• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Democrats - The Party of Conviction.

And this surprises you... Why?

I didn't expect anything different. They waited until they could at least look as though they stood for something. They've done that, and now, they can seat this man.

For all we know, Burris might actually wind up being a good Senator. He did serve as state AG. Then again, we'll have to wait and see.

Frankly, short of Blaggy being shipped off to a Supermax, I didn't think they'd do anything BUT seat this man.
 
Arrrgh. Sometimes my party pisses me off.

I would have at least liked to see them keep Burris out until maybe Pat Quinn took over in IL and re-appointed him (I'm not necessarily opposed to him as a person, just as a Blago appointee). But now that I see the Senate Dems essentially making the argument that they need to get the press off the whole Blago/Burris flap and back onto the bigger story of moving the country forward, I suppose this is inevitable. C'est la vie.

I will agree with RT, perhaps Burris will make a great Senator and in a couple of years all this posturing about his appointment will be moot. We shall see.

Now, if the IL Dems lose their spine and don't go after Blago with guns blazing, THEN I'm going to be really mad :mad:
 
There is the racist undertone of this, however.

Blago, knowing just how deep in the :rule10 he is, probably appointed him, knowing Burris would get tossed if he were busted. In a way, it's a nasty undercut to Burris, and to his authority as a Senator, even if he doesn't wind up going to prison.

Burris, to his credit, seems to have kept his cool about this. That speaks well of the man.
 
Yes, I do agree that this whole fiasco was Blago's way of giving the finger to everyone involved - especially the Senate Dems. He's probably laughing his ass off about it right now, in fact.

I do also think that Burris has carried himself very well through all this. It makes him seem much more worthy of the position.
 
And this surprises you... Why?
Touche. I don't know. I guess after the last 8 years I honestly was thinking perhaps there was a more principled party.

I didn't expect anything different. They waited until they could at least look as though they stood for something. They've done that, and now, they can seat this man.

For all we know, Burris might actually wind up being a good Senator. He did serve as state AG. Then again, we'll have to wait and see.

Frankly, short of Blaggy being shipped off to a Supermax, I didn't think they'd do anything BUT seat this man.
You are more perceptive than I. :)

After all of these years Pogo's wisdom remains true.

"We have met the enemy and he is us"
 
I know of nothing untoward regarding Burris. He seems competent and capable.
 
I saw Reid on Meet the Press recently and he just won't give a straight answer to any question. What he does have to say is never interesting.
 
Burris should be given the boot, no matter how competent he may seem. There's no way of knowing he didn't pay for his appointment, given the circumstances.
 
I don't know if it has much to do with conviction, or lack thereof. My impression is that it was just plain thoughtlessness. First, go against Burris, presumably in an attempt to distance themselves from Blago, then give in upon the realization that they can't legally do anything about it.
 
My thought on this is that it was Blagojevich calling their bluff. Everyone hated it, but the legality argument just wasn't there.
 
“Guilty until proven innocent?”

That's what I'm reading, but I could be wrong.

OTOH, Tsusaka might have called it. Blaggy's thumbing his nose at everyone. Of course, he's determined to drag down everyone he can while he's at it, ignoring the reality that he's created this mess in the first place.

He's certainly following in the tradition of Huey Long, it seems, but I'll wait until a jury of his peers decides that.
 
Can't the democrats do any better than Harry Reid?

It's called the Senority system....the Congressperson who has been in Congress the longest is almost automatically promoted to the leadership position, regardless of his actual ability to lead. And this is the way both parties do it.
For some reason both parties seems wedded to this idiotic system,and it's is one of my pet peeves about the Congress.
Yeah, the Dems look really stupid over this.
The bad things are
A. A lot of the feeling were moving beyond race with the election of Obama is gone, since the Race Card was so effective in this case and
B. Heaven help Obama if any of his programs require any political courage on the part of congress.
 
B. Heaven help Obama if any of his programs require any political courage on the part of congress.

Considering everything he's been proposing over the past few weeks, not to mention the appointments he's been making, that's the whole enchilada.
 
The dems just needed to show that they didn't approve of Blago picking a senator, so they did this little stunt to prove it. As much as the rest of us don't like it, the senate has no legal authority whatsoever to prevent Burris from taking office, so the fact that they changed their decision was inevitable.
 
The dems just needed to show that they didn't approve of Blago picking a senator, so they did this little stunt to prove it. As much as the rest of us don't like it, the senate has no legal authority whatsoever to prevent Burris from taking office, so the fact that they changed their decision was inevitable.
Which only goes to prove that political cynicism + time > idealism.

Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey
We got your disease --Gun N Roses
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom