• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Calcium and cola

I hate seeing those kid science fair experiments that soak bones in cola, the bones get rubbery and the kid then concludes something like, “Soda is bad for you because it destroys your bones.” Why doesn’t anyone call that stupidity out. This is why science education sucks in America.
It's vinegar that makes chicken bones rubbery by removing the calcium.

I've heard of experiments where cola dissolves red meat and teeth but minimal searching finds it's a myth.

Soaking bones in cola can weaken them, the acid dissolves some of the bone. If cola makes bones rubbery, it was hard to find experimental evidence of it.

But you're right about the unsupported conclusions drawn from the science fair experiments.
 
Yeah, I’m probably conflating the two. It’s been a little while since I’ve been to one of those.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom