• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Apple app for confession approved by the Catholic Church!

leon_heller

Graduate Poster
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
1,128
Location
St. Leonards-on-Sea, E.Sussex, UK.
An app that helps believers perform a confession has been approved by the Catholic Church:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12403852

I was brought up as a Catholic, but saw the light and became a devout atheist when I was about 15. I always had problems coming up with sins to mention in the confessional, apart from the usual ones like eating meat on a Friday and not attending mass, and even considered making up a few at times, when the priest seemed to think my list was rather meagre. This app might have helped me if it had been available at the time.

It costs $1.99 from iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/confession-a-roman-catholic/id416019676?mt=8

Perhaps an Android version will be forthcoming, then I can try it for myself. I should have quite a lot to confess after 50+ years if I decide to rejoin the church.
 
Last edited:
Warden: "It's time for that last-mile walk, Fred. Should I have the chaplin come along?"

Condemned prisoner: "Naw, just hand me my cell phone..."
 
It isn't supposed to replace the confessional. However, I can't see St Peter refusing entry to people who weren't able to get to a priest, but had their iPhone to hand before their demise.
 
Last edited:
What a pity. I was thinking of a version of Angry Birds where for every level you advance you get one sin forgiven.
 
I would love to see God's twitter Confessionfeed:

rocketsauce: Oooo, was that nipple?
1 sec ago
god: @Rocketsauce please leave the nursing home. You're just getting gross now.
15 sec ago
rocketsauce: Oops, just ogled a lady's bosom.
30 sec ago
rocketsauce: Forgive me Father, I just stared intently at the buttocks of another woman.
1 min ago
rocketsauce: I am repentant father. I had just thought about two women in immoral congress at once.
1 min ago
rocketsauce: Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been 1 minute since my last confessional. I lusted after a woman's botttom.
2 min ago
rocketsauce: Bless me father for I have sinned. I have just had impure thoughts about a woman.
3 min ago
 
It isn't claimed that one can make a confession via the iPhone using that app!
I thought that there were two statements in opposition:

The Catholic Church has approved an smart phone app that helps guide worshippers through confession.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12403852

Catholics cannot confess via iPhone and technology is not a substitute for being present when admitting sins to a priest, the Vatican spokesman said on Wednesday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41491844...ess/?gt1=43001
 
"Helps guide one through confession" probably means the app explains the process, the right words to say at the beginning/end, and things of this nature. Pretty sure it doesn't mean you can 'Tweet' a confessor or anything like that.

There had to be some confusion involved, otherwise Lombardi wouldn't find necessary to amend the concisely worded decision the way only the RCC can do it.
VATICAN CITY — Catholics cannot confess via iPhone and technology is not a substitute for being present when admitting sins to a priest, the Vatican spokesman said on Wednesday.

The statement by Father Federico Lombardi follows the launch of an iPhone application aimed at helping Catholics through confession sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the United States.
I guess some Catholics didn't exactly understand the meaning and rejoiced loudly enough for Lombardi to hear the cheers.
 
You can't go expecting epix to suddenly start knowing what he's talking about.
He? I thought it was she. That confession mysteriously popped on my screen: "... and then I got enough and when he was gone, I pierced his inflatable doll. Whose doll? I'm talking about Sledge - my husband."
 
Among the questions users are asked is: "Have I been guilty of any homosexual activity?"

Wayne Besen, executive director of Truth Wins Out, a group that campaigns on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people, accused the app of "helping to create neurotic individuals who are ashamed of who they are".
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10706049
So you look at an app from a homophobic organisation and you find homophobia. No poop, Poirot.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom