• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Artificial Intelligence

DLSS 5 is NVIDIA‘s AI-assisted neural rendering technology that takes games and makes them photorealistic in real-time.

 
On AI regulation

Donald J. Trump
@realDonald Trump

Concerning Al, when, in the History of Business, did anyone see the Leaders of an Industry call for Regulation that, if strongly implemented, will drive them into oblivion and bankruptcy?
Al taking over the World, destroying Humanity, and all other things bad, is a HOAX, no different from RUSSIA, RUSSIA, RUSSIA - UKRAINE, UKRAINE, UKRAINE IMPEACHMENT HOAX #1 IMPEACHMENT HOAX #2 and all of the other HOAXES and SCAMS that America was forced to endure through the Destructionists' and Deviants' foul play and illegal conduct.
President Xi, of China, just announced that China will be doing absolutely nothing to stand in the way of Al, or its future.
Google has recently stated that they want to build a massive Plant in Finland, all because they are finding permitting too difficult in the United States.
I am not happy about this, and want them to change their thinking.
Al, and Data Centers, will be the Greatest Economic Development Engine in History - Bigger than Oil, Gold, Diamonds, or even the Internet.

It will not be stopped by brilliantly run Destructive Forces during the Term of President DONALD J. TRUMP!
 
Makes sense. One thing the current crop of LLMs seems to be good for is triage at scale. If you're a national law firm, looking to triage thousands (tens of thousands?) of clients across scores of legal jurisdictions, having some sort of automated triage platform seems like a worthwhile investment. And obviously once you have it, it makes a lot of sense to hire it out to other firms as well.
 
It's certainly interesting topic. I don't really care about "what is art". I do like some things. I do hate other things. That's enough for me. Mostly.

But I like making AI music. I like making AI pictures. I hate seeing AI pictures from other people, or hearing AI music from other people though. They are just bad. But obviously it can't be all bad, the one I create can't all be good.
Is it because the ones I create are bad as well, but tuned to my liking, so I end up liking it ? I do like some lot of cheap pop music (aforementioned Spice girls for example).
Or is it the fact that I created it why I like it ? Do I identify that strongly with it ? It's weird.
AI is good for this:
 
Will it satisfy you if I modify my statement thusly?



It changes my meaning very, very little - so much so that I had assumed that it would be obvious, but here we are, four pages later...
I would still disagree to some extent. Perhaps that's a metric you personally use, but I don't think it's universal. We value the songs of someone with a naturally impressive voice, even if they haven't put in tons of practice, and even if it's a spontaneous bit of doggerel.

Labor Theory of Value is wrong when it applies to production, it's wronger when it applies to art.
 
Or rather, if people don't value effort, then they devalue the lack of effort. If you haven't spent any effort on creating something, why should I spend any effort consuming it?
If I spend 15 minutes searing some scallops, are you going to refuse to eat them because they were easy to prepare? If I spend a day and a half making chicken soup, are you going to scarf it down simply because it took me a long time to make?

If I pick up a raw herkimer out in the wild, would you refuse to accept it simply because I put no effort into it? If I faceted a chunk of granite, does that make it more valuable to you because I spent longer on it?

You're close, but you're not really on the mark here. We certainly will devalue work that is blase or pedestrian or poorly done, when more effort would reasonably have produced better results. Most of the time, I think humans value talent and skill. Skill doesn't necessitate more effort, but in many areas of our lives it takes effort to acquire a skill. The same is true of talent to a degree - most talent starts out as a natural thing, made stronger with practice and effort. But the amount of effort put into the final product isn't what gives it value - it's the talent. If I can crochet a hat in 10 minutes and everybody likes it, that doesn't make it less valuable than the identical one that it takes my sibling 3 hours to make.
 
Same thing could be said for anybody who takes any advice from the internet (writ large) though, doesn't it? At some point you have to make a determination for yourself. To me, AI advice isn't that different than random internet guy advice. But it is pretty good at helping me beat bosses in video games.
Gemini has only led me astray once so far, insisting that the outlaw I was after in Crimson Desert would be at the target location at the wrong time. Otherwise, it's pretty handy for the vidja-gamin'.
 
They're looking at government to throw money at them, because it's the only way to keep the scam going past Q1 2027. They've exahauseted all tgeir other sources for marks.
Or they watched Terminator just like the rest of us did. If any individual company slows down, they lose their shirts and someone else will destroy the world... but the world is still destroyed. If all of the companies are following the same speed limit, then there's an opportunity to profit without exploding the planet.

Which would be great, if the entire planet all agreed on something and nobody *cough* china *cough* was willing to cheat.
 
Paywalled.
It wasn't when I tested it, but in response to my posting it on Discord a friend posted this, which should not be paywalled and goes over the same ground:

 
Or they watched Terminator just like the rest of us did. If any individual company slows down, they lose their shirts and someone else will destroy the world... but the world is still destroyed. If all of the companies are following the same speed limit, then there's an opportunity to profit without exploding the planet.

Which would be great, if the entire planet all agreed on something and nobody *cough* china *cough* was willing to cheat.
I think you meant to cough USA not China?
 
It wasn't when I tested it, but in response to my posting it on Discord a friend posted this, which should not be paywalled and goes over the same ground:

A media sector that I was previously completely unaware of! I am getting old.

It is also happening with the longer fan produced films, there have been lots of fan produced Dr Who films/episodes over the years, we got the first AI one just a week or so ago:https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chatgptai/(fan-made-ai-full-length)-episode-1-doctor-who-reboot/

Had to link to a forum discussing it as it looks like it got copyrighted struck by the BBC (if you'd caught it you'd know why). I did see it and it was very good for an AI production, yeah quite a few glitches but I think many people would have been fooled it was live action. And to be fair for a story introducing a new Dr it wasn't that bad regarding plot etc. (Obviously made by someone who grew up with "new" Who as the Dr is portrayed as a minor god especially the resolution.)

We know how the AI companies have generated the datasets that they trained the AI on i.e. copyrighted content without getting permission from the IP originators and without paying the originator a single penny but it truly does democratise film making in an almost unbelievable way.
 
A media sector that I was previously completely unaware of! I am getting old.
I am not using SoMe at all, but my wife is, and she is often encountering video garbage of apparently small random dramas like a woman being tackling a man who tries to grab her bag, or someone stealing money from a beggar, and being handled by passers-by. The multiple cameras with good view that are in place before the encounters reveal that it is all an act. Is this what is called a microdrama? Or would it be nanodramas? AI could certainly create this with no trouble.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom