Cainkane1
Philosopher
This is immature. If you're an atheist give your bible away and don't read it.
What we are doing is having a conversation on a topic of some mild interest.
I hope that's all right?
Would we have a discussion over the ethics of someone ripping up a telephone directory?
A telephone directory, no.
An encyclopedia volume, very likely.
A Heinlein novel, almost certainly.
Would we have a discussion over the ethics of someone ripping up a telephone directory?
I think it concedes too much to those who believe the book is imbued with magical powers to either:
a) rip up a Bible with the intention of causing controversy
b) give their antics airtime
Would we have a discussion over the ethics of someone ripping up a telephone directory?
There wasn't much of a crowd at first, though people accumulated over time, particularly during the period when I'd wandered of down the pier because I'd seen an interesting kite,
[qimg]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=734&pictureid=5020[/qimg]
and then was curious about what else was on the pier, so- well, that takes us back to Observation #1.
"Atheists Vow To Engage In Abominable Activities In Public!"
followed, of course, by eating of shrimp, wearing of mixed fabrics, etc. And a disclaimer that "we won't be committing genocide or enslaving people, because those aren't abominations according to the Bible"
if it were a telephone directory that a large group of people thought was special, and someone was ripping it up essentially to say "this book isn't special", then yes.
It comes back to "don't be a dick".
Just curious, what is this "don't be a dick" thing people keep talking about?
I realize that this may look like an unintentionally funny thing to say but I get the impression there's a sort of manifesto out there for godless people which uses this as its version of the hippocratic oath.
As for "don't be a dick", I think that's advice from Phil Plait:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmP9XozKEV0
That is an excellent idea.They'd do so much better if they'd draw the crowd by claiming they were going to shred it, then just shred it figuratively by quoting a long string of internal contradictions in The Bible. They could even give away the highlighted bible to a church or something (and let THEM be dicks by refusing it.) ....
I disagree. That's was an excellent account. Thanks.Well, I went down to HB to see the event, and made several observations.
Observation #1: I'd make a lousy reporter. ....
I think some of us don't agree on just what constitutes dickishness. Tearing up a Bible is a tad dickish in most circumstances. Phil thinks challenging god beliefs (as opposed to challenging specific claims) is dickish most of the time. I don't.That's exactly the source. I agree with Phil, though his view is not universally accepted.
That is an excellent idea.
Since you admit, Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods. How did you get the proof of your lack of belief, if you don't believe in religion or the bible to have the proof?
You are still in a paradox and very confused trying to come up with some form of logical and sensible reply when there are none. When anything you say, is contradictory and going to be bullocks. Understand, no matter what you say, again understand no matter what you say, YOU CAN'T BEAT TRUTH.
I have just killed Atheism, thanks to God who gave me, anyone who has a religion, believes, this simple statement to say. Since you were all too stupid to agree with me that you shouldn't use the calendar, now look where it has headed. You shouldn't use Atheism.
If you are a Christian or Believer and atheism annoys you, PLEASE spread this simple statement to defend any RELIGION and bring down Atheism. "Atheism has a lack of belief in God(s), you use religion to form a lack of belief, do you believe in the proof of your lack of belief, since you think religion, the bible, isn't proof?" - Novest, i will say my real name on here soon.
If you are a Christian or Believer and atheism annoys you, PLEASE spread this simple statement to defend any RELIGION and bring down Atheism. "Atheism has a lack of belief in God(s), you use religion to form a lack of belief, do you believe in the proof of your lack of belief, since you think religion, the bible, isn't proof?" - Novest, i will say my real name on here soon.