• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Conservatives still hate Sandra Fluke

That the health insurance they have paid for shouldn't exclude birth control just because of religions beliefs of the organizations.

Thanks for the answer tyr. So forgive my continued ignorance on the subject and I'm not too lazy to go try to find out (currently slogging my way through the 2012 GOP platform) but does anyone know if birth control coverage is something standard to health insurance policies and for employer based ones does the employer currently have the option to provide policies that exclude that coverage?
 
She said the poor widdle scions of privelige are going broke trying to buy enough birth control at college and that it costs three grand according to some study she supposedly did.

Which is horsecrap and pulled out of her arse.

You post flame bait, then run away....typical...
 
Doctors prescribe birth control pills for reasons other than contraception all the time.
And that isn;t the issue here, is it?

Preventing unwanted pregnancies, though, is still their most important health benefit.
So fertility is a disease?

And there are assistance programs to help you get food, if you can't afford it.
Oh, so it's only mandatory for health insurance for the indigent?

Lots of things are covered by health insurance that treat or prevent non-fatal diseases. Even prescription medications...I'm currently on several that will not result in my death if I were forced to stop taking them because I could not afford them.
1. Fertility is not a disease.
2. Does the law mandate your prescriptions be paid for 100%? Why does birth control get priority over your medications?

You're wrong. I am currently on a prescription drug plan as part of health insurance so I can afford the above mentioned medications - a regular, small expense that I pay for via monthly paycheck deductions for my health insurance.
You actually have a disease. Fertility is not a disease or a medical condition requiring treatment.

If I did not have this insurance, I literally would not be able to afford all my medications. And I don't even take anything unusual or weird to treat anything unusual or weird.
And you keep proving my case - money that could be paying for life-saving drugs for those who cannot affords them is being spent instead on birth control pills for middle and upper class women who could easily afford them without the mandate.
 
Thanks for the answer tyr. So forgive my continued ignorance on the subject and I'm not too lazy to go try to find out (currently slogging my way through the 2012 GOP platform) but does anyone know if birth control coverage is something standard to health insurance policies and for employer based ones does the employer currently have the option to provide policies that exclude that coverage?

I'm actually not sure. Every insurance I've ever have had has covered it if it covers prescriptions. (Yes I know this despite being a man, I've read all the medication policies because of meds I'm supposed to be on.) If I remember correctly my current one does despite not covering prescriptions.
 
It treats quite a few, actually. Menstrual cramps being the most common, but also other issues, like polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis, which can cause quite some issues if left untreated.

Which you would've been aware of had you followed this issue properly from the beginning. Heavens know this thread alone has given you enough clues that birth control pills being used for medical reasons has been part of the whole Sandra Fluke issue all along, and that this is why statements like yours and Virus' are looking so ignorant. Here's one of the quotes she made:
I'm well aware of that, but it's mandatory for all, not just those with the conditions you describe.

The mandate is for those using it for birth control.
 
Not to mention that covering contraception is a huge cost saver. The cost of pregnancy, adoption (or child rearing by young parents who don't have financial means) is really expensive and costs society and insurers a boatload of money. Why would anyone who pretends to be a "fiscal conservative" object to a policy that so clearly saves money?

I just don't get conservatism. It's weird.
 
I don't follow. Who said anything about something being mandatory?
So it's not mandatory that insurance pay for 100% of the birth control for women seeking birth control? :confused:

Do you think it is in the best interest of society to have birth control available to women who otherwise might not be able to afford it?
Well yes, but that's not what the law says, does it?
 
Yeah she's so awesome the way she bravely stood up and demanded subsidization of her sex life. A true icon of the left.

Woot! Attaboy! Fall right into the trap. Can you forward this to Rush and the Fox News team, please?

Just don't throw us in the briar patch Br'er Virus. No we don't want to be in that briar patch, no sirree.
 
Why does birth control get priority over your medications?

Ideally all medications will eventually be mandated to be 100% covered. This is just the start.

And it is a good start since birth control is relatively cheap compared to the problems it prevents.
 
Not to mention that covering contraception is a huge cost saver. The cost of pregnancy, adoption (or child rearing by young parents who don't have financial means) is really expensive and costs society and insurers a boatload of money. Why would anyone who pretends to be a "fiscal conservative" object to a policy that so clearly saves money?

I just don't get conservatism. It's weird.
Because as we all know middle class and rich women have unwanted baby after baby for want of birth control.
 
Woot! Attaboy! Fall right into the trap. Can you forward this to Rush and the Fox News team, please?

Just don't throw us in the briar patch Br'er Virus. No we don't want to be in that briar patch, no sirree.

Why are you a racist?
 
Yep, so courageous, so brave. The way she stands up and shouts "GIMME" at every opportunity is so inspirational. I can see why the party of entitlements loves her so much.

Fluke is so whiny, shrill, pathetic, and unlikeable that I hope the Democrats trot her out at every opportunity.

If it inspires this sort of petty and personalized response, so do I, Br'er Mike, so do I.
 
...

I just don't get conservatism. It's weird.

At the risk of being accused of a "No True Scotsman" fallacy, these guys are not conservative.

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=conservatism

"(a political or theological orientation advocating the preservation of the best in society and opposing radical changes)"

They want not a continuation of the way things are, but radical change to the way things are.

They want changes in just about everything.

They are not only radicals, but dangerous ones; http://www.freep.com/article/201208...ernment?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

One of those guys was an page at the GOP convention four years ago;

http://gawker.com/5938288/leader-of...nded-the-2008-republican-convention-as-a-page
 
Last edited:
Why is no one here concerned about people getting high and happy? Look at the sainted Mother Teresa and we can see how we need to stop covering this stuff so that we can learn from their suffering.

If you want to get high, pay for it yourself!
 
And that isn;t the issue here, is it?

It is if we're discussing Sandra Fluke.

So fertility is a disease?

Health insurance is used to treat health issues. "Diseases" are only part of that.

Oh, so it's only mandatory for health insurance for the indigent?

Start up a "food insurance", and then maybe you'll have an argument that isn't a red herring.

1. Fertility is not a disease.

See above.

2. Does the law mandate your prescriptions be paid for 100%?

Even a nominal copay would be better than refusing to cover it at all.

Covering the entire prescription is even better.

Why does birth control get priority over your medications?

You're right. All prescriptions should be covered. [EDIT: Travis beat me to it]

You actually have a disease.

Do I? What disease, pray tell, do I have, do you think?

Fertility is not a disease or a medical condition requiring treatment.

First it was "prevent death", now it's "treat a disease" (and, as I pointed out above, health insurance covers lots of things that go beyond either of those things).

And you keep proving my case - money that could be paying for life-saving drugs for those who cannot affords them is being spent instead on birth control pills for middle and upper class women who could easily afford them without the mandate.

Would you like me to explain to you how "health insurance" actually works?
 
Last edited:
Because as we all know middle class and rich women have unwanted baby after baby for want of birth control.

Because we know that birth control is cheaper than pregnancy. Therefore, a "fiscal conservative" such as yourself ought to know when he sees a good deal.

Or not.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom