• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Does compulsory schooling equate to slavery? (Split from: "Liberal Fallacies" thread)

Amazer seems quite willing to sacrifice a good number of Christian children to obtain the blood necessary for her Satanic rituals.

That might be a valid statement if I were to be arguing in favour of policies/measures that would result in an increasing number of Christian children to become available for said rituals.

However, I'm not... and thus you're argument falls flat.
 
That might be a valid statement if I were to be arguing in favour of policies/measures that would result in an increasing number of Christian children to become available for said rituals.

However, I'm not... and thus you're argument falls flat.
For the same reason, your argument falls flat.
 
Last edited:
It is also the exact same thing as what happens in the homeschools and private schools that Malcolm has said he prefers, in fact. Homeschooling and private schooling is just as much "unpaid labor" and coercive for the child as public schooling is.

Right. If the title of the threas was "should parents be free to choose to send their children to school ?" it would've been far more honest.
 
Why would the party in control of government schools give equal time to opposition parties? Political control of school threatens democracy.

You're aware that the state is you, right ?

George Orwell

Not even as impressive as Einstein.

Randfan claimed that his texts discussed problems with anecdotal evidence.

Why do you address people in the third person when talking to them ? That's very rude.
 
You're aware that the state is you, right?
The State is me no more than McDonald's or the National Football League is me. The government of __A__ (locality) is the largest dealer in interpersonal violence in that locality (definition, after Weber).
Why do you address people in the third person when talking to them ? That's very rude.
Why do strident advocates for redistributive government take far more than their share of offense? How is this uncivil? I seek distance when people routinely use "dodge", "incoherent", "bigot", and other insults in their arguments, as RandFan has done.
 
The State is me no more than McDonald's or the National Football League is me.

Actually, it is more you than McDonald's or the NFL, since you can't vote for who gets to be in charge of the decisionmaking at McDonald's or the NFL.

The government of __A__ (locality) is the largest dealer in interpersonal violence in that locality (definition, after Weber).

More irrelevant copypasta.

Why do strident advocates for redistributive government take far more than their share of offense? How is this uncivil?

Really? You call people in this thread "strident advocates for redistributive government" and then ask how that's uncivil?
 
Actually, it is more you than McDonald's or the NFL, since you can't vote for who gets to be in charge of the decisionmaking at McDonald's or the NFL.
Unlike the government, McDonald's cannot bill me for services or products I don't use or which I consider fraudulent or actively destructive. The NFL cannot bill me for services or products I don't use or which I consider fraudulent or actively destructive. Voting is a feedback mechanism. When 500,000 other people dilute my vote, my vote counts for very little. Participation in market processes is a feedback mechanism. When I withhold my custom, I make about as much difference to McDonald's as I make when I vote for City Council. To my own life, I make far more difference using market feedback mechanisms than using political feedback mechanisms. My "candidate" (consumer choice) wins whenever I buy.
Really? You call people in this thread "strident advocates for redistributive government" and then ask how that's uncivil?
No. I ask how the impersonal style qualifies as uncivil. I explain my recourse to that style as a reaction to Randfan's unmoderated and strident incivility ("dodge", "incoherent", "bigot", etc.).
 
If 500,000 people dilute your vote, the same 500,000 will do the same to your market feedback.
This is true, but I don't have to live with the result. I can eat somewhere else. Consider the outcome of a nation-wide vote on the one size and style of shoes all 14-year-olds must wear. Now ask yourself why we consign curriculum decisions to the political process. Brains vary more than feet.
 
This is true, but I don't have to live with the result. I can eat somewhere else. Consider the outcome of a nation-wide vote on the one size and style of shoes all 14-year-olds must wear. Now ask yourself why we consign curriculum decisions to the political process. Brains vary more than feet.

When the US votes on the mandatory shoe vote come talk to us.

In the US the electorate group as the free market, so if you're disagreeing with either, you're SOL.
 
Did Randfan's college statistics class used Wikipedia as a text?
A.) I don't have all of my textbooks from 30 years ago. B.) You have never provided a text book definition for slavery. B.) Wikipedia sources the article you reject out of hand. Your request is silly and hypocritical.

Did Randfan's
Did Malcolm's mother ever teach him manners.

Try civility
 
It might actually be difficult finding a statistics textbook describing how a single anecdote is not statistically useful, as it is too basic a concept.
I don't even get his point? Is it a gotcha? And where does he get off demanding that I provide a text book definition when all he can provide for his definition of slavery is... I forget, Thomas Sowell or Walter Williams. I don't care enough to go look. In any event, it's not the dictionary definition but he demands that we all accept it. Odd that there are many, many google hits.

I don't get it. I guess there are two different standards.

Anecdotal evidence | Define Anecdotal evidence at Dictionary.com

Anecdotal Evidence

Your logical fallacy is anecdotal

Atheism: Logic & Fallacies - Secular Web
 
Take that up with the moderator who named this thread.
Ummm.....

Compulsory, unpaid labor is slavery. In most US States, children between age 6 and age 18 labor, unpaid, as windowdressing in the make-work program for dues-paying members of the NEA/AFT/AFSCME cartel that people call "the public school system". Your indifference to the brutal subordination that this system inflicts would be laughable if it weren't so insulting.
Those are YOUR words. It was THOSE words that started a sub thread. If you don't want your words taken seriously then don't post them!
 
Ummm.....

Those are YOUR words. It was THOSE words that started a sub thread. If you don't want your words taken seriously then don't post them!
Moderators started this thread and named it. Compulsion kills motivation. That's true. Slavery is a matter of degree. All the hostile verbiage that the cartel's defenders pour over these facts do not change the facts.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom