• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

BBC Horizon: Can We Make a Star on Earth?

Hmmm, having now watched the doco I get the feeling fusion isn't likely any day soon. Bugger.
 
On the 'Astronomy Live' show John Culshaw did a good impression of Cox, he came on at the end of the piece and they exchanged 'Billions'
 
I find Brian Cox really irritating - the way he grins all the time and emphasises every large figure/span of time...2 billion years etc. - it's like he's trying to engage the attention of a toddler the whole time.
I don't mind Cox himself, but the scripts are annoying - especially the way every other sentence ends with 'in the universe', as if there was somewhere else all this might be going on. Plus, of course, a twinge of jealousy at all the wonderful places he gets to say '... in the universe'.
 
I don't mind Cox himself, but the scripts are annoying - especially the way every other sentence ends with 'in the universe', as if there was somewhere else all this might be going on. Plus, of course, a twinge of jealousy at all the wonderful places he gets to say '... in the universe'.

I think it's great he can engage with teenagers really - I had a monotone A'Level biology tutor who was chronic. The exageration in the script and emphasis in the pronounciation is annoying to some adults though I suppose but then who gives a ****.

It's mostly the smiling which grates though....like he's so damn pleased with himself! Nauseating youthful celebrity professor!

Must...not....player hate....hgnnnnnnnn
 
While staring whistfully at the sky?

Depend on it.

The blame really lies with the directors of Cox's early appearances. For a while Horizon was plagued with visual themes and other such Media Studies crapola. Brian Cox irritated me no end to start with, but he comes across a lot better now. Not being a teenager, a woman, nor one of a few men, I tend to ignore him. Dara O'Briain's a bloody genius, though.

Haven't we been about 15 years away from fusion for about 40 years now?

50 years, for at least half a century. That's its characteristic time. For Moon/Mars bases the characteristic time is 20 years. For woo-based ends of the world, it's about 10-12 years from the previous one (Nostradamus 1999, Mayan Calendar 2012, something else in the 2020's).
 
As a Queen fan, I wish Brian May would spend more time on science and less on music projects these days.
 
ETA: I've just realised it's a repeat. Has anyone seen this? Is it worth watching?

I saw it a couple of years ago. It was pretty good as I recall. Here's a part of it...




I like Brian Cox, although his shows tend to have too many scenes of him standing on a mountaintop looking at the sunset. I think he conveys the same type of passion and awe for science that Carl Sagan did. In one of his shows he demonstrated how an early scientist calculated the energy output of the sun by using just a pot of water and a thermometer. At the end of it he added "And that's why I love physics."

Steve S
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom