• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Miracle of the Shroud / Blood on the shroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
- It turns out that Michael Baden still has a practice in NYC. I've tried to call his office to see how best to ask him an "academic" question, but so far, I only get a busy signal. I'll try some more, but if the busy signal keeps up, I'll send him a fax.
- His office # is 212-397-2732. His fax # is 212-397-2754. In case someone else might try to reach him...
--- Jabba


He probably has a "crank filter" installed.

Seriously, this whole evasion is pathetic. What do you hope to achieve with this "phone-a-friend" lark? Do you think they've been keeping some proofs of shroud authenticity up their sleeves just in case someone from the internet is doing a piss-poor job of convincing sceptics?
 
Do you have permission to post Dr Baden's contact details on the forum, Jabba? Whilst I accept it's publicly available information, I'm not sure that he would want his contact numbers displayed like that. I have reported your post as it's too late for you to edit it.
 
Do you have permission to post Dr Baden's contact details on the forum, Jabba? Whilst I accept it's publicly available information, I'm not sure that he would want his contact numbers displayed like that. I have reported your post as it's too late for you to edit it.

Right. That's a little iffy. No permission. I wouldn't be at all happy if my phone and fax were to be published.
 
Hold on? Do you think the shroud might be a first century fax? It would explain why it's one continuous piece and DOC has already ptoved in another thread that paper didn't exist back then.
 
- It turns out that Michael Baden still has a practice in NYC. I've tried to call his office to see how best to ask him an "academic" question, but so far, I only get a busy signal. I'll try some more, but if the busy signal keeps up, I'll send him a fax.
- His office # is XXX-XXX-XXXX. His fax # is XXX-XXX-XXXX. In case someone else might try to reach him...
--- Jabba

Great job. Jabba. If were Baden, and hadn't changed my phone numbers before you posted them, I would have by the time I read this.

I wonder if you think he appreciates you posting this on the World-Wide Web. It seems like an incredibly asinine thing to do. :(

ETA: I also reported your post in the interest of caution before I saw that someone else had done so already.
 
Last edited:
Jabba, I've made this perfectly clear to you before, and time has not dulled this statement: Until you can prove some relevant flaw in the C14 dating, this "It's not 100% perfect" garbage is just that--garbage. DISHONEST garbage, as the argument relies on all of us ignoring the fact that every time you go down this rabbit hole you've been burried in data. YOU ARE WRONG. You are DEMONSTRABLY wrong. And you demonstrably do not have a high-school level of understanding of radiometric dating, and therefore your gut feeling has as much validity as a squirrel's.

Have you read any relevant textbooks on radiometric dating? Have you learned anything about it? Last time we went down this road you said you thought radiometric decay was linear. Have you actually bothered to learn the subject? Or is this yet more pontification from ignorance?

Jabba said:
1. The stains are real blood.
Proof is required to support this nonsense. You've failed to do so thus far.

2. They could not have been PAINTED on the Shroud.
Proof is required to support this nonsense. You've failed to do so thus far.

3. They had to be “imprinted” on from a real, dead human.
You haven't proven this. However, even if we accept that these three are true it still doesn't support your argument. There were a LOT of dead bodies in the Middle Ages. Many of them flogged.

4. This human was crucified.
You're begging a number of questions here.

5. A 14th century artisan able to produce this image would have to be an absolute genius.
So? There were many artistic geniuses in the Middle Ages. The fact that you're completely ignorant of the Middle Ages in no way constitutes an argument.

6. He would be able to produce an artifact that even 21st century scientists cannot.
We've proven this wrong so many times that I can only assume that you're attempting to dishonestly hoodwink Akri. Trust me, that won't work.

7. The wounds fit perfectly with those of the Biblical Jesus and modern medicine.
Ironic how a Medieval artifact can fit perfectly with a description that was widely known and written centuries earlier.

8. They do not all agree with tradition.
MODERN tridations that YOU are aware of. Got any documentation that these were the traditions of the Middle Ages?

9. This artisan genius would also have to be sociopathic.
I have already explained to you that this is wrong. ANY artist in ANY monastery would have known a lot of people who had flogged themselves, and possibly a number of people who had been temporarily crucified.

10. He would also have to be rich.
Proof? Also, he could have been a monk. They had access to everything needed--art supplies, woven cloth, flogged people, people with crucifiction wounds, all of it.

11. He should also be famous, and have produced other images of the same genre.
Right. Because there's absolutely no tradition of monks doing this sort of thing in secret, and CERTAINLY no black-market for holy artifacts.

Wait, no, I'm sorry, there were both of those.

Therefore: it is EXTREMELY improbable that the Shroud is a fake from the 14th century.
Putting numbers on lies, assertions, and baseless statements does not turn them into arguments, Jabba. It merely makes it easier for us to know where to put the "quote" tags.
 
Honestly, even if every one of Jabba's premises AND his conclusion were correct, it still wouldn't matter in the end. As Sherlock Holmes put it, "when you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." The C14 dating makes it impossible for the shroud to come from the 1st century. So no matter how unlikely the Middle Ages forgery explanation is, it still must be the truth.
 
- Try this.
1. The stains are real blood.
2. They could not have been PAINTED on the Shroud.
3. They had to be “imprinted” on from a real, dead human.
4. This human was crucified.
5. A 14th century artisan able to produce this image would have to be an absolute genius.
6. He would be able to produce an artifact that even 21st century scientists cannot.
7. The wounds fit perfectly with those of the Biblical Jesus and modern medicine.
8. They do not all agree with tradition.
9. This artisan genius would also have to be sociopathic.
10. He would also have to be rich.
11. He should also be famous, and have produced other images of the same genre.
12. He probably wasn’t Leonardo.
- Therefore: it is EXTREMELY improbable that the Shroud is a fake from the 14th century.

--- Jabba


This line of "logic" basically comes down an argument from personal incredulity. "Gee, it seems to me that it would be very difficult and unlikely for a 14th century artist to create this artifact. Therefore, it couldn't have happened that way."

Something being unlikely (or, more accurately, something you believe is unlikely) doesn't mean you should ignore contrary evidence. In this case, the contrary evidence is extremely strong. So it is entirely possible that such an unlikely event occured or that you have misjudged how unlikely it is.
 
I'm gonna weigh-in here, Jabba.

Your arguments and evidence amount to little more than appeals to ignorance.

I welcome your retorts, but I expect little in the way of logical rejoinders.
 
You only wish that his login failed.
D'oh. Blame the documentation I'm writing for that typo. :o

Do you have permission to post Dr Baden's contact details on the forum, Jabba? Whilst I accept it's publicly available information, I'm not sure that he would want his contact numbers displayed like that. I have reported your post as it's too late for you to edit it.
Imaging if Jabba had posted his details on a shroudie site.....

Honestly, even if every one of Jabba's premises AND his conclusion were correct, it still wouldn't matter in the end. As Sherlock Holmes put it, "when you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." The C14 dating makes it impossible for the shroud to come from the 1st century. So no matter how unlikely the Middle Ages forgery explanation is, it still must be the truth.
Just consider the mound of interlocking evidence in favour of the medieval fakery; individually the elements are enough to make the assumption reasonable, together they create a well-nigh unassailable case.
 
- It turns out that Michael Baden still has a practice in NYC. I've tried to call his office to see how best to ask him an "academic" question, but so far, I only get a busy signal. I'll try some more, but if the busy signal keeps up, I'll send him a fax.
- His office # is (deleted). His fax # is (deleted). In case someone else might try to reach him...
--- Jabba

How to best ask an academic question?
KISS.
 
Akri,

- Welcome aboard.

- Try this.
1. The stains are real blood.
2. They could not have been PAINTED on the Shroud.
3. They had to be “imprinted” on from a real, dead human.
4. This human was crucified.
5. A 14th century artisan able to produce this image would have to be an absolute genius.
6. He would be able to produce an artifact that even 21st century scientists cannot.
7. The wounds fit perfectly with those of the Biblical Jesus and modern medicine.
8. They do not all agree with tradition.
9. This artisan genius would also have to be sociopathic.
10. He would also have to be rich.
11. He should also be famous, and have produced other images of the same genre.
12. He probably wasn’t Leonardo.
- Therefore: it is EXTREMELY improbable that the Shroud is a fake from the 14th century.

--- Jabba

I am betting you will ignore this like you ingored 10000 other post telling you are wrong, but hey let me try the "show jabba he is wrong only to be subsequently ignored" game.

(1). is not demonstrated but even if it was :

(2) You can paint with blood. Example amy winehouse vincent castelgliana (sp?). You can paint with all sort of liquid or semi liquid, including urine, feces. Therefore your point 2 is invalid.

Due to (2) being invalid you CANNOT claim (3) as logical reasonning

(5) is wrong, because it assume a 14th century person CANNOT be a genius. It is wrong. There could be genius there and then as of today. Middle age people were like us you know, mostly, jsut the education sucked hard. But artisan, were learning by doing folk, and very good artisan painted the sixtine capel for example. Your dead guy isn't even on that level frankly.

(6) mostly because nobody care to reproduce it. There is nothing absolutely nothing which looks complicated on the bloody cloth (haha). It isn't even a true corpse as a true corpse would be deformed (already told you that). There has been attempt at reproduction (you were also told that) which are good enough for the money invested.

It is the same stupid argument people use to say that pyramid were constructed by ancient alien "haha you boogy bugger scientist can't even reproduce a pyramid/machu pichu today", or the megalithe, until somebody build their own megalithe using a hammer , some wood , and stone, and a few corde and *NO* complciated mechanism, not even a wheel. Just plain wood hammer and corde.

The main reason nobody does the same type of painting is because it is boring, would not sell much, and has no real skill value.

(9) And ? Sociopath exists, sociopath existed in the 14th century. Ever heard of vlad the impaler ? The guy which hammered nail in the skull of a living guy ?

For pity's sake , impaling thru anus or vagina, and other gruesome treatment , like quartering or pulling the entrail of a still living person was done routinely. *torture* aka questionning was done routinely to extract confession.

And you tell us you doubt ana rtist would be a sociopath ?

but more importantely you do not need to be a sociopath to sell to church idiot a relic back on the 14th century, you jsut need to be a bloody thief scammer wanting to make money off a few suckers.

(10) nothing in the story indicate a rich person would have to abck this up. in fact a normal relic scammer (not rich not poor) would be more likely. You jsut are piling stuff pulled out of thin air in the intention to make it less likely without having evidence of this

(11) or he would be an intelligent scammer stopping when he got enough money to continue living with ease. Remember he was a genius (haha). OR the other fake relic were less sucessful and were simply discarded by shamed sucker which wanted to rather have the proof disappear they were gotten. just like today when suckers would rather not admit they were scammed.

Your reasonning fall apart on many point.

Go back to the drawing board.
 
Last edited:
Blood

1. Akri, post #4611:
Why not just tell us what the entire syllogism is first?

2. Jabba, #4627:
1. The stains are real blood.
2. They could not have been PAINTED on the Shroud.
3. They had to be “imprinted” on from a real, dead human.
4. This human was crucified.
5. A 14th century artisan able to produce this image would have to be an absolute genius.
6. He would be able to produce an artifact that even 21st century scientists cannot.
7. The wounds fit perfectly with those of the Biblical Jesus and modern medicine.
8. They do not all agree with tradition.
9. This artisan genius would also have to be sociopathic.
10. He would also have to be rich.
11. He should also be famous, and have produced other images of the same genre.
12. He probably wasn’t Leonardo.
- Therefore: it is EXTREMELY improbable that the Shroud is a fake from the 14th century.


3. Re premise #1 above:
a. #4628, Belz:
Unproven.
b. 4633, Resume:
Evidence?
c. 4650, Agatha:
You have not shown convincing evidence of this.
d. 4653, Akhenaten:
For this to be in any way significant you need to demonstrate that it's blood from the first century.
How do you plan to do that? Carbon dating?

e. 4655, Catsmate:
Unproven assertion. There is no proof of any blood on the shroud (as has been pointed out to you many times) and all the "evidence" cited by shroudies falls apart on inspection.
Fail.

f. 4668, Dinwar:
Proof is required to support this nonsense. You've failed to do so thus far.
g. 4674, Aepervious:
is not demonstrated but even if it was :

4. #4638, Jabba:
- I'm not sure of the right terms of logic to use, but the premises I gave are just separate conclusions that I have reached. And my objective now is to support each one -- one at a time.
- Akri asked for the whole syllogism, so I sort of gave him (or her) the "Table of Contents" for my hopefully forthcoming "book." Now, I'll try to write the first chapter.


5. Re 3.a., b. & c., above:
a. I was beginning in my efforts to bring forth whatever evidence I had, and could muster, when I felt the need to help my friend and finish up with his TWA 800 conspiracy theory.
b. I’m back, and I will now try to take up where I left off a month and a half ago (though, I still need to go back, converse with my friend, and finish up my summary over there).
c. Again (as in #4 above), my “premises” were actually my “interim conclusions” that I will now support as best I can – one at a time.
d. So, my first focus will be my claim that the “blood stains” on the Shroud were real blood and your call for evidence.
e. I may be wasting time with this preface (as I'm sure that you guys believe), but it is in an effort to figure out how best to deal with so many opponents, questions and comments in a timely manner when I haven’t kept good track of the relevant material I’ve been reading (not really “studying” until recently) over the last 40(?) years.
f. But, I'll be back.

--- Jabba
 
d. So, my first focus will be my claim that the “blood stains” on the Shroud were real blood and your call for evidence.

There's no point in doing this. Even if we accept every single step in that syllogism and your conclusion that it would be unlikely for someone in the Middle Ages to have made the shroud, we still have to conclude that that's what happened. The current evidence shows it being impossible for the shroud to be from the 1st century. Not unlikely, but impossible. And as Holmes said, "when you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." No matter how unlikely the forgery idea is, it's still more likely than an impossibility.
 
Human blood was as readily available in the 14th Century as the 1st.

You don't have to kill someone to get human blood. I've been known to give up a pint to the Red Cross from time to time.

That's if it even was human blood. Animal blood was also readily available.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom