Why?
In a sense I agree with Seismosaurus. If you refuse to use it then it should be scrapped and the money put to good use. Keeping it while refusing to use it is the mark of an idiot
Why?
I'm glad we can all agree that the left wing idealogue Corbyn is ruining things while that nice mild mannered centre-left Theresa May is pulling us out of Europe, clamping down on immigration, spending billions on WMDs and presumably still bombing Syria.
I thought it was funny, a few weeks back, when Len McCluskey was bragging about how the PLP couldn't get rid of him, and said that Corbyn was a "man of steel".
On the left side of the left, that has to conjure up some potent images. It would be frightening if it wasn't so absurd.
Fortunately, it appears that the electorate is his kryptonite.
(I'm assuming he wasn't referencing the other guy... That would be crazy. And a little 1950's)
Note that I didn't say it was the ONLY thing that indicated this. Merely that it is one thing that does.Bizarre that this is the issue you choose to draw the line on.
To each their own.I would say that refusing to take Syrian refugees is worse for example.
Well for one, it is a monumentally stupid thing to say.Why?
I'm glad we can all agree that the left wing idealogue Corbyn is ruining things while that nice mild mannered centre-left Theresa May is pulling us out of Europe, clamping down on immigration, spending billions on WMDs and presumably still bombing Syria.
Note that I didn't say it was the ONLY thing that indicated this. Merely that it is one thing that does.
To each their own.
Well for one, it is a monumentally stupid thing to say.
I don't mind him deciding that he would never use Trident. You may know of the "letter of last resort" that Prime Ministers write for the submarines. Whilst a PM can write what he or she likes, there are several options that are generally considered reasonable and one of them is "Sorry, it was all a bluff and we got called. The war is lost. Do not retaliate."
I imagine that there are Prime Ministers who have written that in their letters. Perhaps they all have.
It doesn't really matter, because deterrence still works so long as a potential enemy doesn't know that that's what you would do. Writing that letter and keeping it secret is akin to the famous Dirty Harry "six shots or only five" scene; his gun was a deterrent even though it was unable to kill anybody, because his opponent didn't know it was useless.
Now imagine Harry had said "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots, or only five. Well to tell you the truth, it was six and my gun is empty. So do you feel lucky, punk?"
Yeah. That would end well.
If you are committed to not using Trident, fine. Lie about it. Or simply say "I decline to comment on what I wrote in my letters."
But only a serious idiot says what Corbyn said. The man is an incompetent fool.
My main problem is that Corbyn is completely ineffectual in opposing the government. He let Cameron behave as though the Tories had a rock solid majority instead of one that would generally be considered barely workable.
I agree he hasn't been very effectual but I also provide him with some mitigating circumstances of being thoroughly discredited by the media before he even really got the chance to open his mouth.
It's also hard to effectively oppose the government when you are being undermined by you own MPs who as far as I can see won't be very good at opposing the government either because on many of these important issues they don't actually disagree.
Renewing Trident, reducing immigration, bombing Syria and presumably out means out and a raft of other things are all supported by Labour too.
This is what I don't get. There is no talk of new policies, no talk or changing policies so we have to assume that any new leader will continue on with the same messages etc.
The facts we have are 1) When Labour was perceived to move to the left during the last general election it picked up more support 2) Corbyn has systematically been subject to a huge amount of negative media bias.
No. Thats not stupid, and if he thinks it is then he has demonstrated his stupidity.Or perhaps he is highlighting the stupidity of spending multi-billions on something that 'perhaps' every single person with the authority to use it has told the military not to use?
The current Prime Minister has stated emphatically that she would use it. Do you have some reason to think she is lying?If we all keep pretending that it's important and we'd use it
Excellent.then people actually start to believe it's important and we'd use it. And start thinking that spending billions on a new one is important too.
And again, it's not the one thing I single out as a red line. It's merely the one I've mentioned here.But again that this is the one thing you single out as a red line is bizarre.
How did you determine that?Our current Prime Minister seems to want to abolish the Human Rights Act and that's apparently not a problem.
Rather dishonest strawman. No, Corbyn did not state that he doesn't want to nuke millions of people. I'm sure no sane person wants to nuke millions of people. What he said was that he wasn't willing to under any circumstances. And yes, that makes him unfit to be PM.Corbyn says he doesn't want to nuke millions of people and he's unfit to be PM.
Do you have some reason to think she is lying?
The current Prime Minister has stated emphatically that she would use it. Do you have some reason to think she is lying?
If you are committed to not using Trident, fine. Lie about it.
And again, it's not the one thing I single out as a red line. It's merely the one I've mentioned here.
It exposes the stupidity of the whole project.Why?
How did you determine that?
So no, then.She's Theresa May and her lips are moving.