything his crime wasn't the use of the word but the fact there was no humor whatsoever to justify it. That's what happens when non-comedians step to the microphone and try to be funny. Like any other profession it's best left to those who understand the business).

Of course, it also depends on context as well as the venue. While I personally think people are getting their panties in too much of a bunch over this, I also understand that network television, regardless of the hour of day, is setting themselves up for trouble if they cross lines which would be fine in a comedy club setting.

On this particular skit, I mainly judged it on the merit of "compared to the other garbage that passes for comedy on SNL." And by that standard alone, it was funny.

If that sounded too across-the-board, I do apologize. Cough syrup with codiene can be a little brain-scrambling. :o
 
"'Saturday Night Live' Sketch In Bad Taste"? What next, "Dog Bites Man"?

Anybody remember that sketch with Joe Piscopo doing a wicked impression of Allen Funt, in a take-off of "Candid Camera" called "Hidden Photo"? One of the dirty tricks they played was making fun of a blind man, including replacing the blind man's guide dog with a pig, with Piscopo laughing that one of the benefits of playing dirty tricks on a blind person is that you don't even need to hide the camera!
 
SNL made fun of Stevie Wonder when Eddie Murphy impersonated him. Poor taste is the hallmark of SNL. Apparently you only discovered this when the target is a liberal politician. As far as disabled people being off-limits to parody, that would be considered treating them differently from able people. FDR never wanted any special dispensation.

Selective memory?

Maybe you're conflating two separate performances.

Stevie Wonder was on earlier, e.g. prior to Murphy joining the cast.... making jokes about being blind. In fact, Stevie often jokes about it.

And Eddie Murphy only "made fun" of him insofar as other mimics exaggerate the mannerisms of the person they're imitating. He made no dumb jokes about his handicap - he just played around with the physical moves and the way he weaves his head when he's singing. Eddie can be pretty crass at times, but the few times I saw his imitation of Stevie (both on the show and live), I felt it was with quite a lot of affection.
 
Last edited:
I noticed the headlines about this but wasn't going to watch the clip until I saw this thread.

Based on the hype I thought I'd see some over the top tasteless piece of comedy that wasn't particularly funny.

The clip certainly didn't strike me that way. I thought it was funny and I might have thought it was funnier if I had been more familiar with Paterson.

If Paterson was going to be upset by that I think he'd commit suicide about ten minutes into his administration if he lived with what Bush does everyday. If the Bush administration started sending out notes complaining about skits like this, they might not have had time to do anything else. Of course, that might not have been all that bad.
 
It's difficult to come out ahead complaining about being made fun of. It's kinda like fighting with a pig. You get dirty and the pig likes it. Laugh at it, own it and move on with your life.

I can't watch SNL anymore but the skit was mildly humorous.
 
So how did he "see" the SNL skit?

While legally blind, Paterson does have limited vision in his right eye.

But the accidental Governor should find himself fodder for SNL for adding or increasing taxes on 88 items, such as soda and gym memberships.
 
Last edited:
When it comes to the right to be funny at the expense of others, no one ever provided a better showcase than show regular Patrice Oneal when Opie and Anthony were suspended from XM over the Condoleeza Rice incident and he appeared on John Gibson's Fox show with the head of NOW.



Even SHE wound up laughing (along with every member of the staff, who you can hear responding off-camera), although of course the next day Gibson had to apologize for the segment to save his own skin.

Show me where in the Constitution where it says we have the right to not be offended and I'll shut up. Until then, laughing at someone else's expense is a freedom I have no plans to stop exercising.
 
It's at the speed of thought. As a human being, I find it second nature to hear a funny joke and know why it's funny.

Perhaps you have a problem with such rapid thought evaluations?
Do you also find it difficult to chew gum while attempting to claim someone is being too PC?

In other news tonight, A Large Naked Man was found dead in front of his computer, an apparent choking death. Detectives say foul play is not suspected, although it is possible that the incident was prompted by an internet 'dare,' possibly involving risky activities instigated by net users.

Jack Thompson decried the death as more evidence of the pernicious influence of the internet video game culture. "This man would be alive today, if it weren't for these video game hooligans," he bemoaned, while fighting back tears. "This is a tragedy."
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom