• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Article: Pope Benedict XVI: condoms make Aids crisis worse

As a skeptic I find that I have to be doubly skeptical of things that I wish to be true.

As an atheist I want the Pope to look like an ass at all possible turns so I am ready to believe he is dead wrong on this condom issue.

BUT then I stumble across this.

http://catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15445

Now BEFORE anyone says anything about the source YES this comes from the Catholic News Agency and there sure could be a good amount of spin here.

On the other hand the guy looks to be legitimate, he has a good deal of peer reviewed papers on AIDS and medical research in developing nations and professes to be "liberal" on topics of sexuality....

http://www.harvardaidsprp.org/faculty-staff/edward-c-green-bio.html

I am not saying the Pope is right here, I am just posting the information above in an effort to preserve skeptical debate. This researcher presents a good case and he sure knows more on the subject than I do.
 
But that still is just and opinion that this not backed up by any evidence what-so-ever.

He's the pope. He talks about religious matters. Is this actually a surprise to anyone? Why would you think he would stick to a purely evidence-based approach when talking about spirituality? And yes, he's talking about spirituality here, not simple AIDS.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom