AkuManiMani said:
Carlitos, can you tell the difference between your daydreams, dreams, and hallucinations? Can you tell the difference between a thought and an auditory sensation? Can you tell if you're awake right now?
None of this matters.
If my brain delivers me information,
This is a serious question: What are "you"?
whether awake, sleeping, hallucinating, seeing, hearing does not matter. That information is known to be faulty. Moreover, I'm not claiming to have had a psychic experience here.
Never claimed that my experiences were "psychic", just said that they were bizarre and required better explanations than you seem able to provide. Would simply admitting that you don't know be so difficult? If, based upon my accounts as given, you want to designate them as "psychic" or "paranormal" thats up to you; but just remember that these are labels you're ascribing to my experiences -- not I.
I'm just saying that if I daydream that the Bears win the Super Bowl, and then they do win the Super Bowl, it's nothing special. If I had an auditory hallucination and it told me your mom's name was Ellen, and it turned out I was right, it's likely a random hit. Since a million other auditory hallucinations turn out wrong or don't reveal personal information. Some of them tell schizophrenics to kill people. Or lots of things that are never checked afterwards!
On these occasions they
were checked. In one instance a person, over the phone, gave my family details of what I was experiencing in a dreamlike state; in the other, a conversant "voice", while I was awake and lucid, gave me information concerning another individual that checked out. If you wanna attribute that all to random chance, thats fine, but I find that unconvincing.
AkuManiMani said:
What if I were just recalling information gained from a "mundane" conversation I had two weeks ago? Would you recommend that I assume that my recollection of it is faulty and confabulated?
If your mundane conversation violated the physical laws, yes.
Tell me: Is it that you KNOW, without a shadow of a doubt, that the accounts I've given are not physically possible, or is it that you merely BELIEVE that is the case? Can you tell the difference?
Your memory is fallible, just like mine, your pride notwithstanding.
Sure, memory is fallible. However I see no reason to doubt my own clear consistent memories of the aforementioned experiences, your pride notwithstanding.
Your memory of the event contains one clear hallmark of a seizure.
So?
Your memory takes place in a situation reminiscent of near-sleep, despite your claim of your memory of the event. Hallucinations are common during near-sleep.
Wheres the part you tell me something I don't know?
Your memory of the event was not recorded at the time, thus how it has evolved over time cannot be evaluated today.
It was recorded in my memory and those present. Don't pretend that your credulity regarding the accounts rests upon whether someone took notes of it.
You refuse to share the "details" so they cannot be evaluated.
I've shared plenty of details --
pages of details. The more I provide, the more I'm accused of things like "self-aggrandizement". Truth be told, you're not so much concerned with discerning the truth of experiences as you are in trying to find some feature of the story that will provide an "easy out" explanation. Stop kidding yourself.
You refuse to have the other person post, so her version cannot be evaluated.
Who said anything about me refusing? Even if I did get her to post and she presented the exact same story you could still claim that she was prompted or that shes otherwise unreliable. Again, quit pretending that you're interested in honest inquiry.
Mundane explanations exist for everything you claim to experienced, anyway.
Correction: you've ready-made interpretations that are congruent with your world view. You really don't know what happened, nor do I think you really care what the truth is so long as you can get the story to conform to your expectations.
Psi has never, ever been proven scientifically.
Yea, and?
You have yet to pose a coherent hypothesis for the event, at points claiming that you just posted some social experiment asshat test and at other points talking about shaman and spirits.
Correction: I've yet to propose any complete hypothesis for the events that are congruent with what you
believe should be possible. Unlike you, I don't presume to have all the answers to the point where I can confidently assert what a stranger over the internet
-must- have experienced. You being an asshat is incidental.
You have shared a story. You want to attach some importance to it, for reasons I cannot understand. You claim that you aren't trying to convince me of anything, so I don't know why my dismissal of your interpretation would bother you.
First of all, if you don't consider the stories to be of any significance why would you spend so many pages trying your damndest to prove that they're insignificant? Simply shrug and move on. Second of all, there are plenty of other people here that have expressed serious doubts regarding the veracity and nature of my reported experiences and I've no problem with their stance. It's not your dismissal that irks me; it's your presumption of knowledge that you don't have is what irks me. Whats more, you're so intent on trying to convince me of this knowledge that you're insisting that it is more reliable than my own firsthand recollection of the events. Then you have the nerve to prattle on about "religious believers" and my "breathtaking arrogance" at not uncritically accepting every hand-waving explanation you shovel me. No, its not your doubt that irks me -- its your
-lack- of doubt.