"There were no metal fragments in any of the folks that we examined to this point."
Key words: "to this point."
Maybe they found them later...?
Well, it's plural, so it must be more than one body examined. Well, or so the claim was.
Other puzzling things in that article:
"He also said there were no heat burns that might suggest a bomb exploded on the plane.
"There have been some chemical burns from the petrol, but it appears to be post mortem . . . chemical burns from the gasoline floating around," said Bonatempi.
A helicopter took some of the victims' family members to view the crash site yesterday. Gov. George Pataki said one father bade goodbye to his young daughter as he flew over the crash site. "I'm not even sure that she's there," Pataki quoted the father as saying.
"It's very hard for them to express things," said a tearful Pataki. "It's more tears than words."
Mechanical failure unlikely
Authorities had begun to rule out mechanical failure as a possible cause of the explosion.
"The possibility of a criminal act is a distinct one," said Francis, noting that the crew sent no distress call.
Kallstrom said, "I think the least likely thing . . . is mechanical. I mean, that's just common sense."
Still, the FBI was not prepared to call the crash an act of terrorism." --
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960721&slug=2340268
Had begun to rule out mechanical failure ... common sense. Well, I guess it was one of those rare fluke events. Not.
ETA: And gasoline (kerosene?) floating around? In a specific location, not blown away by the wind that stripped the supposed victims of all their clothes? Yeah, right. As I said, fairy tales.