Have you spent any time in public schools lately? Does my sketch above reflect your opinion?
Lately? Not unless "lately" means "in the last 25 years". I attended government-operated schools from age 5 to age 18, attended a government-operated university (BA, Math, PD (fifth year certificated) NOT PhD) Secondary Math Education) and taught in the Hawaii DOE schools between 1982 1nd 1995. Since then I have tutored, for a learning center and independently. I follow education-related news and do my own research on school-related issues.
I agree with many of my libertarian friends on many issues. I dissent on environmental issues, immigration, and population (immigration from the future). The world will come to a Chinese-style population policy, if we're lucky. The alternatives (bio-warfare, ecological collapse) are far worse. Many libertarians pay lip service to evolutionary views of culture but then write as though they believed that rights (especially property rights) poured into our universe through a crack from the 7th, 8th and 9th dimensions or something. I prefer an evolutionary approach to policy as well: smooth, incremental change, if possible. Incremental does not have to mean "slow".
While I am convinced that the US would be wealthier, more equitable, and less violent if compulsory attendance statutes, tax support of schools, minimum wage laws, and child labor laws were repealed nationwide in the next legislative cycle (State and national), that's not at all realistic and hardly my recommendation. I recommend
Parent Performance Contracting. I'd happily settle for a law that requires the Hawaii DOE schools to offer credit-by-exam, for a grade, for every course that satisfies a diploma requirement. Even if students have to remain on campus until the end of the school year in which they turn 18, let them run around the track or hang out in the library or the Auto Shop teacher's classroom. Students will work for freedom, and many students want OUT.
Maybe you're right, but I have to ask: Are you basing this on any specific evidence? Or is it more of a general feeling?
Friedman alludes to studies that suggest this. Historical evidence indicates that poor parents scrimped to send children to school. Diane Ravitch (
Left Back, A Century of Failed School Reforms) described advocacy by poor black parents that their children receive the same education that white children received, so it was not a matter of indifference to them, obviously.
I suggest that the welfare state (both tax-subsidized, compulsory schooling by a State-monopoly enterprise and income maintenance programs) and inheritance/estate taxes have reduced the incentives to parents to invest in their own children, but not so much that we can no longer rely on it. Gandhi wrote that parents are the natural teachers of children. Certainly some parents are neglectful and/or abusive. So also are some teachers and many bureaucrats. Evolution will deal with neglectful parents, It won't work on bureaucrats anymore that evolution will reduce predation on gazelles by hyenas. As P. J. O'Rourke observed: "Evolution doesn't work on things that don't die".