• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Anyone got the scoop on this dowsing story?

PhxHorn

Thinker
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
161
"Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind" by Elizabeth Lloyd Mayer, PhD.

From the inside flap: "In 1991, when her daughter's rare , handcarved harp was stolen, Lisby Mayer's familiar world of science and rational thinking turned upside down. After the police failed to turn up any leads, a friend suggested she call a dowser -- a man who specialized in finding lost objects. With nothing to lose -- and almost as a joke -- Dr. Mayer agreed. Within two days, and without leaving his Arkansas home, the dowser located the exact California street coordinates where the harp was found.

The comments at Amazon don't shed any light on it.
 
Actually, the full text of the story can be found here:

http://www.enotalone.com/article/11962.html

Quote:
My eleven-year-old daughter, Meg, who'd fallen in love with the harp at age six, had begun performing. She wasn't playing a classical pedal harp but a smaller, extremely valuable instrument built and carved by a master harp maker. After a Christmas concert, her harp was stolen from the theater where she was playing. For two months we went through every conceivable channel trying to locate it: the police, instrument dealers across the country, the American Harp Society newsletters-even a CBS TV news story. Nothing worked.

Finally, a wise and devoted friend told me, "If you really want that harp back, you should be willing to try anything. Try calling a dowser." The only thing I knew about dowsers were that they were that strange breed who locate underground water with forked sticks. But according to my friend, the "really good" dowsers can locate not just water but lost objects as well.

Finding lost objects with forked sticks? Well, nothing was happening on the police front, and my daughter, spoiled by several years of playing an extraordinary instrument, had found the series of commercial harps we'd rented simply unplayable. So, half-embarrassed but desperate, I decided to take my friend's dare. I asked her if she could locate a really good dowser-the best, I said. She promptly called the American Society of Dowsers and came back with the phone number of the society's current president: Harold McCoy, in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

I called him that day. Harold picked up the phone-friendly, cheerful, heavy Arkansas accent. I told him I'd heard he could dowse for lost objects and that I'd had a valuable harp stolen in Oakland, California. Could he help locate it?

"Give me a second," he said. "I'll tell you if it's still in Oakland." He paused, then: "Well, it's still there. Send me a street map of Oakland and I'll locate that harp for you." Skeptical-but what, after all, did I have to lose?-I promptly overnighted him a map. Two days later, he called back. "Well, I got that harp located," he said. "It's in the second house on the right on D- Street, just off L- Avenue."

I'd never heard of either street. But I did like the sound of the man's voice-whoever he was. And I don't like backing down on a dare. Why not drive to the house he'd identified? At least I'd get the address. I looked on an Oakland map and found the neighborhood. It was miles from anywhere I'd ever been. I got in my car, drove into Oakland, located the house, wrote down the number, called the police, and told them I'd gotten a tip that the harp might be at that house. Not good enough for a search warrant, they said. They were going to close the case-there was no way this unique, portable, and highly marketable item hadn't already been sold; it was gone forever.

But I found I couldn't quite let it go. Was it the dare? Was it my admiration for the friend who'd instigated the whole thing? Was it my devastated daughter? Or was it just that I had genuinely liked the sound of that voice on the other end of the line?

I decided to post flyers in a two-block area around the house, offering a reward for the harp's return. It was a crazy idea, but why not? I put up flyers in those two blocks, and only those two blocks. I was embarrassed enough about what I was doing to tell just a couple of close friends about it.

Three days later, my phone rang. A man's voice told me he'd seen a flyer outside his house describing a stolen harp. He said it was exactly the harp his next-door neighbor had recently obtained and showed him. He wouldn't give me his name or number, but offered to get the harp returned to me. And two weeks later, after a series of circuitous telephone calls, he told me to meet a teenage boy at 10:00 p.m., in the rear parking lot of an all-night Safeway. I arrived to find a young man loitering in the lot. He looked at me, and said, "The harp?" I nodded. Within minutes, the harp was in the back of my station wagon and I drove off.

Twenty-five minutes later, as I turned into my driveway, I had the thought, This changes everything.
-----------

I'll be the first to point out that the harp wasn't recovered from the address given by the dowser; it was recovered from a teenage boy in a parking lot. Has Randi ever addressed this case? Can anyone offer some insight? Sounds like an inside job to me, in which it was sold back to her by the thieves.
 
Last edited:
Interesting story. The full text didn't quite match the inside flap, "the dowser located the exact California street coordinates where the harp was found."

Instead, it took posting fliers, anonymous phone calls and liasons in parking lots before the harp was returned.

Nowhere near as simple as "Dr McCoy dowsed and told her the exact street coordinates". If she'd actually gone to the house he had indicated, however, and found the harp, then maybe they would have a story.

BS indeed.
 
I think there's something interesting here, if in fact the return of the harp occured after she posted fliers in a very specific area -- assuming, of course, that she had not at any point posted fliers in any other area, which she does not mention. Though the fact that there is no "L Avenue" in Oakland, as PhxHorn points out, is very suspicious. I wonder, is she substituting fake street names so as not to identify the exact location in a book? One would think she'd point this out by saying something like, "a street, I'll call it 'D Street', and an avenue, I'll call it 'L Avenue'", a la "Dear Abby", but maybe not...
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom