Dcdrac
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jan 27, 2006
- Messages
- 5,141
(emphasis added)Rape?
The woman has to consent to the ultrasound. I guess women are getting raped in OB/GYN offices every day.
What you fail to recognize and admit is that these laws won't reduce the number of abortions, they will reduce only the number of LEGAL abortions. You're accomplishing nothing but increasing the risk for a lot of mostly poor women. So much for "protecting the safety and health of women." You don't care about that at all. You just want to feel smug because once abortion is forced back underground you can ignore all the illegal abortions and point to the fact that the number of legal ones is shrinking.
If the GOP wanted to reduce abortions they would concentrate on providing contraception and stop the idiotic abstinence only nonsense. It's not just Canada.Some food for thought: In Canada, there has been effectively no laws controlling abortions since a 1988 Supreme Court decision struck them down. But in spite of what amounts to a laissez-faire situation in regards to abortions, the rate of abortions in Canada is 20% lower than it is in the United States. Not only that, but 97% of those abortions are performed within the first 16 weeks of pregnancy. (Contraceptive use is also higher, with 80% of women using some form of birth control versus 63% in the U.S.)
News OK said:As a practicing physician (who never has or will perform an abortion), I deal with the real world. In the real world, 15- and 16-year-olds get pregnant (sadly, 12-, 13- and 14-year-olds do also). In the real world, 62 percent of women ages 20 to 24 who give birth are unmarried. And in the world I work and live in, an unplanned pregnancy can throw up a real roadblock on a woman's path to escaping the shackles of poverty.
Yet I cannot convince my Republican colleagues that one of the best ways to eliminate abortions is to ensure access to contraception. A recent attempt by my fellow lawmakers to prevent Medicaid dollars from covering the “morning after” pill is a case in point. Denying access to this important contraceptive is a sure way to increase legal and back-alley abortions. Moreover, such a law would discriminate against low-income women who depend on Medicaid for their health care.
But wait, some lawmakers want to go even further and limit everyone's access to birth control by allowing pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception
RandFan is just being dishonest as usual and will accuse anyone who disagrees with his nonsense of special pleading ...
There is no magical point when day begins.
Your body is the least important aspect of you. What makes you "a human" are your memories and your ability to think and feel.
"Kill the life growing inside of you" is the typical emotional appeal that has no basis in reality.
I think you're going to learn that the values of health and autonomy often run against each other in their absolutes and I find abortion to be one of those.
The GOP is pushing for state and national personhood laws. Such laws would proscribe any birth control after conception. Many Republicans are on record to push through such laws.
Instead I want to go to the other extreme, one you may like but is about as un-American and ethically wrong at the same time. Mandatory vasectomies for all males starting at age 10.
How are the speculums, doctor's hands and surgical instruments in her vagina not rape and the ultrasound is?
But, as an American, I can live with the framework established in Roe and Webster and I think the new Texas ban after 20 weeks is perfectly acceptable.
There is no doubt that the intent is to reduce abortions. The question is whether or not that's a bad thing. I say it's not and the possibility that it might lead to illegal abortions is not compelling enough. The only way you will eliminate illegal abortion is to make it completely legal at any stage of pregnancy and that will never happen.What's the point then? Are you acknowledging that the bill is a trap law?
I guess it depends on the controlling philosophy. If society at large believes that abortion after point X is wrong then it isn't "harassing women," it's enforcing the law.You say that as if that is a good thing. Don't get me wrong. If you can reduce abortions through comprehensive education and birth control then I'm for it. I'm not an abortion enthusiast. Id like very much to see abortions reduced. But not at the expense of harassing women.
There is no doubt that the intent is to reduce abortions. The question is whether or not that's a bad thing. I say it's not and the possibility that it might lead to illegal abortions is not compelling enough.
It's not my only premise. But you are far to quick to dismiss it. The abortion laws will harm women.There is no doubt that the intent is to reduce abortions. The question is whether or not that's a bad thing. I say it's not and the possibility that it might lead to illegal abortions is not compelling enough. The only way you will eliminate illegal abortion is to make it completely legal at any stage of pregnancy and that will never happen.
A.) There is no evidence that these laws will reduce abortions. You have not demonstrated that these laws work as promised. You have no evidence to counter the fact that rich women will simply fly to other states and poor women will turn to back alley abortions. Canada has much lower rates of abortion. They have abortion on demand.I guess it depends on the controlling philosophy. If society at large believes that abortion after point X is wrong then it isn't "harassing women," it's enforcing the law.
Ejaculation is a precise point. There is a precise point when the egg attaches to the uterine wall (gastrulation). I fail to see the point of that. It looks like text book special pleading. Keep in mind it's not the only precise point. It's an arbitrary distinction. A fertilized egg has no thoughts and cannot suffer. It has no form or function of a human. If you want to think of it as human that's fine. I don't and I've yet to see a compelling argument to think otherwise. A pregnant woman can think and she can suffer.There's a precise point when an egg is fertilized, though. It's a discrete event.
I respect your feelings. You are entitled to your feelings. My mom feels she talks to Jesus. I don't mean to insult. I can't think of a better example. On the other hand, I don't know your religious sentiments. Sorry if I'm being presumptuous.At that instant is formed a blueprint for a genetically complete, absolutely unique human being. I agree that a blueprint is not a building. But I also see ethical implications not present with sperm. For example, selectively aborting by gender, which is common in some countries, just doesn't sit right with me. That's all it is, a feeling.
I killed a cockroach today. I killed a collection of cells that are markedly different than a fertilized egg.You're killing a collection of cells that are markedly different than the 100,000,000 sperm cells that die with every ejaculation.
You are entitled to your opinions but it does not seem to be informed by skepticism, critical thinking and science.Conception is a key event IMO.
Absolutely it could. I suspect that your question is more about plausibility/probability (is it plausible/is it likely). It's plausible. I would give it less than a 50% chance at this moment but not by much.Better to me that they're on record. It won't happen. Do you think it could?
Minoosh said:I kind of like that, and it won't happen. Make a deposit in the bank then get snipped. I would like to hear about your analysis of ethics involved.
Like the premise that god lives. Some of us start with the premise that there is no evidence for god. Some of us start with the premise that there is evidence that a fertilized egg is a human being. It has no form or function of a human being. You cannot fee it, hold it in your arms or see it smile.I think the main problem we are finding in this thread is that we can't agree at what point a human becomes a human. We've had assertions that there is no such point, that its when its born, conception, viability, etc. Science cannot give us the answer. We are divided by philosophical lines. We can apply all the skepticism and critical thinking we like, but if we all start from different premises, our conclusions will be different.
Some people consider evolution to be false. If it is a human being then why do you support killing it?I consider the product of conception to be a human being.
If you were correct then abortion at the earliest stages is murder. You are being morally inconsistent.I don't consider gametes, skin cells or blood cells to be human beings. I can accept abortion in the earliest stages, but at some point that human being deserves protection.
It was intended by the founders that society could not simply vote away constitutional rights. That is a major purpose for legislative debates and a Republic. That is a major purpose of the judiciary. To protect the minority from tyranny of the majority.You may agree or disagree with me but it really comes down to this: Society has to determine what it finds acceptable.
You can see it smile with a 3D ultrasound.Like the premise that god lives. Some of us start with the premise that there is no evidence for god. Some of us start with the premise that there is evidence that a fertilized egg is a human being. It has no form or function of a human being. You cannot fee it, hold it in your arms or see it smile.
Why is it tyranny of the majority in the case of abortion and not in the case of evolution? Don't minority positions deserve to be protected? Don't they have Constitutional rights?Some people consider evolution to be false. If it is a human being then why do you support killing it?
In the interests of the larger society, we have to compromise on these grey-area types of issues. There is a middle ground there between both extremes and that is where policy is currently set. In Texas, it's a pretty conservative line; other States are more liberal.If you were correct then abortion at the earliest stages is murder. You are being morally inconsistent.
But there is no Constitutional right to murder. As long as Americans are uncomfortable with abortion in the later stages of pregnancy, abortion will continue to be heavily restricted. And each State should be able to draw it's own lines where it sees fit. Otherwise, what's the purpose of States?It was intended by the founders that society could not simply vote away constitutional rights. That is a major purpose for legislative debates and a Republic. That is a major purpose of the judiciary. To protect the minority from tyranny of the majority.
Says you. But there are plenty of people even on this forum who argue strenuously for gun control. I think sweeping gun control could happen before abortion is liberalized.If the majority wanted to ban all guns in the United States hopefully our legislators would have the conscience necessary to stop the infringement of rights. If not, hopefully the judiciary would overturn such an obvious infringement of our liberty.
They would say that gun control advocates sure care a lot about controlling guns because they kill people but they don't care two cents for all the babies being slaughtered in the womb. It's all a matter of perspective.Conservatives scream and yell "constitutionally" protected right when it comes to guns. A constitutionally protect right to privacy they don't give two cents for.
They certainly protect fetuses. You can't say that every woman who can't get a legal abortion will seek out an illegal abortion.Here's the punch line. There is no evidence that such laws will protect women or fetuses. It's all about there "feelings".
And who says the state has any right to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own lives and bodies?
The State regulates what all of us can and can't do with our bodies. You can't use pot, cocaine and heroin, for example. What makes abortion different?