• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread DEI in the US

I don't know, but the pattern is the same at MIT, where the men are likely to be more-qualified than the women overall. Admission rates are twice as high for women than for men applicants at MIT because the university wants to enroll a gender balanced class.
Why on earth might they want that?
 
the pattern is the same at MIT, where the men are likely to be more-qualified than the women overall.
If the men are likely to be more well-qualified for the specific task of earning an undergraduate degree at a rigorously technical institution, it seems rather odd that they are consistently underperforming their female peers. Presumably we are not using qualified in the same sense. 🤷‍♂️
 
If the men are likely to be more well-qualified for the specific task of earning an undergraduate degree at a rigorously technical institution, it seems rather odd that they are consistently underperforming their female peers. Presumably we are not using qualified in the same sense. 🤷‍♂️
That's begging the question.
 

Victories for Higher Education: Eliminating DEI​


 
I doubt whether "eliminat[ing] the use of diversity statements in hiring faculty or staff" is going to help European Americans regain the dominance they once enjoyed, but who knows. These are clever people, I expect they will find some other way to signal their multicultural bona fides to each other.
 
I doubt whether "eliminat[ing] the use of diversity statements in hiring faculty or staff" is going to help European Americans regain the dominance they once enjoyed, but who knows.
The goal of banning diversity statements particularly and DEI generally is not to help any group to gain dominance. It is to promote merit as the criterion in employment and admission decisions.
These are clever people, I expect they will find some other way to signal their multicultural bona fides to each other.
More generally, banning DEI by executive decree alone doesn't eliminate it, and the Education Department is claiming some false victories. Take these, for example:
  • At least 95 colleges and universities have eliminated faculty and staff, renamed faculty and staff positions, or shifted faculty and staff to new roles.
  • At least 175 colleges and universities have removed or restructured DEI offices or centers at their institutions.
While there are likely some substantive eliminations of DEI activities among these colleges and universities, I suspect that most of the reported renaming, restructuring, and shifting are obfuscations, with DEI now being carried out under names like "belonging," "inclusive excellence," "access and opportunity," and so on.
 
While there are likely some substantive eliminations of DEI activities among these colleges and universities, I suspect that most of the reported renaming, restructuring, and shifting are obfuscations, with DEI now being carried out under names like "belonging," "inclusive excellence," "access and opportunity," and so on.
You have some special insight on this? I 'suspect' you don't.

The goal of banning diversity statements particularly and DEI generally is not to help any group to gain dominance. It is to promote merit as the criterion in employment and admission decisions.
And of course that 'merit' has nothing to do with the group. It's just a fact that white Christian men are inherently better suited to high paying jobs.

Reminds me of how in 1976 I nearly missed out on a career in telecommunications because the interviewer thought I was 'overqualified'. That wasn't the first time I had heard that either. About 6 months before I applied to join the Navy as an officer. I got on the short list and went to the Devonport Naval Base in Auckland for two weeks of evaluation and selection. Luckily I didn't make the cut, because I quickly realized it wasn't for me. However one of the other candidates was turned down for essentially being too smart.

In this case 'merit' meant fitting in with the Navy's (toxic) culture. That changed in the 1990's, with a shift to what you might call 'DEI'. It started with ending the daily rum ration (our navy being the last in the world to officially do so), then removing barriers to women serving on frigates and in the engineering branches. Today 27% of our navy personnel are women, including commanding officers on 60% of our ships.
 
It's so sad that you're once again ignoring the reality of DEI implementations in the US.
JT isn't talking about DEI implementations in the US. He's talking about the entire concept of DEI as a whole.

And of course that 'merit' has nothing to do with the group. It's just a fact that white Christian men are inherently better suited to high paying jobs.
Exactly.
 
JT isn't talking about DEI implementations in the US.
I mean we can ask @jt512 what exactly they were talking about, but "[t]he goal of banning diversity statements" is probably a reference to the specific nation where they are actually banning diversity statements, that is, the one where the Federal "Education Department is claiming some false victories."
 
MAGA wants the same merit-based system in the USA that South America had prior to 1990....
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom