shadron
Philosopher
- Joined
- Sep 2, 2005
- Messages
- 5,918
OK, I was inspired by a blurb from a NOVA program by Dr. David Brin: here is the 30-second audio:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole/expl-brin.html
So. You have some kind of marvelous spacecraft that can set you a yard out from the event horizon of a singularity. You reach out and poke your finger through the event horizon (hopefully its not wobbling around too much) and you draw it back out. What do you see?
Elsewhere I've read that here is nothing spectacular at the event horizon; it is possible to cross it without noticing it - I'd expect to be able to draw the finger back, or perhaps it would suck me in in-toto. Except nothing ever comes back from the event horizon excepting quantum evaporation, right? Elsewhere I've read that immediately inside the horizon is a huge amount of radiation trying to get out of the hole and just not being able to make it, eternally dressed up with no place to go, and so it accumulates there. I'd expect that finger to be toast. I know that the tidal forces may not be high enough at the event horizon to spaghettify the finger; that is a function of the BH's mass, and happens in closer proximity to he singularity, I assume.
So what does happen?
Overactive imaginations want to know...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blackhole/expl-brin.html
So. You have some kind of marvelous spacecraft that can set you a yard out from the event horizon of a singularity. You reach out and poke your finger through the event horizon (hopefully its not wobbling around too much) and you draw it back out. What do you see?
Elsewhere I've read that here is nothing spectacular at the event horizon; it is possible to cross it without noticing it - I'd expect to be able to draw the finger back, or perhaps it would suck me in in-toto. Except nothing ever comes back from the event horizon excepting quantum evaporation, right? Elsewhere I've read that immediately inside the horizon is a huge amount of radiation trying to get out of the hole and just not being able to make it, eternally dressed up with no place to go, and so it accumulates there. I'd expect that finger to be toast. I know that the tidal forces may not be high enough at the event horizon to spaghettify the finger; that is a function of the BH's mass, and happens in closer proximity to he singularity, I assume.
So what does happen?
Overactive imaginations want to know...
Last edited: