Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher
- Joined
- Sep 4, 2003
- Messages
- 6,023
Part of a book review.
Iraq Through Night-Vision Goggles
Slate

Iraq Through Night-Vision Goggles
Slate
As we digest the WikiLeaks revelations, a new book offers the soldiers' perspective.
...
Objective is not the word one would select for either the aims or methods of WikiLeaks. I was interested to read that one of Julian Assange's deputies recently resigned over his decision to give the crass title "Collateral Murder" to a video from Baghdad. But no careful reading of the latest blizzard of documents could support any conclusion except that the verdict on responsibility for the murder of innocents is the same for Iraq as the United Nations' conclusion about Afghanistan.
The continuing bloodbath is chiefly the result of an obscene alliance between the goons of the previous dictatorship and the goons of a would-be-future theocratic one.
...
Not long ago, I read an interview with Julian Assange in which he declared his ostensibly journalistic objective to be that of "ending" the war. Most edifying. The easiest way of ending it would be for one side to cease fighting it. ... I have an intuition that I know which side Assange wishes would capitulate. Call it an instinct if you like.
...
