• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Avengers Assemble to get the vote out.

uke2se

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
14,424
Joss Whedon has mobilized a bunch of the cast of the Avengers movies, as well as other actors and people in an effort to get people to register to vote. It's kind of obviously anti-Trump, and on top of that, fairly funny.

 
For a writer/director who has done such amazing stuff over the years, Joss Whedon sure displays a tin ear for political messaging. I predict that video has a negative net impact on voters. The whole idea strikes me as being offensive to anybody who hasn't already decided that Trump is horrible.
 
For a writer/director who has done such amazing stuff over the years, Joss Whedon sure displays a tin ear for political messaging. I predict that video has a negative net impact on voters. The whole idea strikes me as being offensive to anybody who hasn't already decided that Trump is horrible.

I think you ignore the orange elephant in the room. They've got the research. A majority of voters have already decided that Trump is horrible. This message is about getting them out to vote.
 
This will turn the tide no doubt

Is any one ad supposed to be powerful enough to turn the tide? Is any one PAC?


For a writer/director who has done such amazing stuff over the years, Joss Whedon sure displays a tin ear for political messaging. I predict that video has a negative net impact on voters.
The whole idea strikes me as being offensive to anybody who hasn't already decided that Trump is horrible.

First, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but don't most people who strongly or even mildly support Trump find most anti-Trump ads offensive?

Second, offensive? What aspects strike you as being offensive? (And I will consider the possibility that my asking the question may be akin to a fish asking what water is, but I would appreciate the effort, nonetheless).

Third, am guessing that you do not fall into the target demographic for this ad. Also, you are already exceptionally familiar with virtually all aspects of each candidate - that puts you in a minority in this country. For people who haven't been following the election1, this ad may cause them to look more closely at the candidates, or even look at the candidates for the first time.


ETA
Or perhaps more accurately: have not followed any US election.

......
Also, this is the first ad in a series of 10-15 ads.


MORE ETA
Foolmewunz's response is better than mine.
 
Last edited:
The Weenification of the Rugged Right

I know it's a bit of a derail but I'm calling legitimate thread drift. (Besides, in the grand Politics Forums tradition,.... He Started It.)

So what is it with these pussies?

Monday: Trump The Bitch!
Tuesday: Lock Her Up!
Wednesday: Go Ahead, Hit Him I'll Pay Your Legal Bills.
Thursday: And she had blood coming from out of her whatever...
Friday: Throw 'em out! Build that wall. Throw 'em out!
Saturday: Birtherism! Sharia Law! Vince Foster! Clinton Crime Family!
Sunday: "Sniff! Sob! They called us deplorable. I have to go to therapy and find a safe place."

Seems the drama llamas are on the other side of the aisle, now. When are they going to grow back a pair. Would Shoot-Em-In-The-Face Cheney whine about being called names? You'll get Chuck Heston's whinges when you pry 'em from his cold dead worm-infested corpse's mouth. Bob Hope would be peeing in your macaroni salad, wimps!

The conservatives have become Woody Allen and Alan Alda!
 
Is any one ad supposed to be powerful enough to turn the tide? Is any one PAC?




First, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but don't most people who strongly or even mildly support Trump find most anti-Trump ads offensive?

They have to make sober criticisms to be effective. Making over-the-top accusations - that he is a coward or a racist or will destroy the world - won't work on people who haven't already decided that he is THAT bad. The message probably makes people who haven't figured out he's THAT bad think that the actors must think they're stupid for not coming to such a conclusion already. On top of that, who are silly actors to act as authority figures telling you what to believe or do? If people are not repelled by Trump already, it's in part because they find his anti-elitist or anti-PC shtick appealing. A Hollywood production like this just highlights what makes elitists and PC champions annoying.

Second, offensive? What aspects strike you as being offensive? (And I will consider the possibility that my asking the question may be akin to a fish asking what water is, but I would appreciate the effort, nonetheless).

Well, it's offensive for people to tell you what to think in such a blatant manner. It's one thing to give information like Trump did this bad thing or that bad thing. But it's quite another to just say that he's horrible and bad for the country. You're either preaching to the choir or you're implying that people who don't agree with you are idiots.

Third, am guessing that you do not fall into the target demographic for this ad. Also, you are already exceptionally familiar with virtually all aspects of each candidate - that puts you in a minority in this country. For people who haven't been following the election1, this ad may cause them to look more closely at the candidates, or even look at the candidates for the first time.

Well, it's my opinion. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of somebody who is either genuinely undecided, or somebody who doesn't care enough to vote. I find it hard to believe that it will work on those people, although I'll admit that I don't really know what such people are thinking or how they'll react.
 
They have to make sober criticisms to be effective. Making over-the-top accusations - that he is a coward or a racist or will destroy the world - won't work on people who haven't already decided that he is THAT bad. The message probably makes people who haven't figured out he's THAT bad think that the actors must think they're stupid for not coming to such a conclusion already. On top of that, who are silly actors to act as authority figures telling you what to believe or do? If people are not repelled by Trump already, it's in part because they find his anti-elitist or anti-PC shtick appealing. A Hollywood production like this just highlights what makes elitists and PC champions annoying.

I can agree that it is not the right ad to convince people our age to vote Democratic. But the ad isn't aimed at people our age. It is aimed at people 18-25. They have very different ideas about anti-PC and anti-elitist stuff.


Well, it's offensive for people to tell you what to think in such a blatant manner. It's one thing to give information like Trump did this bad thing or that bad thing. But it's quite another to just say that he's horrible and bad for the country. You're either preaching to the choir or you're implying that people who don't agree with you are idiots.

I really don't see how that style assumes people who don't agree with you are idiots, but perhaps you are right.

Well, it's my opinion. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of somebody who is either genuinely undecided, or somebody who doesn't care enough to vote. I find it hard to believe that it will work on those people, although I'll admit that I don't really know what such people are thinking or how they'll react.

OK.
 
I didn't recognize all of the ~24 actors in the ad. Is their a cast list anywhere?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom