- I've been trying to put it all together in one post. This might do it.
- Could be that all you guys need to read are #s 14, 15, 25 & 26.
- My Argument – I had something of an “epiphany” when I was 14 that seems to have been the results of a holistic version of Bayesian statistics applied to my own interesting existence. I came to the “realization” (or at least, the conclusion) that I am immortal.
1. Almost all of us take our own existences for granted – never noticing the miracle of miracles that each of us is.
2. We never notice the astonishing implications of our own existences. We never see the forest for all the trees.
3. The truth seems to be in the recesses of our holistic hemisphere.
4. Given the “popular” analytic and scientific orientation, the probability of my own current existence is “zilch” – yet, here I am!
5. And, almost no one notices the miracle that I am -- or, that they are.
6. And, the power(?) of this miracle is almost impossible to communicate.
7. But, in the face of it, the popular analytic/scientific orientation mentioned above is surely wrong.
8. I’ll be trying to use the binary version of the Bayes Theorem to disprove the popular scientific hypothesis that individual consciousnesses (“selves”) can exist for only one finite time.
9. The formula: P(A|me) = P(me|A) P(A)/(P(me|A) P(A) + P(me|~A) P(~A))
10. Where
10.1. "A" is the hypothesis that each potential human “self” (or, each potential illusion of a human self) exists for one finite period of time, at most.
10.2. And, “me” is my current existence (or, my current illusion of existence).
11. The numbers I propose to insert (my premises):
11.1. P(me|A) = 1/∞
11.2. P(A) = .99
11.3. P(me|~A) = .50 (not sure that makes sense…)
11.4. P(~A) = .01
12. And, P(A|me) = (1/∞).99/((1/∞).99+(.50)(.1)) = 0
13. I think that my critical premises above are 4.1 and 4.2; i.e. that
13.1. The number of potential selves (or, illusions)
13.1.1. Is infinite, and
13.1.2. I am a special case.
13.2. There is reasonable doubt that A is correct.
14. #2 is based upon a lot of questionable evidence.
15. However, if I’m correct about #1, #2 requires very little in the way of evidence.
16. Many scientists in relevant fields have concluded that the sense of a lifetime-continuing self is an illusion.
17. But then, even if the continuing self is some kind of an illusion, it is something that I (and many other such illusions, I assume) wish to continue after death of the physical body.
18. And, according to popular science, even if the self is some kind of illusion,
18.1. The illusion never existed before the life of my physical body, and
18.2. It will never exist after the death of my physical body.
19. Neither did this sense of self have any “representation” (blueprint?) prior to its actual existence.
20. In other words, there was no limited pool of potential selves that it was taken from.
21. Consciousness is an emergent property of a certain type of physical state.
22. Its emergence inherently includes the sense of a specific self.
23. And, this sense of specific self is “brand new” -- again, it had no prior representation at all.
24. While the various “characteristics” of the self (intelligence, morality, physical strength, etc., etc.,) have been determined by specific DNA and experience/environment, such is not the case for the continuing and separate awareness (sense) of the self.
25. Having no kind of previous existence, or representation (not coming from any limited pool of potential selves) – being “brand new” in that sense – even if the matter, energy and/or time available is limited, there is no limit on what specific awarenesses of self will emerge.
26. In other words, the specific possibilities are unlimited – or, infinite.
27. And, given the popular scientific opinion above, your likelihood of a current existence is no better than 7,000,000,000/∞. (7 billion being a rough estimate of the current number of human selves.)
28. But then, I am also a special case – and, if you have the same sense of self-awareness as do I, you are a special case as well.
29. I (however) am the only “thing” that I know exists (one way, or the other). Everything else could be my imagination – but there necessarily is something here doing the imagining. Me.
30. Besides, if I didn’t exist, there “might as well” be nothing -- and according to the popular scientific hypothesis, that would have been the case for all the time before my existence and all the time after my existence…
31. And, if I never exist – which the popular scientific hypothesis should probably expect -- there might as well never be anything… See what I mean?
32. That is what makes me (and probably you) a special case – and the likelihood of my current existence, given the popular scientific position, must be just 1/∞ (zero).
33. In other words, the scientific hypothesis must be wrong.
34. And then, even if I can’t validly claim that I am a special case, 7,000,000,000/∞ is also zero.
- So -- ask, or complain, away. As always, I will try to deal with one question or complaint at a time -- the one I think is most important.