Do you acknowledge that it's possible for a statement such as "I've been less depressed this year than last year" or "the time I had a charlie horse caused me more pain than the time I had a kidney stone" to be incorrect? I think the accuracy of such judgments is often dubious.
Compared to what standard? How are you going to objectively prove that their pain was greater or lesser at a particular time?
Even with actual drugs, how does one test, for example, the objective degree of pain relief that any given amount of morphine produces?
We can
assume that there will be human biases in reporting pain, depression, etc., but if minimizing the symptoms is the goal, the person's perception
is the standard.
A doctor can tell someone: I know you said you feel as if the cancer is gone, but the biopsy shows it's still there, so we need to continue treatment.
But it doesn't work to say: I know you said you're not feeling any pain, but the test shows you're still in pain, so you need to continue pain medication.
It is important to distinguish defining something from operationalizing it. We might operationalize how much coffee someone drinks per week by asking them how much they think they drank, but we would not define how much coffee they drink to mean "how much coffee they think they drink".
How are you going to define the amount of pain a person is in, or the amount of depression they feel, or the strength of their desire to drink alcohol, other than by their subjective experience, in order to compare the
real amount with what they report?
Edited to add: There was a long thread on objectively measuring pain a while ago:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152854