Madalch
The Jester
- Joined
- Nov 17, 2006
- Messages
- 9,763
It's got lots of them- one for each country (for the most part, at least- some of them have more than one).Didn't know Africa had a capital...
It's got lots of them- one for each country (for the most part, at least- some of them have more than one).Didn't know Africa had a capital...
Well we did move the capital there to better protect it from your grubby paws....given Ottawa is inland and nowhere near any major US city.
Hell, even if they're students of international trade, I'd expect Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Halifax to be more important to knowing about Canada, given Ottawa is inland and nowhere near any major US city.
It's like not knowing US trade decisions are made "in Washington"
I'm not a business major, so I always thought it was New York.
You thought Congress was in New York?
Is it also obscure knowledge that Quebec is not a city, but a province, that England is part of the United Kingdom, and that Africa is a continent and not a country?Before I read the article cited in the original post said the capital of Canada is Ottawa, before reading that I would have said the capital was Quebec. I also don't know the name of the capitals of England, Africa, Australia, or Brazil. I also don't know the capital of the large majority of the states in the country I live in, for that mater.
So yeah, I consider it a very particular and obscure piece of knowledge.
Is it also obscure knowledge that (1) Quebec is not a city, but a province, that (2) England is part of the United Kingdom, and that (3) Africa is a continent and not a country?
I always thought it was like Australia in that it was both a nation/country and a continent.
No England is in the UN as part of the United Kingdom, not on its own.Numbering added by me.
- I'm far from the only person who has ever made that mistake, certainly.
- I'm pretty certain that this is well known. But as far as I know England is still its own country, like any other country in the UN.
- I always thought it was like Australia in that it was both a nation/country and a continent.
Also predictable was the commentary that followed which lambasted the intellegience of the responders (one commented "What did you expect from a girl with blue hair?"), the state of education today, teachers unions, and the ACA.
Okay, that's a lot worse than not knowing the capital of Canada, lol. Wasn't Sarah Palin rumored to have made the same mistake?
No England is in the UN as part of the United Kingdom, not on its own.
Okay, that's a lot worse than not knowing the capital of Canada, lol. Wasn't Sarah Palin rumored to have made the same mistake?
I don't recall saying that England being on its own. I merely said it was its own country, similar to how America is its own country despite being part of the UN.
Good grief, you make a mistake and no one lets you live it down.
It wasn't true by the way. Complete fabrication.
Good to know. I only mentioned the rumor as an attempt to soften the blow to Mudcat.