Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
Also can you fix my iPhone? And the Internet - it is running too slow.
Also can you fix my iPhone? And the Internet - it is running too slow.
I have news!
Starting next week I'll be moving fully over on to Service Requests. From there they have a non-ongoing APS3 position to put me into, though we are on a recruitment pause right now because MoG. One of the TLs though - a 4 - is moving on to an APS5 position in Desktop Support in February, so that's going to open up a vacancy, and that is an ongoing position.
Things are definitely Looking Up.
And I can imagine the conversation between her and her work colleagues.If you are super-picky about how documents look when they print out, you need to learn some basic Computer 101 level stuff about margins, font size, columns, headers & footers, etc and not have IT come out to redo them for every type of document you print out.
And some of the stuff you are asking me to do is literally impossible.
"The text is too small. I'm... *pause for dramatic effect* a poor widdle ole' woman and can't read it."
"Okay. I can make the text bigger."
"Okay well now it's on two pages. I want it on one page."
"Okay. Here's as large as I can make it the text before it spills on to another page. I can make the margins smaller."
"No I need the margins to make notes in."
"Okay I can print it portrait instead of landscape."
"No then it will go into the charts sideways and I don't like that."
"So you want me to make the text bigger without making it go onto another page, but I can't reduce the margins or print landscape?"
"Yes."
Easy solution: Truncate the document at whatever point it is at the end of the page. She obviously isn't going to read it, so content is pointless. It's just an eye-chart, really.If you are super-picky about how documents look when they print out, you need to learn some basic Computer 101 level stuff about margins, font size, columns, headers & footers, etc and not have IT come out to redo them for every type of document you print out.
And some of the stuff you are asking me to do is literally impossible.
"The text is too small. I'm... *pause for dramatic effect* a poor widdle ole' woman and can't read it."
"Okay. I can make the text bigger."
"Okay well now it's on two pages. I want it on one page."
"Okay. Here's as large as I can make it the text before it spills on to another page. I can make the margins smaller."
"No I need the margins to make notes in."
"Okay I can print it portrait instead of landscape."
"No then it will go into the charts sideways and I don't like that."
"So you want me to make the text bigger without making it go onto another page, but I can't reduce the margins or print landscape?"
"Yes."
You can always call the help desk....I have moved to my new desk. The good news is that I still remember how to set up a PC.
Ahem. Service desk, thank you.You can always call the help desk....
I have news!
Starting next week I'll be moving fully over on to Service Requests. From there they have a non-ongoing APS3 position to put me into, though we are on a recruitment pause right now because MoG. One of the TLs though - a 4 - is moving on to an APS5 position in Desktop Support in February, so that's going to open up a vacancy, and that is an ongoing position.
Things are definitely Looking Up.
Do you mean Sir Humphrey Appleby? I'm nowhere near his level of obfuscatory skill.Sir Humphreys would be proud....
![]()
Yes, those were great documentaries.Yep...
Always loved the old Yes Minister and Yes Prime-minister series...
He was definitely the pinnacle of public service speak...
If you are super-picky about how documents look when they print out, you need to learn some basic Computer 101 level stuff about margins, font size, columns, headers & footers, etc and not have IT come out to redo them for every type of document you print out.
And some of the stuff you are asking me to do is literally impossible.
"The text is too small. I'm... *pause for dramatic effect* a poor widdle ole' woman and can't read it."
"Okay. I can make the text bigger."
"Okay well now it's on two pages. I want it on one page."
"Okay. Here's as large as I can make it the text before it spills on to another page. I can make the margins smaller."
"No I need the margins to make notes in."
"Okay I can print it portrait instead of landscape."
"No then it will go into the charts sideways and I don't like that."
"So you want me to make the text bigger without making it go onto another page, but I can't reduce the margins or print landscape?"
"Yes."

If you are super-picky about how documents look when they print out, you need to learn some basic Computer 101 level stuff about margins, font size, columns, headers & footers, etc and not have IT come out to redo them for every type of document you print out.
And some of the stuff you are asking me to do is literally impossible.
"The text is too small. I'm... *pause for dramatic effect* a poor widdle ole' woman and can't read it."
"Okay. I can make the text bigger."
"Okay well now it's on two pages. I want it on one page."
"Okay. Here's as large as I can make it the text before it spills on to another page. I can make the margins smaller."
"No I need the margins to make notes in."
"Okay I can print it portrait instead of landscape."
"No then it will go into the charts sideways and I don't like that."
"So you want me to make the text bigger without making it go onto another page, but I can't reduce the margins or print landscape?"
"Yes."
Also can you fix my iPhone? And the Internet - it is running too slow.
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1259&pictureid=12341[/qimg]

And kittens.Dogs. Dogs are the answer.
If your Internet is running too slow you need to get some dogs to chase it. The bigger the dogs the faster it will run.
Bees could work too, but they're harder to train. OTOH, they are easier to feed.
If you are super-picky about how documents look when they print out, you need to learn some basic Computer 101 level stuff about margins, font size, columns, headers & footers, etc and not have IT come out to redo them for every type of document you print out.
And some of the stuff you are asking me to do is literally impossible.
"The text is too small. I'm... *pause for dramatic effect* a poor widdle ole' woman and can't read it."
"Okay. I can make the text bigger."
"Okay well now it's on two pages. I want it on one page."
"Okay. Here's as large as I can make it the text before it spills on to another page. I can make the margins smaller."
"No I need the margins to make notes in."
"Okay I can print it portrait instead of landscape."
"No then it will go into the charts sideways and I don't like that."
"So you want me to make the text bigger without making it go onto another page, but I can't reduce the margins or print landscape?"
"Yes."
How many pieces should I cut this pizza into? Six or eight?Reminds me of the classic grocery bagger's complaint: a little old lady demands all her groceries be placed into as few bags as possible, but the bags have to be light in weight.