• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

ANY Geologist in the house?

Crazy Chainsaw

Philosopher
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
8,339
I found a novel specimen of Quartz Fractured by I believe a fault line, was just wondering what other stones or minerals I might look to find in the Area, since the nearest known Quartz vain is about 150, 300 Mile's away this is an unrecorded and unexplored find, thank you.
Oh all the Fools gold on it devolved in Muric Acid.
Just thought I might find some Colorful rocks.
 
Do you mean muriatic acid, aka good old hydrochloric acid? I'd pretty much expect that to dissolve pyrites.

You are in the US? Check out the US Geological Survey, as I'd expect them to have some information about the local geology.

Quartz in and of itself could be there for many reasons: part of the "native" rock, be that some type of igneous rock or a sediment such as various forms of sandstone, including a quartzite, or some forms of turbidite; resulting from some class of subsequent igneous intrusion; round here we get it as an example of glacial erratics.

If pyrites were also present I'd expect the quartz originally to be related to some form of intrusion and related mineral deposits. For example, near where I grew up you could find a load of quartz associated with lead, zinc and silver ores and pyrites, intruded into the local sandstone and limestone (related to the doleritic Great Whin Sill intrusion).
 
Last edited:
Do you mean muriatic acid, aka good old hydrochloric acid? I'd pretty much expect that to dissolve pyrites.

You are in the US? Check out the US Geological Survey, as I'd expect them to have some information about the local geology.

Quartz in and of itself could be there for many reasons: part of the "native" rock, be that some type of igneous rock or a sediment such as various forms of sandstone, including a quartzite, or some forms of turbidite; resulting from some class of subsequent igneous intrusion; round here we get it as an example of glacial erratics.

If pyrites were also present I'd expect the quartz originally to be related to some form of intrusion and related mineral deposits. For example, near where I grew up you could find a load of quartz associated with lead, zinc and silver ores and pyrites, intruded into the local sandstone and limestone (related to the doleritic Great Whin Sill intrusion).

Thanks since my last discovery I have found 3 different Types of Quarts and maybe some copper ore.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom