• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Artificial Intelligence

British rock band Muse appear to have handed over their original social media handles on X and Instagram to Meta's newly launched personal AI tool, which shares the same name.

The Devon-formed group updated their handle on X to @Musetheband and on Instagram to @museband, allowing Meta's AI assistant to claim their former @Muse handle.

Fans on social media highlighted the irony of the switch, referencing frontman Matt Bellamy's history of writing dystopian songs and albums, such as Simulation Theory and Drones, that warn against technological takeover and algorithms.

 
Fans on social media highlighted the irony of the switch, referencing frontman Matt Bellamy's history of writing dystopian songs and albums, such as Simulation Theory and Drones, that warn against technological takeover and algorithms.

That is truly disappointing.
 
British rock band Muse appear to have handed over their original social media handles on X and Instagram to Meta's newly launched personal AI tool, which shares the same name.

The Devon-formed group updated their handle on X to @Musetheband and on Instagram to @museband, allowing Meta's AI assistant to claim their former @Muse handle.

Fans on social media highlighted the irony of the switch, referencing frontman Matt Bellamy's history of writing dystopian songs and albums, such as Simulation Theory and Drones, that warn against technological takeover and algorithms.

Especially ironic as money probably changed hands as well
 
@theprestige here is arguing along the same lines as if he was saying that because I like Taylor Swift, I obviously hate everybody who isn't Taylor Swift.
Not at all.

I'm arguing that when you say you value art because of the effort involved, you're not telling the whole story, and there are other, more important reasons, that you value art.

The two arguments aren't even remotely analogous.
 
Will it satisfy you if I modify my statement thusly?

We value art and music in part because it is hard. Because people have to spend a great deal of time and effort to be able to do it effectively.

It changes my meaning very, very little - so much so that I had assumed that it would be obvious, but here we are, four pages later...
 
Will it satisfy you if I modify my statement thusly?



It changes my meaning very, very little - so much so that I had assumed that it would be obvious, but here we are, four pages later...
I just don't think it's true for "we". You, maybe. But I think most people value art almost exclusively because of how it makes them feel in the moment, plus some vague idea that art is axiomatically valuable, and that valuing art is the moral thing to do.

I think almost no one values Broadway Boogie Woogie in part because of how hard Mondrian worked to finish it. I know the effort involved doesn't make up any part of my high valuation of the piece.

ETA: When it comes to AI-generated art (or "art", if you prefer), I think part of the valuation, for a lot of people will be the quality - not the quantity! - of human involvement. It's pretty clear that the folks at Saga Lore AI, for example, are putting human art direction and human artistic choices directly in the loop. It's not just fire and forget prompts, and publishing whatever soulless clanker slop gets spat out the other end.
 
Last edited:
It's nothing new, both Antropic and OpenAI are calling for slowdown right from the beginning. The will not do anything about it, of course. Nor will US government, nor Chinese government.
 
In other words we keep throwing more and more compute at the llms but are now only making small incremental improvements so we need to pretend this is us slowing down because we don't want to end humanity, so please keep giving us billions and billions or we won't slow down and humanity will end!
 
I just don't think it's true for "we". You, maybe. But I think most people value art almost exclusively because of how it makes them feel in the moment, plus some vague idea that art is axiomatically valuable, and that valuing art is the moral thing to do.
By "we" I mean humanity in general.

I think almost no one values Broadway Boogie Woogie in part because of how hard Mondrian worked to finish it. I know the effort involved doesn't make up any part of my high valuation of the piece.
I think you're wrong about that. Or rather, if people don't value effort, then they devalue the lack of effort. If you haven't spent any effort on creating something, why should I spend any effort consuming it?

ETA: When it comes to AI-generated art (or "art", if you prefer), I think part of the valuation, for a lot of people will be the quality - not the quantity! - of human involvement. It's pretty clear that the folks at Saga Lore AI, for example, are putting human art direction and human artistic choices directly in the loop. It's not just fire and forget prompts, and publishing whatever soulless clanker slop gets spat out the other end.
And yet, that's what is flooding the internet - low-effort slop that nobody values.
 
I would also have to say I've seen a handful of AI/assisted songs/visual arts that I thought were pretty creative or at least entertainingly quirky, and metric tons of slop. SO MUCH ANIMAL SLOP.

And the oddest thing: REAL AI STYLE SLOP. Like the lady who really goes and digs game fish out of beach sand and gets people to fight in the comments about whether it's AI slop. Downright Dada.
 
I think fixating on AI is simplistic. But I do think it's plausible that ill-considered over-reliance on AI could contribute to a civilizational incident pit that leads to civilizational collapse, a dark age, and hundreds of millions of humans dead. But it won't be any one thing.
Unless AI gets its hands on the Nuclear Codes, or somehow convinces Trump (or Putin etc.) to use them.

This is not an unrealistic scenario. There have been numerous incidents in the past where nuclear war was averted only because a human with common sense intervened..

I can totally see AI being the source or the aggravator of one or more such crises.
Me too. The first one will probably be a global financial crisis as the AI market collapses. The world economy is already weak due to the pandemic and a fuel crisis caused by two ongoing wars. This might push it over the edge.
 
British rock band Muse appear to have handed over their original social media handles on X and Instagram to Meta's newly launched personal AI tool, which shares the same name.

The Devon-formed group updated their handle on X to @Musetheband and on Instagram to @museband, allowing Meta's AI assistant to claim their former @Muse handle.

Fans on social media highlighted the irony of the switch, referencing frontman Matt Bellamy's history of writing dystopian songs and albums, such as Simulation Theory and Drones, that warn against technological takeover and algorithms.

I never got into Muse, but my girlfriend at the time dragged me along to one of their concerts. They had an excellent stage show and the singer came through loud and soulful which was a rarity in that arena.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom