Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 15, 2011
- Messages
- 12,901
I can't make up my mind. In my area, school districts until fairly recently had a monopoly on education tax dollars. I never saw head-to-head competition coming when my state's charter school rules were passed.
That was a while ago, and now charters are a bigger threat to school district funding than I thought they'd be.
I just spent a year working at one, and I was impressed by the academic expectations.
Are charters a good thing, giving parents a choice, thus spurring competition, thus raising everyone's game?
Or are they a bad thing, splintering resources and draining much-needed funding from traditional school districts?
By charter I mean: Non-religious schools that receive state funding on a per-student basis, but which have more flexibility to be run as businesses (for example, hiring and firing; relaxed certification requirements for teachers), and typically have less overhead than traditional schools.
I loved the charter where I worked, and hope to return, and I liked that it was not a giant bureaucracy. However, it does divert funds from traditional schools, which are the default for students whose parents didn't shop around. Those students also have a right to equal opportunity in education. So can society have it both ways? School choice, but a sound alternative for children of parents who don't go out of their way to choose?
That was a while ago, and now charters are a bigger threat to school district funding than I thought they'd be.
I just spent a year working at one, and I was impressed by the academic expectations.
Are charters a good thing, giving parents a choice, thus spurring competition, thus raising everyone's game?
Or are they a bad thing, splintering resources and draining much-needed funding from traditional school districts?
By charter I mean: Non-religious schools that receive state funding on a per-student basis, but which have more flexibility to be run as businesses (for example, hiring and firing; relaxed certification requirements for teachers), and typically have less overhead than traditional schools.
I loved the charter where I worked, and hope to return, and I liked that it was not a giant bureaucracy. However, it does divert funds from traditional schools, which are the default for students whose parents didn't shop around. Those students also have a right to equal opportunity in education. So can society have it both ways? School choice, but a sound alternative for children of parents who don't go out of their way to choose?