• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

College Psychology=Skepticism

As for the OP... I have taught using Wade & Tavris. I'd use it again if I were teaching intro (depending on a few other factors--there are a couple other excellent intro texts, and some fairly lame ones).

I reviewed one a few years ago, and ripped the Learning chapter a new orifice. There is tremendous danger in having a Cognitive Psychologist write about Behaviorism. Pest, of course, excepted--I know he knows better.
 
We use Weiten for our lecture Intro 1,2 class and Kalat for the section that has a lab (3,4).
They both do a good job on the hard science topics - biopsych, sensation and perception, conditioning, learning and memory. The softer stuff is in the second semester and I never teach that.
 
Woo is prevalent in people who are involved in psychology, usually it is of the less detrimental sort. I had an instructor who wanted to insist that in language humans have a preference for SVO sentences, somewhat of a bias on his part. More dangerously in 1977 I had an instructor who questioned if schizophrenia existed as a medical condition.
 
What about all the false memory syndrome cases? I know, they weren't all initiated by certified clinical psychologists. Some were.
One other problem is that many people are identified as a psychologist when they aren't.
Take Dr. Phil, please.
Yet another problem is that the hard-assed empirical approach is being overwhelmed by a soft-headed cognitive Kuhnian reverse paradigm shift back to mentalism.
 
At my campus there is a class that specifically focuses on skepticism, pseudoscience, and magical thinking. Can't wait to take it.
 
That sounds like my Critical Thinking course that I teach each year. Buy Gilovich's "How we know what isn't so" for ten bucks on Amazon and read it beforehand for a head start.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom