Perhaps take things beyond the truth horizon.
And I think we passed that point already.
Perhaps take things beyond the truth horizon.
Indeed, we have been on this road for a long time.As Distracted1 just pointed out, we've always had this inability. Deepfakes are just doing for video news what has always been the case for printed news.
Yes and my point is that this is just going to make it worse. Perhaps take things beyond the truth horizon.
Or a video of a missile hitting the Pentagon on 9/11/2001 ?
A video of Rodney King striking police officers before his beating?
The ability to more effectively disseminate propaganda is not disconcerting to you?
As Distracted1 just pointed out, we've always had this inability. Deepfakes are just doing for video news what has always been the case for printed news.
As Distracted1 just pointed out, we've always had this inability. Deepfakes are just doing for video news what has always been the case for printed news.
Until recently, video often was excellent evidence of truth. Nothing is being shed, it is being taken.People are either critical thinkers or they aren't. Shedding the illusion that video is somehow excellent proof of truth is more of a good thing than a bad. It will compel people to use their brains more and eyes less.
I was all set to take your analogy in good faith, but I'm honestly having trouble figuring out how it relates to the issue under discussion. Deepfakes make what situation worse?Yes, but deepfakes are likely to make the situation even worse.
Since you are theprestige, I will offer an analogy for you to shred : D. We have always had the ability to stalk people. At any point in the past, a person obsessed with another person could take steps to learn that person's routine (perhaps lurking outside their home, going through mail or trash, hiring others to find out information, etc.).
Nowadays, we have social media. Many people post an astonishing amount of content about their lives and routines on these profiles. As a result, it is easier than ever for stalkers to assemble data for nefarious purposes. A person being cautioned about posting too much personal information might respond, "So what? There have always been stalkers." Yes, there have. But now things are easier for them.
...which is to say that we actually didn't always have it.
I was all set to take your analogy in good faith, but I'm honestly having trouble figuring out how it relates to the issue under discussion. Deepfakes make what situation worse?
Are you talking about a different video than your link?
But the point is not the video, it's a video from a reliable source. If police released the video from a body cam, I might consider some departments might edit it or show cherry picked segments, but I wouldn't worry the video was a fake.Video used to be a very reliable source in many cases. Think of how Policemen are required to carry body-cameras in some places. Deepfakes are the end of that. One step after the other getting deeper and deeper into a technological dystopia... All data becoming digital and easily altered. Images and video unreliable. Post-truth indeed.
But why would a fake video be more worrisome than a fake story?And that's the problem. It's becoming more and more difficult to identify them, and for them to identify other good sources as well.
Great. Cue fake revenge porn in 5... 4... 3...
"That's not me, boss, I swear - it's a deepfake."
"Maybe. But I think we're going to go in a different direction."
Are you saying the cops didn't kill a person? I'm unclear what your post is saying.As demonstrated in Memphis today, fake video is not needed to get a mob riled up. Just rumors and instant social media.
Until now, however, if a recording existed of a particular incident we had some objective evidence from which to draw a conclusion. Losing that is a tragedy.
Until recently a video was independent evidence.But why would a fake video be more worrisome than a fake story?
That's why you use trusted sources.
I disagree.
The only thing new that deepfakes bring to the table is the ability to fake high-definition video of a person's face, i.e. addressing the camera directly. In other words, the kind of shots that tend to be used in official messages and statements. That these are faked can easily be proven by the person themselves and their publicity agents, who have every real message of this type they've produced on file and can easily prove this video isn't one of them; probably even being able to find the original video that was sourced by the deepfake.
The technology to create convincing fictional lower-definition video, like surveillance video or cell-phone video, has already existed for quite some time.
I don't follow your reasoning.