• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Crab vs. Pipe

Poor little thing, but that's what I get for watching the Little Mermaid too recently.

This reminds me of an anecdote shared at some point when I was associated with the military. I was told that during testing of the new depleted uranium sabot rounds, they put some sheep into an old M-113 and fired a round at it. The round punctured both sides and created such a vacuum that it sucked the sheep out.

I believed it for years, then grew a bit sketical. After reading Mr. Pinchers Great Adventure, I'm not sure (and am too lazy to see if there's a urban legend page about this.)
 
UnrepentantSinner said:
Poor little thing, but that's what I get for watching the Little Mermaid too recently.

This reminds me of an anecdote shared at some point when I was associated with the military. I was told that during testing of the new depleted uranium sabot rounds, they put some sheep into an old M-113 and fired a round at it. The round punctured both sides and created such a vacuum that it sucked the sheep out.

I believed it for years, then grew a bit sketical. After reading Mr. Pinchers Great Adventure, I'm not sure (and am too lazy to see if there's a urban legend page about this.)

we had a thread on DU weapons not so long ago, and aerocontrols was kind enough to clear up many of my misconceptions about the stuff (never knew it was used as ballast). DU weapons don't penetrate both sides, the go in one end, and do a hard to explain cool pyro thingie. Sheepsie would be burger.
 
neutrino_cannon said:


we had a thread on DU weapons not so long ago, and aerocontrols was kind enough to clear up many of my misconceptions about the stuff (never knew it was used as ballast). DU weapons don't penetrate both sides, the go in one end, and do a hard to explain cool pyro thingie. Sheepsie would be burger.

I think the anecdote as the guy told it was that warhead was so high speed it just punched right through. Hell it made for good "prop wash" and "grid square" sorta stories. :)

And pyro thingie isn't too hard to exppain as I've heard it.

Speed + dense object penetrating less dense object = friction
friction + something to go kaboom = kaboom.

Something like that? ;)

- edited to add cool name neutrino_cannon. Once, long ago, I invented a superhero called Neutrino Fist. Guess what his special power was?
 
UnrepentantSinner said:
Poor little thing, but that's what I get for watching the Little Mermaid too recently.
Makes me want to add a soundtrack to the crab video...

"Under the sea,

Under the AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
 
JANman said:
if you think that was scary,I've heard that if a window on an airplane flying at high altitude would hapen to crack and break the
person siting near it would be sucked out into the sky,
not sure if its true,though.
still,I like to sit as far away from the window,when flying.
:D

Goldfinger.....
 
RSLancastr said:
Makes me want to add a soundtrack to the crab video...

"Under the sea,

Under the AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

If you can't do it - get budddyh to do it :p

And you have me giggling here - fawlty towers furtive I really shouldn't be laughing but it's soooo funny giggling:p

Sou
 
UnrepentantSinner said:


I think the anecdote as the guy told it was that warhead was so high speed it just punched right through. Hell it made for good "prop wash" and "grid square" sorta stories. :)

And pyro thingie isn't too hard to exppain as I've heard it.

Speed + dense object penetrating less dense object = friction
friction + something to go kaboom = kaboom.

Something like that? ;)

- edited to add cool name neutrino_cannon. Once, long ago, I invented a superhero called Neutrino Fist. Guess what his special power was?

you might be able to do it with a tungsten penatrator, as those are coming into vouge (no icky radiation).

A fist of neutrinos? A cannon that fires neutrinos? the ultimate penetration weapons... or possibly gay porn star
 
The resemblance to a porn star becomes even more striking. "Neutrino Fist, with his tungsten penetrator..."

:D
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom