• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Conservatives still hate Sandra Fluke

She said the poor widdle scions of privelige are going broke trying to buy enough birth control at college and that it costs three grand according to some study she supposedly did.

Which is horsecrap and pulled out of her arse.

Quote. Her.

EDIT: And I see you're already moving the goalposts away from your claim that she "demanded subsidization of her sex life".
 
Last edited:
I admit to having no clue who this person is so I read the Wikipedia article on her. Am I reading it correctly that she was/is advocating for coverage of birth control drugs for health reasons and not, as I have seen claimed, condoms and pills just to prevent pregnancy?
 
You people STILL just don't get it, do you?

Do we need to have a national program of sex education for biologically ignorant conservative men?
Do we need to subsidize the birth control of women who can afford it just fine on their own?

And no, I don't think boner pills should be subsidized either.
 
I know, right? It's like if I stood up and demanded my health insurance cover my healthcare! I'd practically be a thief!
Might as well have it cover food as well, not eating is actually fatal 100% of the time. That's a severe medical issue.
 
Might as well have it cover food as well, not eating is actually fatal 100% of the time. That's a severe medical issue.

If you have to make laughably ridiculous statements in order to defend your position, you've already lost the argument.

You should have stuck with the "let's also refuse to cover Viagra" thing.
 
It just makes sense:

Guttmacher said:
An Obvious Conclusion

In short, the scientific evidence and the balance of costs and benefits all point to the same conclusion: As the IOM panel and DHHS work to establish guidelines for women’s preventive care and screenings, they have every reason to incorporate family planning. Such incorporation should include the full range of reversible and permanent contraceptive drugs, devices and procedures; related clinical services necessary to appropriately supply those methods, such as injections and the insertion and removal of an IUD or implant; and the counseling and patient education necessary to help women and men gauge their contraceptive needs and practice contraception most effectively.

Doing so would be consonant with a wide array of precedents for promoting contraception as preventive care (related article, Spring 2010, page 2). These include precedents from federal agencies and programs, including the CDC, the federally qualified health centers program and Medicaid. They include precedents from numerous respected health care provider associations, ranging from the American Medical Association to the American Academy of Pediatrics, as well as from prominent health promotion organizations such as the American Public Health Association, the March of Dimes and the National Governors Association. Such a recommendation would be in line with current insurance industry standards, as the vast majority of private insurance plans today cover a comprehensive array of contraceptive services and supplies. And such a recommendation would be in line with previous recommendations of the IOM itself, including those in its 1995 report, The Best Intentions: Unintended Pregnancy and the Well-Being of Children and Families, which included one of the earliest calls for insurance coverage of contraceptive services and supplies without cost-sharing.
It will increase productivity for the employer, it increases the overall well being of women, it's good for society. Never understood what all the fuss was about. It's a no-brainer.

BTW: Show me a food program that nets the same benefits and I'm on board.
 
If you have to make laughably ridiculous statements in order to defend your position, you've already lost the argument.

You should have stuck with the "let's also refuse to cover Viagra" thing.
So what disease do birth control pills cure?

Food prevents death by starvation.

Birth control pills prevents death by...?

And you insure against unexpected large expenses, not expected regular small expenses. Those are things you budget for, not insure against. Food, btw, costs far more per month than birth control pills.
 
I admit to having no clue who this person is so I read the Wikipedia article on her. Am I reading it correctly that she was/is advocating for coverage of birth control drugs for health reasons and not, as I have seen claimed, condoms and pills just to prevent pregnancy?

That the health insurance they have paid for shouldn't exclude birth control just because of religions beliefs of the organizations.
 
It will increase productivity for the employer, it increases the overall well being of women, it's good for society. Never understood what all the fuss was about. It's a no-brainer.

BTW: Show me a food program that nets the same benefits and I'm on board.
So not eating has no effect on productivity, overall well being, or the good of society?

Do you need a study?
 
So what disease do birth control pills cure?

Food prevents death by starvation.

Birth control pills prevents death by...?

Eclampsia, ectopic pregnancy, gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, etc.

And for some women just getting a regular pregnancy can be horrible. I have a niece with an auto immune disorder that cannot get pregnant. She has to take a special form of birth control to prevent this and the stuff is not cheap at all.
 
That the health insurance they have paid for shouldn't exclude birth control just because of religions beliefs of the organizations.
If it excludes birth control pills then they didn't pay for that as part of their coverage.
 
Eclampsia, ectopic pregnancy, gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, etc.

And for some women just getting a regular pregnancy can be horrible. I have a niece with an auto immune disorder that cannot get pregnant. She has to take a special form of birth control to prevent this and the stuff is not cheap at all.
Oh, so it only is mandatory for women with those conditions? :rolleyes:
 
So what disease do birth control pills cure?

Doctors prescribe birth control pills for reasons other than contraception all the time.

Preventing unwanted pregnancies, though, is still their most important health benefit.

Food prevents death by starvation.

And there are assistance programs to help you get food, if you can't afford it.

Well, until the Republicans slash that too.

Birth control pills prevents death by...?

Lots of things are covered by health insurance that treat or prevent non-fatal diseases. Even prescription medications...I'm currently on several that will not result in my death if I were forced to stop taking them because I could not afford them.

And you insure against unexpected large expenses, not expected regular small expenses. Those are things you budget for, not insure against.

You're wrong. I am currently on a prescription drug plan as part of health insurance so I can afford the above mentioned medications - a regular, small expense that I pay for via monthly paycheck deductions for my health insurance.

If I did not have this insurance, I literally would not be able to afford all my medications. And I don't even take anything unusual or weird to treat anything unusual or weird.
 
So what disease do birth control pills cure?

It treats quite a few, actually. Menstrual cramps being the most common, but also other issues, like polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis, which can cause quite some issues if left untreated.

Which you would've been aware of had you followed this issue properly from the beginning. Heavens know this thread alone has given you enough clues that birth control pills being used for medical reasons has been part of the whole Sandra Fluke issue all along, and that this is why statements like yours and Virus' are looking so ignorant. Here's one of the quotes she made:

Her claim was denied repeatedly on the assumption that she really wanted the birth control to prevent pregnancy. She’s gay, so clearly polycystic ovarian syndrome was a much more urgent concern than accidental pregnancy. After months of paying over $100 out of pocket, she just couldn’t afford her medication anymore and had to stop taking it. I learned about all of this when I walked out of a test and got a message from her that in the middle of her final exam period she’d been in the emergency room all night in excruciating pain. ... Without her taking the birth control, a massive cyst the size of a tennis ball had grown on her ovary. She had to have surgery to remove her entire ovary.
 
I admit to having no clue who this person is so I read the Wikipedia article on her. Am I reading it correctly that she was/is advocating for coverage of birth control drugs for health reasons and not, as I have seen claimed, condoms and pills just to prevent pregnancy?

Fact, yes. But is it true?! Not if you ask the rabid Right.
 
Oh, so it only is mandatory for women with those conditions? :rolleyes:


I don't follow. Who said anything about something being mandatory?


Do you think it is in the best interest of society to have birth control available to women who otherwise might not be able to afford it?
 
Oh, so it only is mandatory for women with those conditions? :rolleyes:

The decision regarding a prescription for birth control is between a woman and her doctor. If her doctor thinks she should take it, for whatever reason the doctor deems important to her health and well-being, then it should be covered.

Women certainly don't need conservatives, especially conservative men, sticking their noses into the issue to make sure that they're being prescribed birth control for ideologically-approved medical issues, and not because they're just dirty sluts.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom