• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

ABC show prepetuates autism/vaccine link

Jeremy Henderson

New Blood
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
1
Pediatricians Say Fictional TV Show's Autism-Vaccine Link Could Be Literally Lethal

By Brandon Keim
January 29, 2008 | 1:54:19 PM




The American Academy of Pediatrics wants television network ABC to cancel the opener of "Eli Stone," a legal drama slated to debut on Thursday with an episode featuring a mother awarded $5.2 million after a jury finds her son's autism to be caused by a vaccine additive.

Though the additive in "Eli Stone" is named "mercuritol," it's clearly a proxy for thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative. Thimerosal was largely pulled from the U.S. market in 1999 after the FDA belatedly realized that an expanding routine immunization schedule had led to infant mercury exposures far beyond the EPA's suggested safety limits.

Some parents and scientists hypothesized that thimerosal was responsible for a sudden and disturbing rise in autism diagnoses. Eight years later, a growing body of evidence has cleared thimerosal: even though it's off the market, autism rates haven't fallen. Nevertheless, the controversy refuses to die out, and doctors worry that unsubstantiated fears will cause parents to withhold vaccines from their children.


Such exemptions are on the rise -- and while vaccinologists have been cavalier about lessons that ought to be learned from the thimerosal debacle, there's no question that vaccines are critical to public health.


Avoiding vaccines is far more dangerous than receiving them.
From the American Academy of Pediatrics:
While the show includes statements that science has refuted any link between autism and vaccines, the episode’s conclusion delivers a contrary impression; the jury awards the mother $5.2 million, leaving audiences with the destructive idea that vaccines do cause autism.

“A television show that perpetuates the myth that vaccines cause autism is the height of reckless irresponsibility on the part of ABC and its parent company, The Walt Disney Co.,” said Renee R. Jenkins, MD, FAAP, president of the AAP. “If parents watch this program and choose to deny their children immunizations, ABC will share in the responsibility for the suffering and deaths that occur as a result.
​
ABC doesn't plan to cancel the show, but will preface it with a CDC website link and a disclaimer: “The following story is fictional and does not portray any actual persons, companies, products or events.”
 
who cares about health when ratings is all that matters?
I am sure the idiots of Disney is what they are saying.....
 
So are TV shows allowed only to portray court cases which were decided in accordance to science?

I haven't seen the show, but objecting to it based simply on the fact that a jury made a decision that goes against the science seems silly. Maybe the viewer will come away with the understanding that the court systems are a flawed method for deciding what's true and not true. Now that would be a good outcome, no?
 
Oh, I remember being incensed by a TV drama in Britain about a gung-ho judge who actually said that he ruled that the vaccine had harmed the child. And this was another thiomersal/autism one, not a genuine vaccine damage case.

Grrrrr.

Rolfe.
 
So are TV shows allowed only to portray court cases which were decided in accordance to science?

I haven't seen the show, but objecting to it based simply on the fact that a jury made a decision that goes against the science seems silly. Maybe the viewer will come away with the understanding that the court systems are a flawed method for deciding what's true and not true. Now that would be a good outcome, no?

The problem is that some people could be convinced to not vaccinate their children because of the outcome in the show.

I just saw a doctor interviewed on CNN who said something similar hapened in Great Britain with respect to the measles vaccine and autism after a court decision some years ago suggested a link. The number of cases of measles went up noticably over the years following the scare.
 
I just saw a doctor interviewed on CNN who said something similar hapened in Great Britain with respect to the measles vaccine and autism after a court decision some years ago suggested a link.

It wasn't a TV show or a court case - it was the infamous Wakefield/Lancet paper which the alarmist media all ran with in England, but was obviously terribly flawed. Skeptics didn't get much media time, vaccination rates plummeted, measles epidemics happened.

A fictional court case on a TV show just doesn't seem like nearly the same kind of thing, especially if the lawyers in the TV show are pointing out how the link is not supported by science.
 
Oh, I remember being incensed by a TV drama in Britain about a gung-ho judge who actually said that he ruled that the vaccine had harmed the child. And this was another thiomersal/autism one, not a genuine vaccine damage case.

Grrrrr.

Rolfe.

In the same series* the Judge also ruled a TETRA mast on a block of flats gave a woman Motor Neurone Disease.

For the actual state of knowledge on the causes of Motor Neurone Disease (MND), check out the MND Association page:

http://www.mndassociation.org/news_and_events/news_room/press_releases/tetra_masts_and.html

*I assume you're talking about Judge John Deed.
 
So are TV shows allowed only to portray court cases which were decided in accordance to science?

I haven't seen the show, but objecting to it based simply on the fact that a jury made a decision that goes against the science seems silly. Maybe the viewer will come away with the understanding that the court systems are a flawed method for deciding what's true and not true. Now that would be a good outcome, no?
It would be but that isn't how it works in real life.
 
Cause of Autism

While we're on the subject, I have my own thoughts about causes of autism, and why it's rising. I think it's mostly the lack of face to face communication with kids. They're stuck in front of computers at too early an age. Autism is associated with the inability of the individual to pick up on facial cues.

I think you have an autistic tendency which is genetic in origin. Couple this with a "toxic" environment and autism increases. The genetic component was always present. The environment has changed. With more face to face interaction at an early age, more family time with conversation, the genetic component can be worked around. Neural plasticity is very powerful at overcoming problems.

Conversely without the genetic tendency towards autism, even with less face to face interaction most kids can deal with it. They learn to pick up the facial cues anyway.

Autism might be as simple a matter of just requiring more trials before behaviour patterns become "learned".

Sorry for my $.02 I'm trying to post to bring my count up to 50 so I can turn on my avatar. Also I wanted to air my theory.

-Dave
 
While we're on the subject, I have my own thoughts about causes of autism, and why it's rising. I think it's mostly the lack of face to face communication with kids. They're stuck in front of computers at too early an age. Autism is associated with the inability of the individual to pick up on facial cues.

You honestly think that 6-month-old kids are stuck in front of computers?

Linda
 
You honestly think that 6-month-old kids are stuck in front of computers?

It's a combination of things. People have less family time, I think. Jobs are more stressful and people take their work home. I can testify to this in my own family when I was in the rat race. Work was so draining I just didn't have a lot left for the family. It's so easy to get caught up in that. Family's what's important.

It's the first few years that matter, not just the first 6 months. Kids need to see smiling parents' faces. That's nature's way for us.

-Dave
 
Isn't autism mostly rising because "mental retardation" and "learning disability" are going down....

Retardation is definitely different from autism. Learning disability...you've got a point. Just a change of terms. But schools are seeing a rise in incidence of autism, or whatever you want to call it. At least that's my personal experience. I've got young school age kids.

-Dave
 
I think you have an autistic tendency which is genetic in origin. Couple this with a "toxic" environment and autism increases. The genetic component was always present. The environment has changed.
-Dave

I agree with this part. I'm not sure what it is in the environment that is triggering the rise, but the reports I've read indicate there has been a real rise in incidence, not simply a recategorization of things like retardation.
 
In the same series* the Judge also ruled a TETRA mast on a block of flats gave a woman Motor Neurone Disease.

For the actual state of knowledge on the causes of Motor Neurone Disease (MND), check out the MND Association page:

http://www.mndassociation.org/news_and_events/news_room/press_releases/tetra_masts_and.html

*I assume you're talking about Judge John Deed.
Sounds like it. I didn't watch all of the series, mainly because my husband, who used to work in the legal profession, kept hurling cushions at the TV and shouting "Judges don't do that!" (Which somewhat spoils the viewing experience.)
Both the show's star, Martin Shaw, and its writer GF Newman, share similar political and personal views - anti-factory farming, alternative medicine, veganism and so on. So find that they buy into all the anti-vaccination and tinfoil-hat crap as well comes as no surprise.
The Beeb got so many complaints about the anti-vaccination episode that they banned all further repeats of it.
There was also another anti-MMR TV drama that generated lots of complaints; but I can't find out if any action was taken over them.
 
I agree with this part. I'm not sure what it is in the environment that is triggering the rise, but the reports I've read indicate there has been a real rise in incidence, not simply a recategorization of things like retardation.
No, I think it is just recategorisation. Lots of kids are now being diagnosed as being "on the austistic spectrum"; this includes everything from severe low-functioning autism, where the child will need lifelong care, to Aspergers Syndrome, where the child is able to develop into a functioning adult. Aspergers is a fairly recent diagnosis - they just used to be "funny kids" or social inadequates.
Add in the fact that in most Western countries a diagnosis of autism - any kind of autism - will get your child special priviledges, and it's easy to see the reasons for the rise in diagnosis.
 
Retardation is definitely different from autism. Learning disability...you've got a point. Just a change of terms. But schools are seeing a rise in incidence of autism, or whatever you want to call it. At least that's my personal experience. I've got young school age kids.

-Dave

I am just remembering a graph I saw that showed that at the same time as autism diagnoses went up, LD and MR were going down. Though since you said that, I do remember that one of the lines (probably MD) was already on a downward trent before the autism started increasing. I think it was the LD diagnosis that mirrored the autism changes more closely - suggesting diagnostic substitution might be a factor.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom