• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Texas Repubs pass abortion bill

not to mention guns with as few restrictions as possible and invading countries for bogus reasons.

The elephant in the JREF room, invisible and or denied by most JREF Republican sympathizers is the stranglehold the religious right have over their party.

But there's a bigger elephant in the room which is the fact, as evidenced by various polls throughout the last 50 years or so, that most Americans want abortions to be illegal after the 1st trimester.

I am not religious at all. God has nothing to do with the fact that I consider an individual human life to begin at conception. I would support a ban on abortions after the 1st trimester. But, as an American, I can live with the framework established in Roe and Webster and I think the new Texas ban after 20 weeks is perfectly acceptable.
 
Conservatives are all about freedom, except for women.. women need regulations on what they can do with their vaginas.

I haven't seen any laws about what they can do with their vaginas. I see laws based on what they can do with the unborn baby inside their womb.
 
I haven't seen any laws about what they can do with their vaginas. I see laws based on what they can do with the unborn baby inside their womb.

I don't think you can trick anyone with your semantics. Why do you even try?
 
I don't think you can trick anyone with your semantics. Why do you even try?

It's not semantics. There is no law that says a woman cannot have sex with anyone they want to however many times they want to or in whatever flavor of sex she wants. Go for it ladies!

But there is a law in Texas that says you can't decide to kill the life growing inside of you after the 20th week.

The 2nd does not unduly burden the 1st in the 21st century.
 
It's not semantics. There is no law that says a woman cannot have sex with anyone they want to however many times they want to or in whatever flavor of sex she wants. Go for it ladies!

But there is a law in Texas that says you can't decide to kill the life growing inside of you after the 20th week.

The 2nd does not unduly burden the 1st in the 21st century.
The people who provide abortion services (doctors, experts) say that it does. Further, the Supreme Court has already ruled that a woman has a right to an abortion up and until viability.

"Kill the life growing inside of you" is the typical emotional appeal that has no basis in reality. Sperm, so long as it is swimming are living human cells (arguably human life). A blastocyst is a human life. A zygote is human life. A fetus is human life. Until viability there is no means for the fetus to suffer so this wringing of hands is A.) burdensome B.) contrary to SCOTUS and C.) just an emotional appeal without any consideration of the women who will be harmed by this until SCOTUS throws these laws out.
 
But there's a bigger elephant in the room which is the fact, as evidenced by various polls throughout the last 50 years or so, that most Americans want abortions to be illegal after the 1st trimester.
Argument ad populum. Majority sentiment that is counter to the constitution is neither here no there. The majority would likely ban Muslims from holding higher office or immigrating. That is not a valid basis to deny constitutional rights.

The legislators are not experts in medicine. They are ignoring scientific consensus that the fetus cannot suffer prior to viability.
 
Make no mistake about it.

The purpose of the bill is to deny as many women as possible of their constitutional right of abortion.

Abortion rights advocates and Democrats said the law could force a majority of the state’s 42 abortion clinics to close. The new provision that clinics be licensed as ambulatory surgery centers would require costly renovations or relocations to meet the architectural and equipment standards. Only five abortion clinics — in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston — meet those standards.

xjx388,

What evidence exists that this bill is needed to make clinics be licensed as ambulatory surgery centers? Please, I want to know. It's a trap law designed to punish women for having sex. It will do nothing to stop rich women from having abortions and it will do little if anything to stop poor women from having abortions. It will just increase the likelihood of harm to poor women.

The evidence is clear, these laws do not decrease abortions.

The New York Times said:
ROME, Oct. 11 — A comprehensive global study of abortion has concluded that abortion rates are similar in countries where it is legal and those where it is not, suggesting that outlawing the procedure does little to deter women seeking it.
You are a smart guy. There are many smart folks in Texas. If you or anyone had data that contradicted the experts we would have heard it by now.

But hey, perhaps I'm wrong. Let's see the studies that show that these laws do anything to reduce abortions or increase the health of women.

These laws are trap laws. They are intentionally targeted at women who have abortions. The changes for clinics are intentionally cost prohibitive to make it much more difficult for women to have an abortion.
 
I haven't seen any laws about what they can do with their vaginas. I see laws based on what they can do with the unborn baby inside their womb.

For the love of God just let me have your organs then, there are people who need them and will die without them. As a young, viable male we should have laws about what you can and cannot do with your organs.
 
It's not semantics. There is no law that says a woman cannot have sex with anyone they want to however many times they want to or in whatever flavor of sex she wants. Go for it ladies!

But there is a law in Texas that says you can't decide to kill the life growing inside of you after the 20th week.

The 2nd does not unduly burden the 1st in the 21st century.

How about a 20 week induced labor then? no really, at 20 weeks if abortions are illegal why not just induce labor, after all this is the 21st century right?

You've given away the game here, because this is no longer about the life of the child this is about the right of the woman to control her pregnancy. Let me ask you, do you think it's right for a woman to deliver a premature baby in her home without any medical aid? I mean, we're talking about viability here, a survival statistic artificially reduced by medical aid. By that distinction, a woman can have an abortion after 20 weeks assuming that she opts out of pursuing reproductive health services. Or do you want the state to intervene on that too?
 
For the love of God just let me have your organs then, there are people who need them and will die without them. As a young, viable male we should have laws about what you can and cannot do with your organs.

I would support laws requiring organ donation (after death of course ;) ) with an exemption on religious grounds. IOW, you'd have to opt-out rather than opt-in.
 
I would support laws requiring organ donation (after death of course ;) ) with an exemption on religious grounds. IOW, you'd have to opt-out rather than opt-in.

Using the rationale that the State's interests can influence law then the circumstances nonwithstanding you can't opt out. Those people who need organs are viable, they just need your organs.

By the way I think we'd all love mandatory organ donation. How about mandatory life support? We'll splice someone into your body until they're viable, and well circumstances don't really matter here because viability knows no autonomy.

But I do like the idea of allowing fetuses a woman's uterus if she dies. That's the kind of organ donation I can get behind (anything for mad science!!!).

I think you're going to learn that the values of health and autonomy often run against each other in their absolutes and I find abortion to be one of those.

I've asked a few times, I want to just see what you say on this. If a woman is pregnant and it's passed 20 weeks, would it be fine for her to just have an induced labor and test the strengths of viability on the newly born infant? The way I see it this respects the autonomy of the mother while also giving the value of life that defines the (stupid) distinction of viability.
 
Last edited:
How about a 20 week induced labor then? no really, at 20 weeks if abortions are illegal why not just induce labor, after all this is the 21st century right?
When we get to a point where a 20 week old fetus can be delivered and have a good shot of living with little to no risk to the mother (at least compared to carrying the baby to term), then we can talk about it. This would be great, because there are plenty of people who want to adopt and this would provide plenty of babies. For now, I see no reason to endanger the fetus with such a risky procedure.
You've given away the game here, because this is no longer about the life of the child this is about the right of the woman to control her pregnancy.
Control her pregnancy? What does that even mean? The woman has a right to make medical decisions concerning her own body up until the point where that decision would be akin to murder.
Let me ask you, do you think it's right for a woman to deliver a premature baby in her home without any medical aid?
Right? It's not a question of right or wrong; it just happens sometimes. But, admittedly, I'm not too sure what you are getting at here.
I mean, we're talking about viability here, a survival statistic artificially reduced by medical aid.
And abortions can be characterized as legalized murder by medical aid. These kinds of arguments are not helpful.
By that distinction, a woman can have an abortion after 20 weeks assuming that she opts out of pursuing reproductive health services. Or do you want the state to intervene on that too?
Lack of prenatal care does not automatically equal miscarriage. And prenatal care does not automatically equal healthy baby.

I want the State to intervene by making sure poor women have access to prenatal care. If a woman recklessly endangers the life of the baby, then I'd like the State to intervene as well.
 
Using the rationale that the State's interests can influence law then the circumstances nonwithstanding you can't opt out. Those people who need organs are viable, they just need your organs.
This is an entirely different issue from abortion. But let's focus on the State's interests. The State does not have a compelling interest in guaranteeing that you don't die prematurely. They only have an interest in protecting you from someone else deciding to end your life. Denying organ donation does not end someone's life; the underlying disease did that.

By the way I think we'd all love mandatory organ donation. How about mandatory life support? We'll splice someone into your body until they're viable, and well circumstances don't really matter here because viability knows no autonomy.
This makes no sense.

I've asked a few times, I want to just see what you say on this. If a woman is pregnant and it's passed 20 weeks, would it be fine for her to just have an induced labor and test the strengths of viability on the newly born infant? The way I see it this respects the autonomy of the mother while also giving the value of life that defines the (stupid) distinction of viability.
No, that would not be fine.
 
Here's my compromise and one that I hope abortion proponents will push hard for in the face of this law. I think that RU486 and other forms of medical abortion should be widely available by prescription. Medical abortion is only feasible in the nine weeks after LMP so it should be well within anyone's definition of viability.

I would also like to see Texas push for widely available birth control for the poor along with comprehensive sex education for everyone.
 
Control her pregnancy? What does that even mean? The woman has a right to make medical decisions concerning her own body up until the point where that decision would be akin to murder.
What on Earth does THAT even mean?

There is no scientific evidence that a fetus prior to viability is functionally, fundamentally different than a fetus prior to 20 weeks. Neither can suffer or appreciate their existence.

The only reason to deny a woman the constitutional right to an abortion up to viability is superstition and irrational emotions. The experts do not believe that a fetus is "murdered" prior to 20 weeks.

You continue to appeal to emotions and equivocate your words.
 
Here's my compromise and one that I hope abortion proponents will push hard for in the face of this law. I think that RU486 and other forms of medical abortion should be widely available by prescription. Medical abortion is only feasible in the nine weeks after LMP so it should be well within anyone's definition of viability.

I would also like to see Texas push for widely available birth control for the poor along with comprehensive sex education for everyone.
That would be wonderful but it won't happen. The GOP is pushing for state and national personhood laws. Such laws would proscribe any birth control after conception. Many Republicans are on record to push through such laws.

But no compromise is needed. SCOTUS has set viability as the law. This was informed by science and not passions and superstition to deny women reproductive rights.
 
Is this thing on?

xjx388,

What evidence exists that this bill is needed to make clinics be licensed as ambulatory surgery centers? Please, I want to know. It's a trap law designed to punish women for having sex. It will do nothing to stop rich women from having abortions and it will do little if anything to stop poor women from having abortions. It will just increase the likelihood of harm to poor women.

The evidence is clear, these laws do not decrease abortions.
I guess I'm on ignore. Anyone else have evidence why Texas needed these particular restrictions on clinics? Anyone?
 
This is an entirely different issue from abortion. But let's focus on the State's interests. The State does not have a compelling interest in guaranteeing that you don't die prematurely. They only have an interest in protecting you from someone else deciding to end your life. Denying organ donation does not end someone's life; the underlying disease did that.

You realize that fetuses are in an organ donation paradigm, right? If a woman denies her organs to the fetus then it dies. Your distinction is laughable. I submit that people who need an organ transplant are similar to a fetus. They both require someone else's organs to survive and denying either results in their death. It's not fair to ignore the circumstances of a fetus while noticing those of the organ donor. The state can't say that I have to give you my organs, and they can't say the woman has to give hers either to the fetus. That's a choice. This is not some "no take-seys back-seys" game the state can play.

When we get to a point where a 20 week old fetus can be delivered and have a good shot of living with little to no risk to the mother (at least compared to carrying the baby to term), then we can talk about it. This would be great, because there are plenty of people who want to adopt and this would provide plenty of babies. For now, I see no reason to endanger the fetus with such a risky procedure.

Then the fetus is not viable at 20 weeks. Face it, what you WANT is to make it compulsory for pregnant women to have a full term birth, regardless of if they want to. This isn't an intervention in the protection of the unborn this an intervention in the control of her pregnancy, a control that belongs to her and any party she's allowed including healthcare practitioners. You want to protect the life of the children, then go develop a surrogate uterus. Until then, neither you nor any state can take charge of hers.

Control her pregnancy? What does that even mean? The woman has a right to make medical decisions concerning her own body up until the point where that decision would be akin to murder.

The right to make medical decisions is hers ALWAYS. It's not like she's even SUPPOSED to have pre-natal care or register her pregnancy with ANYONE. You can't FORCE THAT. That's why the 24-28 weeks "viability" thing is so stupid, it's artificial, not an intrinsic property of a fetus. A fetus isn't viable until it's born either "naturally" or through interventions like a c-section and even then viability would be an after-the-fact distinction by whether they lived or not. The fact that you won't even allow for an induced birth at 20 weeks only demonstrates that, you don't care about viability you care about the pregnancy! You won't mind at 20 weeks, you won't mind at 6 weeks, you won't mind at 2 hours. You're banking on a convenience of successful legislation for 20 weeks and I bet a year ago you probably would have said 24-28 weeks was fine too. And I bet deep down, as soon as someone enables you, as soon as the mob strolls in you'll be saying 6 weeks or 2 weeks or 2 hours too.

You're transparent.

And abortions can be characterized as legalized murder by medical aid. These kinds of arguments are not helpful.

The words "legalized murder" are self-refuting. It's a nonsensical phrase.

Lack of prenatal care does not automatically equal miscarriage. And prenatal care does not automatically equal healthy baby.

I want the State to intervene by making sure poor women have access to prenatal care. If a woman recklessly endangers the life of the baby, then I'd like the State to intervene as well.

And that demonstrates my point all the more.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom