jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor
- Joined
- Dec 23, 2005
- Messages
- 24,532
jsfisher, try as you may, your symbolic-only reasoning is full of illusions, also in the case of the considered diagram.
Prove it so.
jsfisher, try as you may, your symbolic-only reasoning is full of illusions, also in the case of the considered diagram.
I just did:Hevneren, please answer to http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11705733&postcount=2389.
Short version: Yes, I understand that.If you mean that all the horizontal components of the steps will add up to X, and all the vertical components of the steps will add up to X, no matter how small you make the steps, then yes. X + X = 2X, and 2X > X√2. That never changes.
You actually mean "prove it by symbolic-only reasoning".Prove it so.
No, you don't.I just did: Short version: Yes, I understand that.
I can see 5 different staircases in the diagram. One with 32 steps, one with 16 steps, one with 8 steps, one with 4 steps, and one with only 2 steps. For each of them it's easy to add the lengths of the steps (yes, all of them) and end with 2X as you requested. One can easily imagine additional staircases with even more steps: 64, 128, 256, 512 and so on. It will still be easy to add the lengths and get 2X.No, you don't.
Please look at http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11705863&postcount=2400.
Please do not deal only with finite cases and use visual AND symbolic reasoning.I can see 5 different staircases in the diagram. One with 32 steps, one with 16 steps, one with 8 steps, one with 4 steps, and one with only 2 steps. For each of them it's easy to add the lengths of the steps (yes, all of them) and end with 2X as you requested. One can easily imagine additional staircases with even more steps: 64, 128, 256, 512 and so on. It will still be easy to add the lengths and get 2X.
If you're looking for a different kind of answer, please guide me.
You actually mean "prove it by symbolic-only reasoning".
Well http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11705863&postcount=2400 is proven by visual AND symbolic reasoning.
Hevneren, all you need in order to understand exactly what I mean is already found in my reply to you in http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11705884&postcount=2404 (including the links there).While I'm waiting for step 2, please allow me to take a slight detour into language and culture.
In my country the children sometimes say, "Onker'n min er pollti!" Literally translated it means "my uncle is a policeman", but the phrase is frequently heard from children whose uncles aren't police officers, or who don't even have an uncle.
The actual meaning of the phrase is "I'm running out of arguments, so I'm going to say something big and impressive so I won't lose face". Does the term "visual AND symbolic reasoning" have a similar function in your culture? I ask because you keep using it that way.
Still you try to comprehend visual AND symbolic reasoning by symbolic-only reasoning.Proofs are proofs. Proof methods don't result in different conclusions unless you are doing them wrong.
There is a lot of assertion there; no proof, though.
OK. What cases should I deal with, and what is the correct line of reasoning? I need you to be a bit specific. "Visual AND symbolic reasoning" apparently doesn't mean what I thought it means.Please do not deal only with finite cases and use visual AND symbolic reasoning.
Yes, if 2X>X√2 then 2X>X√2, regardless of the number of staircases. How could that ever not be the case? And 2X is in fact greater than X√2 in your diagram.Do you understand that 2X is a constant > X√2 in the considered diagram, no matter how many staircases of 2X there are in it?
Still you try to comprehend visual AND symbolic reasoning by symbolic-only reasoning.
Correction: It's step 3 I'm waiting for, not step 2.Yes, if 2X>X√2 then 2X>X√2, regardless of the number of staircases. How could that ever not be the case? And 2X is in fact greater than X√2 in your diagram.
I feel more than ready for step 2 now.
2X > X√2 because 2 > √2 and X > 0. That has nothing to do with staircases. Or, using visual reasoning: We can easily see that the two X catheti of a triangle together form a longer path than the X√2 hypotenuse alone.By using visual AND symbolic reasoning about the considered diagram, one immediately understands that 2X > X√2 exactly because there is no fixed amount of infinitely many staircases, and since a+b+c+d+... is inseparable of 2X>X√2, then X>a+b+c+d+... (or 2X>2(a+b+c+d+...)).
You say it (using your symbolic brain skills) but don't see it (you do not use also your visual brain skills).Yes, if 2X>X√2 then 2X>X√2, regardless of the number of staircases. How could that ever not be the case? And 2X is in fact greater than X√2 in your diagram.
I feel more than ready for step 2 now.
There is no such thing like all in a+b+c+d+... , and you are able to know it only if you are using your visual AND symbolic brain skills in order to really understand the following diagrams:"all the horizontal components of the steps will add up to X, and all the vertical components of the steps will add up to X"
The term "immaterial" is given by persons that get visual brain skills as "material".As I said, proofs are proofs, and the proof method is immaterial.
Yes, I can see that the bloody hypotenuse is shorter than the catheti combined. Even a child can see that. Next step, please. I hope that's the one where you explain your "inseparability" of the two inequalities.You say it (using your symbolic brain skills) but don't see it (you do not use also your visual brain skills).
If 2X>X√2 in my diagram AND a+b+c+d+... is an infinite series, then 2X>2(a+b+c+d+...) regardless of the infinitely many numbers of that series.
The inseparability in 2X>X√2 and 2X>2(a+b+c+d+...) is exactly the inequality (notated by ">") of the two expressions.
BTW, if a+b+c+d+... represents X(1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ...) the second inequality is incorrect. The expression is equal to X, not less than X. That's a well-proven fact, not an illusion.
"all the horizontal components of the steps will add up to X, and all the vertical components of the steps will add up to X"
This is exactly the illusion that is caused by using symbolic-only | visual-only brain skills.That's a well-proven fact, not an illusion.
This is exactly the illusion that is caused by using symbolic-only | visual-only brain skills.If you mean that all the horizontal components of the steps will add up to X, and all the vertical components of the steps will add up to X, no matter how small you make the steps, then yes. X + X = 2X, and 2X > X√2. That never changes.
There is no such thing like all in a+b+c+d+... , and you are able to know it only if you are using your visual AND symbolic brain skills in order to really understand the following diagrams: