• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Best of the Daily Show, Colbert

Puppycow

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
34,167
Location
Yokohama, Japan
This thread is for links to any particularly good bits from The Daily Show or the Colbert Report. I'm not going post a link to a particular clip in the OP but I would like anyone who's seen a particularly good one recently, or even not so recently, to post a link here. I intend to do so myself too as I come across them. (Mods, I'm putting this in the USA Politics section because even though these are comedy shows, they usually deal with USA politics in a humorous way I'm looking for bits that have at least something to do with politics).

Youtube clips would be great if you can find them but the official sites work too:

http://www.thedailyshow.com
http://www.colbertnation.com
 
Comedy Central is very thorough in getting clips pulled from Youtube. On their own site, clips are up for a limited time, and then disappear for good. I'd also like to be able to find clips of some of my favorite bits.
 
I would love to post clips but being in Canada we are forced to our Canadian reseller of the Comedy Channel, the Comedy Network, and their online system is just horrible: searching for clips is painful painful painful...

American site is much better, I can find what I want in seconds, just get an error saying I am in wrong country...;(

That said: Jon Stewart won the War on Christmas with his brilliant bit at the start of the Dec 3rd episode. Really. He won. No one can say anything to that, war is over, the seculars won! (Thanks Jon for taking us over the line!)

Also: any Colbert bit on the super PAC he was running was just amazing this election cycle. Really explained how tawdry and broken the financing system is by demonstrating how easy it was for Colbert to purposefully hide money and write checks to himself...

The lawyer was on Moyers recently, so if you dug his appearances, check this out for a solid 30 mins w/ the man himself! I think Potter managed to provide perhaps THE most important election post-mortem for understanding money's effect on politics, and helped bring me to some new understandings:

http://billmoyers.com/segment/trevor-potter-on-big-moneys-election-effect/
 
Ummm colbert has a shtick, but that's the way it works with successful characters!

People love the shtick and want more - and in Colbert's case, his irrepressible energy and enthusiasm I think is contagious, and makes the shtick land well with me and I want more! :)
 
The Daily Show is good investigative journalism. The 1/16 show had Jon showing a speech by Todd Tiahrt about how we should "enforce existing laws", then showed the legislation that Tiahrt introduced, which he admits was written by the NRA, which eviscerated the enforcement abilities of the Bureau of Alchohol Tobacco and Firearms. You have to laugh, even while the exposed hypocrisy and lying of the gun lobby is sickening.
 
Ya and their piece this week *on* investigative journalism, or the lack of it @ CNN, was priceless...

Even had the HBO Newsroom cast helped out with that one!
 
Pat Robertson's segment about how ugly wives are to blame for stale marriages was priceless. That the man manages to keep being even more offensive after all the #### he's already said in the past is simply mind-boggling.
The Daily Show is good investigative journalism. The 1/16 show had Jon showing a speech by Todd Tiahrt about how we should "enforce existing laws", then showed the legislation that Tiahrt introduced, which he admits was written by the NRA, which eviscerated the enforcement abilities of the Bureau of Alchohol Tobacco and Firearms. You have to laugh, even while the exposed hypocrisy and lying of the gun lobby is sickening.

Yeah, that was awesome, yet horribly depressing. Lobbies in the USA have so much power, it's frightening. I'm not saying the USA aren't a real democracy, but sometimes it does appear that this democracy is purely at the mercy of those lobbies. :eek:
 
The Daily Show is good investigative journalism. The 1/16 show had Jon showing a speech by Todd Tiahrt about how we should "enforce existing laws", then showed the legislation that Tiahrt introduced, which he admits was written by the NRA, which eviscerated the enforcement abilities of the Bureau of Alchohol Tobacco and Firearms. You have to laugh, even while the exposed hypocrisy and lying of the gun lobby is sickening.
Stewart raises a very important point. Why is it that the president gets to veto bills and command an army. What's so special about being president? Sheer hypocrisy if you ask me.
 
Yeah, that was awesome, yet horribly depressing. Lobbies in the USA have so much power, it's frightening. I'm not saying the USA aren't a real democracy, but sometimes it does appear that this democracy is purely at the mercy of those lobbies. :eek:

<nods>

It's like the trappings of democracy and the going through the motions keeps everyone able to keep up the pretense while everything is literally behind bought and sold behind a pretty thin freakin' curtain that falls apart if you just fart on it...

Oligarchy is the elephant in the room.

EDIT: and not to be all doom and gloom - the mechanisms are there to roll it all back. IT's nice to have a constitution and something incredible could happen one day to bring a little people power back to the equation. Things probably just have to get a bit worse before they get better is all...
 
Last edited:
Pat Robertson's segment about how ugly wives are to blame for stale marriages was priceless. That the man manages to keep being even more offensive after all the #### he's already said in the past is simply mind-boggling.

Do you remember which episode that was? I'm a fan but I don't always see every episode and I missed that one. I'd like to see that.

ETA: Here's Colbert's bit on that:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...anuary-16-2013/pat-robertson-s-romance-advice
 
Last edited:
Pat Robertson's segment about how ugly wives are to blame for stale marriages was priceless. That the man manages to keep being even more offensive after all the #### he's already said in the past is simply mind-boggling.
Seems as if Robertson was channelling Eddie "Velvet Jones" Murphy:

"I think I can clear this up in just three words: 'The bitch ugly'."
 
Excellent program from 1/29:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-january-29-2013-melissa-mccarthy

Jon looks at some utopian right-wing ideas:

THE CITADEL
(must see)
The Citadel is evolving as a planned community where residents are bound together by:

Patriotism
Pride in American Exceptionalism
Our proud history of Liberty as defined by our Founding Fathers, and
Physical preparedness to survive and prevail in the face of natural catastrophes — such as Hurricanes Sandy or Katrina — or man-made catastrophes such as a power grid failure or economic collapse.
The Citadel is not your typical planned community where the developer's objective is selling cookie-cutter homes at the highest possible profit-margin.

The Citadel is not profit-driven. The Citadel is Liberty-driven: specifically Thomas Jefferson's Rightful Liberty.

Marxists, Socialists, Liberals and Establishment Republicans will likely find that life in our community is incompatible with their existing ideology and preferred lifestyles.

DESCRIPTION: The Citadel Community will house between 3,500 and 7,000 patriotic American families who agree that being prepared for the emergencies of life and being proficient with the American icon of Liberty — the Rifle — are prudent measures. There will be no HOA. There will be no recycling police and no local ordinance enforcers from City Hall.

And Glen Beck's model city.

I must say, I'm curious to see if this Citadel thing actually gets off the ground. I have visions of Rapture, the John Galt like utopia from Bioshock. :D

Concept

The Towers and Curtain Wall providing the town's primary perimeter defense will be inaccessible to tourists. Each Tower will house condos. The wall sections between Towers will be the location for many of the larger homes. By looking at the Artist's Concept (left) you can see that housing will be well-removed from tourist foot-traffic. The Perimeter Road follows the Curtain Wall.

Each neighborhood within the walls will have lower defensive walls, dividing the town into defensible sections/neighborhoods. Each neighborhood will have similar housing for visual uniformity and aesthetic appeal.

Walking paths, orchards, and stands of woods will be incorporated throughout the space within the walls, adding privacy and aesthetically pleasing green spaces. Public gardens with both flowers and vegetables will enhance the experience of residents and visitors alike. Water features (canals, ponds and waterfalls) will also offer picturesque retreats.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom