• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Compulsive Gambler Files $20M Suit Against Casinos

shemp

a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
74,042
Location
Land of the serfs, home of the cowards.
From the "I'm Not Responsible For My Own Actions Department":

Minnesota Woman Names Several Atlantic City, Las Vegas Casinos In Lawsuit

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) ― She was an ambitious lawyer and TV commentator who starting going to Atlantic City casinos to relax, and soon was getting high-roller treatment that included limousines whisking her to the resort.

Arelia Margarita Taveras says she was even allowed to bring her dog, Sasha, to the blackjack tables, sitting in her purse.

But her gambling spun out of control: She said she would go days at a time at the tables, not eating or sleeping, brushing her teeth with disposable wipes so she didn't have to leave.

She says her losses totaled nearly $1 million.

Now she's chasing the longest of long shots: a $20 million racketeering lawsuit in federal court against six Atlantic City casinos and one in Las Vegas, claiming they had a duty to notice her compulsive gambling problem and cut her off.

Gee, I think I'll go down there and risk my life savings and home on one spin of the wheel. If I lose, I can always sue them and get it back, plus more!

Right, she lost all her money, her clients' money, her parents' home, her career, etc., but it isn't her fault. Idiot. I understand that gambling can be an addiction, but I don't understand how anyone can be so stupid, especially someone who was smart enough to get through law school and pass the bar exam. I like to gamble a little occasionally, but I know my limits and I know the odds, and I never play for any amount that can hurt.
 
Either I'm going daft or there's a thread for this already. Or both, I suppose.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom