• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Atheism Plus/Free Thought Blogs (FTB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shameless self-promotion dept:
Some of you guys may be interested in an article I've just posted at Skeptic Ink, regarding my adventures at FtB, and with a comment on A+ as well: Confessions of a Tone Troll; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chuds.

I'll be following up later this week with a guest blog by Ed Rybicki, on the anniversary of his virtual crucifixion by the social justice bunch, for the terrible crime of writing a short story...about shopping.

http://skepticink.com/lateraltruth/...-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-chuds/

Interestingly, Rebecca Watson's talk at the recent Skepticon was about shopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9SvQ29-gk8
 
I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes than watch such a debate.

For me there's something of "can't look away from the train wreck" aspect, and the kerfuffle definitely follows TAM around. If it's ignored, it will be mistaken for cowardice and guilty conscience.

Maybe a cage match between a privileged, narcissistic young white woman atheist blogger and an old white man atheist author would sell tickets.
 
While it might be interesting to have a panel with Al, Justin, PZ and Rebecca debating A+, I somehow doubt that these 4 would agree to be in the same room at the same time. Instead, I think it would be interesting if someone would to a talk on A+ and its effect on the atheist movement.
 
While it might be interesting to have a panel with Al, Justin, PZ and Rebecca debating A+, I somehow doubt that these 4 would agree to be in the same room at the same time. Instead, I think it would be interesting if someone would to a talk on A+ and its effect on the atheist movement.

Wouldn't that be a bit like someone giving a talk on the Truth Movement and its effect on Structural Engineering? Possibly amusing to point out their lies and hypocrisy, but do you really think they have a measurable effect on Atheism generally?
 
Wouldn't that be a bit like someone giving a talk on the Truth Movement and its effect on Structural Engineering? Possibly amusing to point out their lies and hypocrisy, but do you really think they have a measurable effect on Atheism generally?

On atheism, no, but on the atheist movement now, absolutely. Justin having to resign, the distraction with elevatorgate, the endless tweets, Youtube videos and blogs, and the energy that people spend fighting each other instead of focusing on real and important issues, yes, it has an effect.
 
Last edited:
On atheism, no, but on the atheist movement now, absolutely. Justin having to resign, the distraction with elevatorgate, the endless tweets, Youtube videos and blogs, and the energy that people spend fighting each other instead of focusing on real and important issues, yes, it has an effect.

It's just a small civil war where a few people feel they should be in charge because . . . well, they'll worry about that after the war is over.

Maybe we could get the NATO to send some troops over to Pharyngula and the UN can put Meyers, Watson, et al on trial for crimes against reason. Then we can get Enron run an oil pipeline through the A+ website to pay for it all.

Bringing democracy to stupid people.
 
Did they ever get that super secure safe space up and running over at A+ ?

If so, then that's maybe where their membership retreated to because I'm not seeing to much action over there lately.

I am seeing some first class crazy though, really angry crazy, so angry that I'm thinking of penning a piece called Schrödinger's mass murderer.
 
On atheism, no, but on the atheist movement now, absolutely. Justin having to resign, the distraction with elevatorgate, the endless tweets, Youtube videos and blogs, and the energy that people spend fighting each other instead of focusing on real and important issues, yes, it has an effect.

It must be a US thing then. I don't know who Justin is, what he did before he resigned, or why that will have an effect on the "Atheist Movement" (Is there really such a thing?).

Are Tweets, Blogs and Youtube really all that influential? I thought the movers and shakers were the big guns like Dawkins and Dennet etc, real Authors and thinkers, not just angry slacktivists blogging from their basements.

If anyone is still worried about the terrible effect of A+ on Atheism in twelve months time, I will be extremely surprised. I predict that by then Rebecca Watson will be pregnant and campaigning for Moms+ (Fight the Patriarchy via free childcare and extended maternity leave!!!!)
 
Shameless self-promotion dept:
Some of you guys may be interested in an article I've just posted at Skeptic Ink, regarding my adventures at FtB, and with a comment on A+ as well: Confessions of a Tone Troll; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chuds.

I'll be following up later this week with a guest blog by Ed Rybicki, on the anniversary of his virtual crucifixion by the social justice bunch, for the terrible crime of writing a short story...about shopping.

http://skepticink.com/lateraltruth/...-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-chuds/

I've never had any problems about 'coming out' as an atheist, it has never been an issue in those around me. But this whole A+/Myers ripple has made me understand more the pressures on those whose environment is not so tolerant. In the past I've come away from the FtB blogs and comments wondering if my simplistic acceptance of equality for all was fundamentally wrong. Thanks Rebecca for that article, I may still be wrong but at least I'm not alone.
 
It's just a small civil war where a few people feel they should be in charge because . . . well, they'll worry about that after the war is over.

Maybe we could get the NATO to send some troops over to Pharyngula and the UN can put Meyers, Watson, et al on trial for crimes against reason. Then we can get Enron run an oil pipeline through the A+ website to pay for it all.

Bringing democracy to stupid people.

Hahaha I just pictured the A+ Taliban, kidnapping for brainwashing a young school girl because they found her reading The God Delusion. Old white men have nothing worthwhile to say about atheism (except PZ, who, just outside his webcam frame, are young white women holding AK-47s.)

PS I just woke up, so my brain is still partly in dream mode.
 
Hahaha I just pictured the A+ Taliban, kidnapping for brainwashing a young school girl because they found her reading The God Delusion. Old white men have nothing worthwhile to say about atheism (except PZ, who, just outside his webcam frame, are young white women holding AK-47s.)

PS I just woke up, so my brain is still partly in dream mode.

I am not a fan of PZ but let me correct this slander. PZ (b. 1957) is not an old white guy. I know old white guys. Being 55 and white and male does not make you an old white guy.
 
Last edited:
I am not a fan of PZ but let me correct this slander. PZ (b. 1957) is not an old white guy. I know old white guys. Being 55 and white and male does not make you an old white guy.

OK, then 56 is old. My mistake. But people started ignoring me when I turned 30 (if they knew).

At what age should PZ be kicked out of A+? What matters is their old age threshold, which I suspect is pretty young.
 
The A+ Promised Land

Some fresh hilarity from the A+ forum just in time for the holidays. Someone proposed the idea of an Atheist Zion, the ultimate "safe space" for non-believers.

I want to live someplace where the church has little or no power, but I don't want to move.

One post in particular from the aptly-named simpleflower deserves to be quoted in full.

I love the idea of the government of Belarus allowing the creation of a closed city in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone whose existence, location, and function, is heavily classified, where, in order to get in, you must be Atheist and Red to some degree or another, and that any Atheist anywhere in the world could apply for citizenship as a refugee; similar to Jewish Zionism and the state of Israel. The Government of Belarus could publicly advertize free citizenship for any atheist anywhere in the world, provided they where Red enough to live in Belarus and that community. The government would subsidize travel expenses and create new identity documents on arrival to the closed city for refugees, with the option of even being given a whole new identity being there for anyone to take should they choose to do so, without red tape or having to prove 'persecuted' status. The government would keep the old identity with the state security department for reference purposes, and the new identitys' tie to the old would be very closely guarded, enabling atheists who are coming from places with theocracies in place to escape without fearing they will live the rest of their lives looking over their shoulder for their government in their birth place of origin coming after them.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2831&p=49227&hilit=chernobyl#p49227

JK8LN.jpg


Today is Turkey Day and I am grateful that I post on a forum (this one) where something this inane would be run out of town before sunset. :D
 
Last edited:
OK, then 56 is old. My mistake. But people started ignoring me when I turned 30 (if they knew).

At what age should PZ be kicked out of A+? What matters is their old age threshold, which I suspect is pretty young.

A+ just proves that among a given group of humans there will always be some extremists.

When your banning rate exceeds the joining rate the forum is doomed to failure.
 
Some fresh hilarity from the A+ forum just in time for the holidays. Someone proposed the idea of an Atheist Zion, the ultimate "safe space" for non-believers.




Is Unotherized not allowing others into the clubhouse?
[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/JK8LN.jpg[/qimg]

Today is Turkey Day and I am grateful that I post on a forum (this one) where something this inane would be run out of town before sunset. :D


I wonder what the effects of Radiatin are?

Is Unotherized not allowing others into the clubhouse?
 
Before the aplussers leave for the promised nuclear wasteland, shouldn't somebody tell them that Chernobyl is not located in Belarus but in Ukraine?
 
Before the aplussers leave for the promised nuclear wasteland, shouldn't somebody tell them that Chernobyl is not located in Belarus but in Ukraine?

In the fantasy world that is A+, Chernobyl can be anyplace you want it to be. Simple flower (a wannabe cannibal, btw... I kid you not) also seems to think Belarus or the Ukraine or wherever Chernobyl is still "red." Or maybe she only wants to associate with commie atheists. It hard to tell with people like this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom