• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Moneymakin'! The BFRO Bigfoot Expeditions Thread.

I didn't intend to bump this thread tonight but I've found (or rather not found) something interesting. I'm updating my bigfoot lecture and went to the BFRO website to find some classic Moneymaker talking points. The BFRO, however, appears to be defunct. Anyone know anything about this?

You give a bigfoot lecture? What course is that part of? I'd love to read a transcript it such a thing were available.
 
Oh it's nothing special dmaker, but I've done it several times. I've delivered versions of it in one of my wildlife classes, in my department's seminar series, and at a state chapter meeting of The Wildlife Society. Tonight I'll be speaking to our student wildlife club. The point is always to illustrate where lack of critical thinking can lead us astray. We have fun with it too. One time I gave the talk on Halloween and delivered the first half of it in character as a "bigfoot researcher".
 
Oh it's nothing special dmaker, but I've done it several times. I've delivered versions of it in one of my wildlife classes, in my department's seminar series, and at a state chapter meeting of The Wildlife Society. Tonight I'll be speaking to our student wildlife club. The point is always to illustrate where lack of critical thinking can lead us astray. We have fun with it too. One time I gave the talk on Halloween and delivered the first half of it in character as a "bigfoot researcher".

Drunk, stupid, and cowardly?
 
Oh it's nothing special dmaker, but I've done it several times. I've delivered versions of it in one of my wildlife classes, in my department's seminar series, and at a state chapter meeting of The Wildlife Society. Tonight I'll be speaking to our student wildlife club. The point is always to illustrate where lack of critical thinking can lead us astray. We have fun with it too. One time I gave the talk on Halloween and delivered the first half of it in character as a "bigfoot researcher".

Did your researcher have 36 years experience, in 36 states and 120 Canadian Provinces, work for the DoD, NASA, and a number of universities? Oh yeah, and was he an engineer/farmer who's cows were sexually assaulted by bigfoot?

Wait, that's a different made-up researcher.
 
Last edited:
^^ You must be talking about Coonbo. I just got schooled on how he must be telling the truth about bigfoot because he is buried in degrees and helped build rockets and stuff. This is the guy that thinks bigfoots outnumber bears in much of North America. When I called him on it, he dialed it down to about 30,000 plus bigfoots. I don't know how he managed to find the time to spend so much time in the woods when he was doing so many degrees and building rockets. Quite the person.
 
^^ You must be talking about Coonbo. I just got schooled on how he must be telling the truth about bigfoot because he is buried in degrees and helped build rockets and stuff. This is the guy that thinks bigfoots outnumber bears in much of North America. When I called him on it, he dialed it down to about 30,000 plus bigfoots. I don't know how he managed to find the time to spend so much time in the woods when he was doing so many degrees and building rockets. Quite the person.

Yes, this gentleman who had to be cajoled by his family to file three sighting reports. Very reticent to discuss his stories. Other than on the BFF, or Bigfoot Quest, or one the dozens of bigfoot blog/podcasts, or Carolina Bigfoot Field Research, or Bigfoot Evidence. Yes, a shy one is he. A shy bigfoot expert.

He's not out to prove anything, though.
 
I got scolded by the chief admin in the premium section of the BFF recently on how foolish I was to question this person's credentials and on how far superior this person's education is to mine, etc, etc.

I like the chief admin there, I think he is a nice guy and honest. But I also think he is buying this persons BS hook, line and sinker.

I believe it happened in the past with some chicken farmer fellow as well?
 
Oh it's nothing special dmaker, but I've done it several times. I've delivered versions of it in one of my wildlife classes, in my department's seminar series, and at a state chapter meeting of The Wildlife Society. Tonight I'll be speaking to our student wildlife club. The point is always to illustrate where lack of critical thinking can lead us astray. We have fun with it too. One time I gave the talk on Halloween and delivered the first half of it in character as a "bigfoot researcher".

I, too, would like to see a transcript, especially of the bolded.
 
I didn't intend to bump this thread tonight but I've found (or rather not found) something interesting. I'm updating my bigfoot lecture and went to the BFRO website to find some classic Moneymaker talking points. The BFRO, however, appears to be defunct. Anyone know anything about this?
BFRO appears to be alive and well on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BFRO/219722521410853

Why pay for hosting when you can get it for free..

B.F.R.O is a non-profit Orginization, founded by Matt Moneymaker in 1995 to prove the existint of a mythical creature, "The Sasquatch"

Apparently they haven't realized that Facebook has a free spell checker..
 
Apparently they haven't realized that Facebook has a free spell checker..

Best to leave it the way it is. Conveys to Bigfooters that they are genuine and straightforward. Correct spelling takes time and energy that could instead be spent looking for Bigfoot and arguing with those who say it doesn't exist.
 
I don't have a transcript, but here's an abridged version:

I did the first half in character again last night. The title included the phrase "why there's no bigfoot" so I started by telling the audience that the organizer had made a mistake with my title. It was supposed to say "Know Bigfoot" which is the name for my new, non-profit research outfit dedicated to learning more about the bigfoot people. I told them that my research team included Moneymaker, Meldrum, and Ketchum and then featured some highlights of their respective talking points.

So for about 20 minutes I buried them in bigfooter speak and logical fallacies. Then I switched gears - and personalities - and presented a basic primer on critical thinking that specifically focused on a few logical fallacies I had planted in the first part of my talk. So then I flipped the classroom to get the audience to identify specific logical fallacies they had heard me use during the first part.

I don't know how effective it was, but the talk was well received. Most of the people there were current or former students of mine, so they'd heard the "critical thinking" part before. The question and answer session afterwards was lively, and gave me the opportunity to expound on things like Don Jeffrey being a fraud and the weird linkages 'footers make between bigfoot and the nephilim.
 
Last edited:
I don't have a transcript, but here's an abridged version:

I did the first half in character again last night. The title included the phrase "why there's no bigfoot" so I started by telling the audience that the organizer had made a mistake with my title. It was supposed to say "Know Bigfoot" which is the name for my new, non-profit research outfit dedicated to learning more about the bigfoot people. I told them that my research team included Moneymaker, Meldrum, and Ketchum and then featured some highlights of their respective talking points.

So for about 20 minutes I buried them in bigfooter speak and logical fallacies. Then I switched gears - and personalities - and presented a basic primer on critical thinking that specifically focused on a few logical fallacies I had planted in the first part of my talk. So then I flipped the classroom to get the audience to identify specific logical fallacies they had heard me use during the first part.

I don't know how effective it was, but the talk was well received. Most of the people there were current or former students of mine, so they'd heard the "critical thinking" part before. The question and answer session afterwards was lively, and gave me the opportunity to expound on things like Don Jeffrey being a fraud and the weird linkages 'footers make between bigfoot and the nephilim.

Since you're on the subject of bigfoot research and pseudoscience, I've a question about the Presence software and its usefullness in determining population densities in, say, I dunno, an uncatalogued species like, say, bigfoot? Specifically, wouldn't this just be a prime example of GiGo?
 
Oh, so are you asking about Ecological Niche Modeling or Occupancy Modeling? In that case, yes - it's absolutely a garbage-in/garbage out sort of thing. That was the exact point that Lozier et al. were trying to make with their 2009 paper. ENM is a powerful tool, but it's so vulnerable to misuse with lousy data that you could even use it to model the predicted distribution of sasquatch from sightings reports. A secondary point of that paper was to illustrate that the "bigfoots" people report are actually bears: the overlap between the predicted distributions of black bear and bigfoot was too high for them to be two distinct species.
 
Last edited:
Oh, so are you asking about Ecological Niche Modeling or Occupancy Modeling? In that case, yes - it's absolutely a garbage-in/garbage out sort of thing. That was the exact point that Lozier et al. were trying to make with their 2009 paper. ENM is a powerful tool, but it's so vulnerable to misuse with lousy data that you could even use it to model the predicted distribution of sasquatch from sightings reports. A secondary point of that paper was to illustrate that the "bigfoots" people report are actually bears: the overlap between the predicted distributions of black bear and bigfoot was too high for them to be two distinct species.

Yeah, you nailed it. Great link.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom