• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Did FDR ever say this?

Okay, I've re-read that post 3 times and I can't see where you find me saying no-one ever said it. I was presenting Bartlett's as source to which many people don't have easy access. I've spent enough time on this forum to know that proving a negative is impossible.

Then I offer my most sincere and humblest apologies for misrepresenting and misinterpreting your statement. I hope you'll accept.
 
Then I offer my most sincere and humblest apologies for misrepresenting and misinterpreting your statement. I hope you'll accept.
No apology is necessary. It was a simple misunderstanding.
 
I e-mailed the FDR library and this was the response I got:

We have been asked to verify this quotation attributed to President Roosevelt many times over the years, but we have yet to find its origin. This is not to say Mr. Roosevelt never uttered these words, as they may have been overheard in conversation or reported in some other manner.

However, we did locate the following excerpt from informal remarks that President Roosevelt gave at the Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, on October 23, 1935:

Today, on landing, I am told the same story about South Carolina. Yes, we are on our way back-- not just by pure chance, my friends, not just by a turn of the wheel, of the cycle. We are coming back more soundly than ever before because we are planning it that way. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

If you would like to review this entire address, please visit our web-site at www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu and on the Homepage, click on Links in the left column. Next, click on Public Papers*the American Presidency Project and then select the month and year.
 
I e-mailed the FDR library and this was the response I got:

Thank you and Rob Roy. It is what I orginally suspected, the twisting of an orginal quote regarding The New Deal to fit yet another crazy conspiracy theory.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom