• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Appalachia

No, of course not. They are superior to the clodhoppers they're stuck living near. Try reading Main Street sometime to get a real feel for it.

So based on this book/website/blog all liberals feel this way? Wow...
 
Well it does take a broad brush to cover the breadth of the sentiment expressed by the OP. So yes, I would say I used it to good effect.

Like I said pot... kettle...
 
Hey, Puppycow overstepped, got called on it, and apologized. So how about letting this unfortunate thread die a well-deserved death?
 
Edited to read: yeah, OK.

But what will I do with all this surplus vitriol?
 
Last edited:
Did the New York Times "Play the Race Card" on Hillary or West Virginia?

The headline for their story on Clinton's WV Victory:

Clinton Wins West Virginia, With Race a Factor

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton won a lopsided victory over Senator Barack Obama in the Tuesday primary in West Virginia, where racial considerations emerged as an unusually salient factor.

Mrs. Clinton drew strong support from white, working-class voters who have spurned Mr. Obama in recent contests.

The number of white Democratic voters who said that race had influenced their choices on Tuesday was among the highest recorded in voter surveys in the nomination fight. Two in 10 white West Virginia voters said race was an important factor in their votes.

More than 8 in 10 backed Mrs. Clinton, according to surveys of voters leaving the polls.

Elitist snobs?

ETA: The headline for that article has since been changed to: 'Clinton Beats Obama Handily in W. Virginia.' I guess they second-guessed themselves.
 
Last edited:
I'm in Kentucky and will be voting in the primary. I can't wait. I hear they'll have running water and this new fangled electric illuminating device that everyone keeps talkin about. IT's called a lite bub, i think....
 
I'm in Kentucky and will be voting in the primary. I can't wait. I hear they'll have running water and this new fangled electric illuminating device that everyone keeps talkin about. IT's called a lite bub, i think....
Don't bother, I think they switched to compact fluorescents last week. For the electricity. For the actual light, who knows?
 
Puppycow took some flak over the OP (mostly because of the photo), but this morning two major liberal bloggers are singing the Appalachian song:

Talking Points Memo:

In so many words, Pennsylvania and Ohio have big chunks of Appalachia within their borders. But those regions are heavily offset by non-Appalachian sections that are cultural and demographically distinct. West Virginia is 100% Appalachian. If you look at southeastern Ohio or the middle chunk of Pennsylvania, Obama did about the same as he's doing tonight in West Virginia.

Kevin Drum:

APPALACHIA....This map of voting patterns in the Democratic primary race has now shown up on a bunch of different blogs, but I'm reproducing it yet again because it really is kind of fascinating. It comes from DHinMI, and it shows all the counties where Hillary Clinton has won 65% or more of the vote. Her area of greatest strength, it turns out, isn't whites per se, or old people, or the working class. It's all those things, but it's all those things mainly in Appalachia.
(Italics in original)
 
Puppycow took some flak over the OP (mostly because of the photo), but this morning two major liberal bloggers are singing the Appalachian song:

Well, the excerpts you posted note the geography (hard not to), but don't come anywhere near the attitude of the OP.

In any event, as BPSCG said:

Hey, Puppycow overstepped, got called on it, and apologized. So how about letting this unfortunate thread die a well-deserved death?
 
Where did Puppycow get a picture from my family reunion?

They aren't voting for Obama because they heard at church he was a muslim. Usually my uncles aren't affected by such nonsense, but the snakes were a bit rowdy and timber rattler venom can make people a bit goofy.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom