tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Aug 8, 2008
- Messages
- 18,095
How stupid do you think people are?
![]()
Using you as an example?
How stupid do you think people are?
![]()
I'm not sure what you are trying to get at. I've simply got an area that was nicely designed with PAR30. I've stockpiled PAR30 incandescent since they went off store shelves due to the new laws. There's no desire on my part to change the lighting or it's current capabilities. Yes, they include various color temps, as well as local area heating. That's my choice.Really, if you're trying to make the argument that there are other factors that influence lighting choice than energy efficiency, you shouldn't have listed bulb life as one of the factors, particularly noting that energy-efficient bulbs tend to last longer than inefficient ones.
So...at this point the only argument you've made for inefficient bulbs is that they change color temperature when dimmed. You got anything else?
-Bri
Sorry, but you are engaging in circuitous reasoning and presenting deceptive and misleading conclusions as reasonable. Here is what has been done.
1. Define a new category of bulb, "energy efficient incandescent bulbs" to exclude all traditional incandescent bulbs of these styles and reliabilities and performance that people are familiar with
2. Ban by law "incandescent bulbs" with exclusions for category #1 above.
3. Argue that everyone should be happy because they can all buy incandescent bulbs, although of the "energy efficient category".
How stupid do you think people are?
![]()
No, people are more used to them. There's a difference.
Even the language used reflects this and is prejudicial. You've got to use the phrase "inefficient bulb" which is pejorative, instead of the proper term, 90W incandescent PAR30 medium Edison base. That's ridiculous.
Simply stated, I don't have a problem. People that would criticize my behavior with light bulbs have a problem. They really need to get a life.
It doesn't matter exactly why some people prefer incandescent bulbs, the fact is that they do.
There is no need to ban such bulbs. It's stupid nanny-statism, for very small gains.
Some people prefer having sex with children too. What's your point?
Obviously some would characterize the standards as a significant reduction in energy usage
It's not about light bulbs, it's about freedom. Erosion has to start somewhere small and it eventually gets big if you don't pick some point to stop it.There's a reason I've pretty much given up typing in this thread, choosing instead to just marvel at the bizarre attachment some people seem to have to crappy light bulbs.![]()
First of all, traditional bulbs are well understood in terms of watts. And it simply isn't relevent whether it is compliant. It is you that think in those terms, not I. I simply provided the complete, correct technical description of the bulb. You know, like what you would give an electrician? Someone in the Real World? Or a lighting engineer? Or even an average homeowner. Those sorts of people.I'm using the term "inefficient" or "less-efficient" or "non-compliant" to distinguish those bulbs that don't fall within the new efficiency standards from those that do (i.e. those that produce at least the minimum required lumens per watt of energy used). The description "90W incandescent PAR30 medium Edison base" doesn't indicate whether or not it complies with the standards unless you also include the amount of light produced. "PAR30 medium Edison base bulbs" describes the shape and base of the bulb, and has nothing to do with efficiency. ....
Right, and that's what is so hilarious. You (and Joe) think you can "help". But your "help" involves a sort of moralizing about light bulbs based on some concepts of human values from a green perspective. These are essentially faith based concepts, and nobody disrespects you for being a true believer. However, people may disagree with you or not care one bit what you say......You complained about the new standards, indicating that you now have to stockpile non-compliant bulbs. Personally, I'm just trying to figure out your criteria so that you might be able to find compliant bulbs that meet those criteria. So far you seem less interested in finding bulbs that meet your criteria than in arguing that no bulb that complies with the new standards can possibly meet your criteria.-Bri
You are not with the program one bit dude. You need to learn how to correct your thinking. Then you get vodka ration at party meetings and I vote double ration comrade.It's not about light bulbs, it's about freedom. Erosion has to start somewhere small and it eventually gets big if you don't pick some point to stop it.
Well, these green types have repeated said they want to do this through various "carbon schemes", and in some countries have succeeded. But that's not enough by any means. That's why this discussion exists. People that agree with freedom didn't start it. People that want to control you started it, and this thread has some of them in it..... It you want to lower usage, simply raise the price of electricity.....
I need about 5-7 incandescents to last as long as a single CFL, and the price is cheaper for a CFL in that comparison.
In all honesty I used CFLs before I knew about the energy efficiency because I find incandescents "harsh."
CFLs must be cheap where you are. Here they cost as much as 8 or 9x an incandescent. And that's for the cheap crappy ones.
In what way do you find them "harsh"? I think most people would say the opposite (although CFLs are getting closer to 3200K).
You are not with the program one bit dude. You need to learn how to correct your thinking. Then you get vodka ration at party meetings and I vote double ration comrade.
Well, these green types have repeated said they want to do this through various "carbon schemes", and in some countries have succeeded. But that's not enough by any means. That's why this discussion exists. People that agree with freedom didn't start it. People that want to control you started it, and this thread has some of them in it.
Just look how they are treating me. They ignored what I said about the many cases where I've got advanced and highly efficient LED lighting. They focus instead on the one room WHERE I'M DOING VERY EVIL THINGS. You see, apparently I'm not completely with the program, so lecturing in right behavior is required.
![]()
So for those with some expertise in what's out there: I'm not an incandescent bulb fundamentalist. What can I get with a incandescent-like color profile (NOT standard halogen) and no discernible flicker?
Personally, I've only bought CFLs based on price. In larger quantity packs, they've been pretty cheap for a while--comparable to name-brand standard incandescent bulbs.CFLs must be cheap where you are. Here they cost as much as 8 or 9x an incandescent. And that's for the cheap crappy ones.