I very much doubt it.
Sorry....has access to an atlas or globe would have been more accurate, I think.
I very much doubt it.
Numbering added by me.
I'm pretty certain that this is well known. But as far as I know England is still its own country, like any other country in the UN.
No, it's just something one might expect a Belgian or a German to know about! It's not meaningful or useful perhaps. It's simply information that one might expect them to have inside their brains, because they have necessarily been exposed to it.And if they regard it as being much more meaningful knowledge than it actually is, in practical terms?
And I'm guessing most people would guess Melbourne or Sydney if asked the capital of Australia.
In many cases it isn't "ignorance". Who is considered the most influential author on the topic of the constitution of the United Kingdom? Walter Bagehot. What is his book on this subject called? "The English Constitution". So the most authoritative writing on the constitution of our country was composed by a person who didn't know the country's name. Not a good start! But of course he knew it. He paid no attention to it.Mudcat, no "England" isn't in the UN, except as part of the UK. Though to be fair, that kind of ignorance is the kind of thing that has brought us to the independence referendum for Scotland next year.
No, it's just something one might expect a Belgian or a German to know about! It's not meaningful or useful perhaps. It's simply information that one might expect them to have inside their brains, because they have necessarily been exposed to it.
I quote simply don't believe that educated citizens of the USA have never read a newspaper or seen a news broadcast on TV which names the capital of their neighbour Canada.So... is not knowing information one hasn't been necessarily exposed to a problem?
Is it a problem if some (many? most? almost all?) Americans haven't been necessarily exposed to information about the capital of Canada?
I mean, that question is the topic of the thread, after all.
And as I said, there is nothing plausible that will happen in Ottawa that will radically alter those oil exports. Will there be a Canadian oil embargo? I think not. For the average American, there is little likely to happen in the Canadian government that will effect them. Like I said in another post, what is unimportant today may become important tomorrow. If Canada declares war on another country, believe me, Americans will take the 30 seconds it takes to reacquaint themselves with the capital to the north.
I mean, that question is the topic of the thread, after all.
While I wholeheartedly endorse all of that, I don't see how knowing the name of the capital of Canada is especially helpful for any of that. All of those things can be better understood, and appreciated, without knowing that Ottawa is the capital of Canada (though you'll probably learn it along the way).
I quote simply don't believe that educated citizens of the USA have never read a newspaper or seen a news broadcast on TV which names the capital of their neighbour Canada.
I'll tell you why it's important to know the name of Canada's capital city: I just put it on today's quiz as a 2-point bonus. Two students (out of 24) got it correct; both admitted to having seen this story in the news today.
Most popular answer? "Quebec"
Weirdest answer? "Denmark"
It isn't, but I suggest that not knowing the Canadian capitol is highly correlated with ignorance about the other far less trivial things I mentioned concerning our polite neighbors to the north.
"Keystone" a proposed pipeline to carry crude fromCanada to the refineries of the Gulf of Mexico.
"Northern Gateway" proposed pipeline to carry crude to Kitimat B.C. in order to ship it to Asia
Decisions made in Ottawa, Edmonton, and Victoria, as well as Washington D.C., that may well be of some interest to Americans for several reasons.
Frankly a similar knowledge test should be done at, say, University of Toronto, asking students what the Capitol of the U.S.A and/or Mexico are.
I expect the results would be better than those described in the O.P.
ETA:How many Canadians know the capitol of Belarus or Ecuador? That might be more fair a question.