Lowpro
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jan 1, 2011
- Messages
- 5,399
You are not a man so you don't get to judge how much punishment you think it is to either have our babies killed or make us be parents when we don't want to be. It's pretty bad.
Say what?
You are not a man so you don't get to judge how much punishment you think it is to either have our babies killed or make us be parents when we don't want to be. It's pretty bad.
Say what?
Satirical intent is hard to convey in simple text.
But once you conceive that life, it shouldn't be so easy to destroy it; its not a waste product or parasite that can be discarded.
So, while I think abortions should be legal and safe, I don't think they should be widely available.
So we are all just, like on a continuum of life that had no beginning and will never end. That's heavy, man. Pass the bong. I kid.A.) Your citations are missing. B.) Argument by assertion. C.) No it's not. Human sperm and ovum are living human cells. There is no point at which life "begins".
The blogger you link to says this: " I’m also confident that the freshly fertilized zygote is not human, either. There’s more to being human than bearing a cell with the right collection of genes." First of all: Argument by assertion (a fallacy).
Lots of women believe having sex with their husbands is their duty. It would never cross their minds to say no. Other women simply don't have the courage to.I don't know, that sounds pretty rapey to me . . .can you give me a scenario when a woman doesn't have a choice that is not rape?
Her husband or significant other. Because she doesn't know she can say no. Do you really need to have this stuff explained to you?Who is preventing her? Why doesn't she just say no to them?
No, they are not mentally handicapped, but nice condescending dig. They would die of embarrassment if they walked into a store to buy condoms (and their partners probably wouldn't use them anyway.) They are not health-care aware and simply don't go to doctors. Lots of women are not clear on how conception happens (they understand the intercourse connection, but not the mechanics) and find such discussions unwomanly, immodest, and mortifying, so they're also not clear on how to prevent conception. They are ignorant, through no fault of their own. I talked to literally hundreds of these women.And is she mentally handicapped? Because they sell them in stores across the country.
That's your moral position. Others take other moral positions.Regardless, after viability, the baby must be protected.
Quoted for truth.And it's great that you and your wife faced this, made adjustments and eventually prospered. The fact that you did this does not mean everyone can.
This has nothing to do with God or sacred. Scientifically, conception is the point at which a human life is created. Legally, viability is the point at which the State has an interest in protecting the fetus that overtakes the mother's right to abort (right to privacy, technically for you sticklers).
Sperm is not a human life. Women shed eggs every month. These are not human lives. An embryo is, without question.
But at some point, the embryo becomes a fetus. And at some point, that fetus could be born and survive. That is the point at which it is every bit as human as a 40 week baby about to be born and the point at which it must be protected.
And reducing motherhood to a health decision devalues it.
Do you think that day is a continuum that has no beginning and will never end? I think that life had a beginning (see abiogenesis.) just as our Sun had a beginning. I believe that day begins each morning but I don't know precisely when it begins (see Lokis Paradox).So we are all just, like on a continuum of life that had no beginning and will never end.
Each individual begins separately as sperm and egg. Identical twins start separately, combine into a single organism and then separate into separate organisms again. I can confidently state that a new organism begins before conception, as sperm and egg separately. Children are not clones of each other. This can only happen if each sperm is unique from each other. My children did not get exactly the same DNA from my wife and myself. If they did they would all be the same.Seriously, though...each person's individual life began at some point.
We can also say that their individual life began when the sperm and ovum were created inside of the father and the mother respectively. We can also say that their individual life began when the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall. Identical twins often begin long after conception.I propose that, since each person is a unique combination of maternal and paternal chromosomes, we can say that their individual life began when the sperm and egg came together.
I reject that premise as being without evidence. You have chosen an arbitrary philosophical line to draw in the sand. That organism will not come to fruition if it fails to attach to the uterine wall. An individual human has the functions and form of a human, most importantly the ability to think.Neither the egg nor the sperm are living individual humans.
A.) An arbitrary delineation. B.) You are equivocating. An individual is not fully "themselves" until they are moral agents able to think and feel. You need to be more specific. You should state that an organism does not have a full set of chromosomes until conception. So, by your logic, such an organism is not fully human if it has any defects that result in missing chromosomes, right? Fetuses with missing chromosomes by your definition are not "fully human" and therefore can be aborted, correct?An embryo is the earliest stage at which an individual is fully themselves, genetically anyway.
A.) The point at which you want to legally define a human being and/or a person is just as philosophical. B.) It is not purely philosophical. It's informed by science. The consensus of developmental biologist (experts) do not agree with you. They think your arbitrary delineation is silly and absurd.Now, the point at which you want to legally define a fetus as a "person" is purely philosophical
He is a developmental biologist. This is a valid appeal to authority. Your smilie is not appropriate here. I'm quoting a scientists whose job it is to know what is and is not a human from a developmental POV.The blogger you link to says this: " I’m also confident that the freshly fertilized zygote is not human, either. There’s more to being human than bearing a cell with the right collection of genes." First of all: Argument by assertion (a fallacy).
You are playing semantic games and moving goal posts in an ad hoc fashion to rescue your thesis. A zygote is "human" I assume by "fully human" you mean 32 chromosomes. A zygote is closer along the continuum of "human" than sperm and egg but a viable fetus that can think and feel is also further along the spectrum. What else would sperm be if it isn't human? What is more to being human is the ability to think and feel. See my thought example of the brain transplant above.But more importantly, he says there's more to being human but then doesn't ever tell us what that is. If a zygote isn't fully human, then how about a fetus?
I do not believe that birth fundamentally changes anything other than the ability to breath and exist outside of the womb. That's an interesting scientific and philosophical discussion but I don't have a dog in that hunt. Viability happens at about the time a fetus has the ability to think and feel. I see no reason to terminate a viable fetus. It has to be delivered dead or alive. If it can survive on its own and the woman does not want it then deliver it alive and make it a ward of the state.If you say, it's human when it's actually born, then I ask: what is the scientific process it undergoes while passing through the birth canal that renders "it" into "her" (or "him", I don't want to be sexist).
When I say, "they can decide not to have sex," I shouldn't have to specify that I'm not talking about rape victims.
But you keep having fun building straw men...
So why do they need to change the law concerning the requirement of hospital privileges and doctors being present and such? I thought you said nothing was being changed. If you think they should be legal, then clinics should be left exactly as they are, right? But wait....Neither the egg nor the sperm are living individual humans. An embryo is the earliest stage at which an individual is fully themselves, genetically anyway. Not that this is particularly germane to the discussion, since we all agree that abortion should be legal while in the embryonic stage.
Bingo. These are trap laws. Designed to take away a woman's right to have an abortion. Why differentiate between embryonic and viability? What's the magical change to move the standard from viability? If you can agree that abortion should be legal while in the embryonic stage then why can't we agree that abortion should be legal until viability?...since we all agree that abortion should be legal while in the embryonic stage.
So why do they need to change the law concerning the requirement of hospital privileges and doctors being present and such? I thought you said nothing was being changed. If you think they should be legal, then clinics should be left exactly as they are, right? But wait....
something is different...
Why do conservatives defending the new Texas laws have to lie in order to defend it? XJX is trying to convince people that there are no new barriers to abortion?!
You are just asserting this. But it does raise the question as to why change things at all?I never said no new barriers, I said that not much would change. Rural Texans will still have to travel for abortion, while the people in population centers will have limited access. A slight change from today.
Is there any data that the new law is needed? Absent such data can we admit that these are just trap laws?Whole Woman’s Health, which serves mostly poor and black women, is the only abortion clinic in Beaumont. The next closest one is 80 miles away in Houston. Health care experts predict that most of the 42 abortion clinics in Texas, including this one, could close if the nation’s most restrictive anti-abortion law takes effect as scheduled in September.
I never said no new barriers, I said that not much would change.
There are no barriers to abortion that didn't exist before.
I don't think the Texas law will change access to abortions one iota. There is no undue burden to abortion. There are no more roadblocks now than there were then.
There will be no more roadblocks than currently exist.
This bill doesn't make things any worse than they are now.
And women who choose abortions will not have their access restricted anymore than it is now.
This law doesn't change anything.
The blogger you link to says this: " I’m also confident that the freshly fertilized zygote is not human, either. There’s more to being human than bearing a cell with the right collection of genes."
Likewise, you cannot leave the homo genus by losing this nonexistent qualification. If injury or disease leaves you in a vegetative state you do not stop being a human and become a member of a different species.
I hope I'm not the only person who thinks taxonomic classifications has nothing to do with the ethics of abortion.